X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Star Trek TNG On Bluray!!

Saw this earlier, looks awesome! Looks like they're going to do it right!

trailer here: http://www.startrek.com/news_articles

CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.
    I'm stoked! I'm a huge TNG fan, and the DVD sets look & sound absolutely horrible.
    -Chuck
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool. I was big into TNG as a teenager. Matter of fact, before the internet, I was part of modem bulletin boards that discussed ST topics. "Best of Both Worlds" was a HUGE season cliffhanger for me, and I anxiously awaited Part II all summer.

Now, I'm honestly not such a huge ST fan (of any of the series) that I might go out and actually buy the whole series, but... eh... you never know.

I had a thing for Beverly Crusher.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Sweet! I loved TNG back in the day. Haven't seen it since... well, since it was discontinued. I had a couple episodes on laserdisc back in the day, but I'm looking forward to this set.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

So I bought Season 1 the other day and am almost done with it. Awesome quality overall, light years (pun intended) better than the old DVD set, which was horrible. Was funny while going through season 1, one episode (#24) has a caption beside it in the menu "NOTE: Episode contains 2 seconds of SD footage upconverted to HD". Lol, guess that shows you just how much attention to detail they made. Also got it on sale, was marked at $59.99 at best buy (to which I happened to have a $15 rewardzone coupon). Definitely recommended if you're a TNG fan. I'll be getting all 7 for sure
        -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

I read this on TrekCore:

CBS ISSUES STATEMENT ON TNG S1 DISK REPLACEMENT

Jul 31, 2012: CBS Issues TNG S1 Disk Replacement Statement
          Just six days after the official release of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-Ray, CBS have issued a press release regarding a disk replacement programme for the three discs in the set affected by audio problems. It's wonderful to see CBS reacting so fast to the problem. Here's the statement in full, including what you need to do to get your new discs:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 ( 877-335-8936 ) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
          So, if you're seeing audio issues in 5.1 or 7.1, CBS will replace the affected discs for you.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Interesting, does it say which episodes? I've watched all of discs 1, 3 and 4 and didn't particularly notice anything, but then again I wasn't always in my optimal listening spot either.
            -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I think the prime directive says, "above all, thou shalt not interfere with the original audio and video".
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

They took my info for the disc exchange very quickly and said they'll ship out on the 10th, pretty cool. Very nice set :T (and very worth it for any TNG fan, if any of you recall the DVD sets were like $100+ per season back in the day.)
                -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Got my replacement discs today, very impressed with how well they handled the situation. And thanks again Kevin! I might have missed the opportunity had you not posted that article.
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

I wonder how long I should wait to order the set in hopes that the fixed discs are included. Just to avoid the hassle of having them replaced.

Just read this on TrekCore. The replacement discs have some effects shots fixed as well:
                    TrekCore can also now reveal that in addition to the corrected audio, CBS also took the opportunity to fix a small handful of SFX mistakes that crept into the first season. Amongst them are a missing phaser beam from the Klingon-heavy episode "Heart of Glory" - now reinserted into the fixed Season 1 sets. CBS have really gone out of their way to make these sets perfect in every possible way, going to the additional expense of re-editing the masters to fix these small FX issues that crept through.

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Hmm I think I'll have to check it out and see where that is.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Yep, in the scene where the klingons are breaking out of the brig, when one of them shoots the security guy. No beam on the old disc, beam there on the new disc. Haha. Nice attention to detail.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

Looks like season 3 was just announced: http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/s...iler-padd-app/

[youtube]n85J7KYOtAg[/youtube]

No release date yet, just says soon
                          -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Finally got the chance to watch a few episodes of season 1. Looked and sounded FANTASTIC :T
                            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I'm at the end of season 2 now.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

Season 3 comes out in three weeks woo hoo!
                                -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

Was just perusing Amazon and noticed that Paramount is about to also release "Best of Both Worlds" part 1 & 2 as an edited together feature length standalone bluray. I realize it's a double dip (if you're buying all the seasons) but think it's a pretty cool idea and I hope they do it with some of the other big two parters too!

edit: just noticed the word "BOOB" is in the permalink url, haha.
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

DANGIT! Apparently last night was a one time deal where they showed Best of Both Worlds as a feature length movie in theaters! I didn't know about this until I saw someone post it on their wall on Facebook after they were already there....
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

What does Star Trek and toilet paper have in common???.

.....They both circle you're anus........looking for cling..on's !!! Hehehe!!!!
                                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• impala454
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2007

I'm getting behind on these, Season 3 and 4 have been out a while, and now Season 5 comes out in November. Weird thing, I noticed Season 5 is going to come out at $119. While Season 4 is showing retail of $129.99, but $59.99 (think I paid like $75 for season 2?). Weird.
                                        -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Well you're doing better than us...we haven't even started season two yet :lol:
                                          Jason

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

Eh I've turned into a cheapskate, waiting for someone to gift em too me now, heh.
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Yeah, I think when you buy TV shows on disc, at some point, you just kind of run out of steam. I've started to collect some shows on DVD, and either lost motivation after buying a season or two, or even if I bought more, just lost motivation while working my way through watching them. I've petered out on some good shows, like Quantum Leap, The Greatest American Hero, Frasier, The Muppet Show, and others. I've actually made it through ALL seasons of entire shows on DVD, in very few instances, like the new Battlestar Galactica.

There just seems to be a different feel, between watching a 1-hour show, once a week, 12 episodes a year, for 5-6 years, or trying to watch a show several hours straight, over the course of just a few weeks or months.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2007

I really like that they've started taking some of the major 2 parters and turned them into feature length blurays. I might get them. So far I've seen Best of Both Worlds and Unification, both awesome episodes.
                                                -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"