X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Harry Brown not just another...

...vigilante film. There is an excellent storyline with a powerful performance from Michael Caine.

After the death of his wife, Harry Brown is left with one old friend, Leonard Attwell. But things get complicated when Atwell, tired of being tormented by a bunch of young thugs, tells Harry is has had enough and intends to defend himself. Harry calms him down but that night Attwell is beaten to death. Now Harry has no one, and in his grief he decides to call on his military experience ( a Royal Marine who was taught how to kill ) and get his revenge.

It's a little bit of Death Wish and Grand Torino, but the big difference here is the believability of Harry Brown due to a fantastic tour de force by Michael Caine. It may be a bit too violent for some, but I still recommend it highly.

I watched it on Blu-ray and it is not your average hi-def transfer. The colors are muted and fleshtones washed out, all for atmospheric reasons, and it works. The audio, when called on is sharp and realistic.

As I said, it is violent and depresseing in some ways, but if you can handle it, you will be rewarded in the end.
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I wasn't aware of this film at all. Thanks for the heads-up Sir George - it sounds like a good one.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Been looking forward to this one for a while. Glad it meets with your approval.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

George, you staying dry? Heard the hurricane downgraded, but headed up your way.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
          George, you staying dry? Heard the hurricane downgraded, but headed up your way.
          Yep, it made landfall in Nova Scotia, close to Halifax, then moved up the province and over us. Although it landed as a category 1, it petered out by the time it was in my area. Lots of wind and some rain and some tree damage, but it moved quickly. We lost power for about 6 hours.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Just watched this and quite liked it. Caine is outstanding in the title role and the film's gritty realism is a good antidote to the hyper-kinetic "action" movies that dominate the genre of crime dramas (I like a good action movie with great effects too, but I also appreciate smaller films like this one). Anyone who is a fan of 70s era gritty crime dramas should give this a screening.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
              Anyone who is a fan of 70s era gritty crime dramas should give this a screening.
              I agree totally.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"