X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Star Trek: TNG on bluray

So we discussed a little in the main thread but I figured it deserved its own thread, considering it's going to be a long drawn out release schedule. I picked up the three episode preview:

So far I've watched Encounter at Farpoint and Sins of the Father. Inner Light is running right now. I used to own all seven seasons on DVD, and have likely seen every episode in the series at least 5-10 times, and there's probably a chunk of twenty episodes that I've seen 20-30 times a piece if that shows how much time I have watching these previously. That said, these three episodes look amazing compared to the DVD set. That statement comes with the disclaimer that the DVD set was absolutely horrible. Anyways they did a great job on this preview and I hope the rest look as good. I'll definitely be investing (it won't be cheap) in the full seasons as they come out.

The menus are pretty cool and in the LCARS Star Trek computer style. No special features to speak of, other than the trailer and teaser for the series.

Oh and one more thing, I thought I had read somewhere that they were reframing the episodes for 16x9, but that's not the case. It's 4:3 stuck inside a 16:9 frame (forget the official AV term for that). Makes sense though as they'd cut off a lot of the material if they'd reframed it for 16:9.
    -Chuck
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, baby! Beverly Crusher in HD. :banana:

I have good memories of STTNG from high school. I
    At the time, I thought Best of Both Worlds was THE greatest tv episode EVER. Matter of fact, I used to discuss STTNG on bulletin boards using a modem, before the existence of the Internet.

I won't buy pre-sets, but I'll consider the eventual complete set release.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah... can't wait for the full seasons to start coming out. Also good to hear the quality is there, thanks Chuck :T
      Jason

Comment

• kpodolski
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by impala454
        So we discussed a little in the main thread but I figured it deserved its own thread, considering it's going to be a long drawn out release schedule. I picked up the three episode preview:

So far I've watched Encounter at Farpoint and Sins of the Father. Inner Light is running right now. I used to own all seven seasons on DVD, and have likely seen every episode in the series at least 5-10 times, and there's probably a chunk of twenty episodes that I've seen 20-30 times a piece if that shows how much time I have watching these previously. That said, these three episodes look amazing compared to the DVD set. That statement comes with the disclaimer that the DVD set was absolutely horrible. Anyways they did a great job on this preview and I hope the rest look as good. I'll definitely be investing (it won't be cheap) in the full seasons as they come out.

The menus are pretty cool and in the LCARS Star Trek computer style. No special features to speak of, other than the trailer and teaser for the series.

Oh and one more thing, I thought I had read somewhere that they were reframing the episodes for 16x9, but that's not the case. It's 4:3 stuck inside a 16:9 frame (forget the official AV term for that). Makes sense though as they'd cut off a lot of the material if they'd reframed it for 16:9.

Is it really that good on bluray? I've watched a few episodes on BBC/HD and I wasn't blown away. It looked ok but nothing spectacular.

I realize the shows are old school, but I just thought the HD version would be better. Unless they are broadcasting the old transfer? If that's the case I might want to hold judgement until I see the bluray versions?......
        The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

I highly doubt what you saw on BBC HD was the same as the bluray. They've only released the three episode teaser bluray I linked above. They're slowly working on the rest and won't have season one until "sometime later in 2012". They definitely look good, way better than the DVD set.

here's the trailer:
          [youtube]-DZEcKM33YY[/youtube]
          -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Make it so, Number One...
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• kpodolski
              • Jun 2006

Only 7.1 soundtrack? Cheap bastards. I wanted 20.5 channel.........
              The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Noticed while watching an episode today that it looks like they also redid the computer display shots where that's all that's in the shot. They look very HD.
                -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"