Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Harry Potter 5 due out in june!

Fifth Harry Potter Book Due on June 21
    33 minutes ago

By Dan Lalor

LONDON (Reuters) - "Harry Potter (news - web sites) and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth book of adventures of the boy wizard by author J.K. Rowling (news - web sites), is due to be published on June 21, its British publisher said Wednesday.

Reuters Photo

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is absolutely superb and will delight all J.K. Rowling's fans," Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. chief executive Nigel Newton said in a statement.

The book, which at 38 chapters and 255,000 words, will be a third longer than the last book -- "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" -- is also being published by U.S. children's book publisher Scholastic Corp.

Fans will have had a three-year wait for "Order of the Phoenix." "Goblet of Fire" was published Saturday, July 8, 2000, and was the fastest-selling book in history on the first weekend of its publication.

The first few sentences of the book are: "The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive ... The only person left outside was a teenage boy who was lying flat on his back in a flowerbed outside number four."

The book may have a darker side than the earlier escapades.

Bloomsbury said Rowling also writes: "Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses. "It is time," he said, "for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry.

"Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything."

All four Harry Potter books -- "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone," "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," as well as "Goblet of Fire" -- have been No. 1 bestsellers and are still on bestseller lists around the world.

Rowling has gotten married since "Goblet of Fire" was published and is pregnant, with the baby due this spring.

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

more info...

New 'Potter' book out in June
    By SUE LEEMAN
    Associated Press
    LONDON -- Harry rides (his broom) again.

After months of feverish anticipation, author J.K. Rowling has completed the fifth book about young wizard Harry Potter, and it will be published in Canada, the United States, Britain and several other countries on June 21, her publishers said Wednesday.

At 768 pages, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is more than one-third longer than its predecessor, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Britain's Bloomsbury Publishers said.

"We are thrilled to announce the publication date," chief executive Nigel Newton said in a joint statement with Barbara Marcus, president of Scholastic Children's Books, Rowling's U.S. publisher.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is absolutely superb and will delight all J.K. Rowling's fans. She has written a brilliant and utterly compelling new adventure," Newton said.

When the book failed to make it into print last year, as expected, there was speculation that Rowling -- now one of Britain's richest women -- was suffering from writer's block. She denied it, but the book has had a far longer gestation period than the earlier ones.

Fans will have to wait, because no details of the latest story have been revealed.

But the publishers did let slip that the book begins, "The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive ... The only person left outside was a teenage boy who was lying flat on his back in a flowerbed outside number four."

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is over 255,000 words compared to over 191,000 words in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Released in July 2000, the Goblet of Fire book sold more copies on the first weekend after publication than any other book, according to Bloomsbury Publishers.

Rowling's four published titles have sold an estimated 192 million copies worldwide in hard and soft cover, and the books have been published in at least 55 languages and distributed in more than 200 countries.

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

All I have to say is that it's about time!!! I've read all the Potter books and it has been an extremely long wait. I'll be getting my hands on a copy as soon as its out. By the way, the darker, the better as far as I'm concerned. I have a theory about what Dumbledore is going to reveal to Harry, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone in case I'm right.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• RedStep
        • Sep 2002

And it's great to be able to encourage youngsters to dable in the dark side :roll:
        (Oh, did I say that out loud, I'm sorry that was an opinion)

RedStep
        We are truly a product of the decisions we make
        RedStep

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

All right! :T I hope it lives up to the rest of the series.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

And it's great to be able to encourage youngsters to dable in the dark side
            Are you serious with this oppinion or was that a joke? Not trying to judge just curious.

Comment

• RedStep
              • Sep 2002

Very Serious...But, this is not a forum for personal convictions or political opinion. And certainly not a place to debate Harry Potter. My sincere apology!

RedStep
              RedStep

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

don't appologize you have every right to your oppinions. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on why they're so bad...email me if you would like to share them.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"