X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Final Harry Potter installment - Deathly Hallows Part II

Just came from a midnight showing of DH Pt II. I really liked it! I'd say it was my favorite of the bunch. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan or anything--read the first book, and have seen all the other movies, but don't own any of them. JKR definitely continues the descent into "dark" settings with this final installment. I think we cut my 7 year-old daughter off after seeing the first two movies, and it'll be a while before we let her see the rest, especially this one. IMHO, definitely not for kids anymore!

Pretty good pacing, good story, great character developments, good injection of humor, didn't really detect any cheesy stuff. I'll give it 4 or 4.5 stars out of 5. Not a perfect movie--I didn't find myself walking out of the theater saying, "I LOVED that film!" But still very solid.

One of the things I can't figure out here. ABSOLUTELY a spoiler, so don't read if you haven't seen the film, and make sure you put spoiler tags around any reply on the subject. How did Harry come back to life? He found out that he was an additional "accidental" Horcrux, and had to be destroyed to kill all of Voldemort's power. (and then I'm also not sure why Harry sacrificed himself without first killing Nigiri the snake, so Harry's death would be the final blow) So Voldemort killed him, releasing the life he had stored in Harry unknowingly. In Harry's dream sequence, he all of the sudden says to Dumbledore, "I have to go back now, don't I?" Why would he be able to go back? Why is he not fully dead? EVERY other Horcrux was completely destroyed when it was, well, destroyed. Why did Harry come back to life? Again, I haven't read the book.

Movie is recommended to anyone who has watched the other HP movies. I do recommend watching all the other HP's before watching this final chapter, and you may even want to consider re-watching them again, so you remember all the little details, as this final chapter does heavily wrap up details from the other movies. (i.e. you need to know what the "Deathly Hallows" are)
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
    Just came from a midnight showing of DH Pt II. I really liked it! I'd say it was my favorite of the bunch. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan or anything--read the first book, and have seen all the other movies, but don't own any of them. JKR definitely continues the descent into "dark" settings with this final installment. I think we cut my 7 year-old daughter off after seeing the first two movies, and it'll be a while before we let her see the rest, especially this one. IMHO, definitely not for kids anymore!

Pretty good pacing, good story, great character developments, good injection of humor, didn't really detect any cheesy stuff. I'll give it 4 or 4.5 stars out of 5. Not a perfect movie--I didn't find myself walking out of the theater saying, "I LOVED that film!" But still very solid.

One of the things I can't figure out here. ABSOLUTELY a spoiler, so don't read if you haven't seen the film, and make sure you put spoiler tags around any reply on the subject. How did Harry come back to life? He found out that he was an additional "accidental" Horcrux, and had to be destroyed to kill all of Voldemort's power. (and then I'm also not sure why Harry sacrificed himself without first killing Nigiri the snake, so Harry's death would be the final blow) So Voldemort killed him, releasing the life he had stored in Harry unknowingly. In Harry's dream sequence, he all of the sudden says to Dumbledore, "I have to go back now, don't I?" Why would he be able to go back? Why is he not fully dead? EVERY other Horcrux was completely destroyed when it was, well, destroyed. Why did Harry come back to life? Again, I haven't read the book.

Movie is recommended to anyone who has watched the other HP movies. I do recommend watching all the other HP's before watching this final chapter, and you may even want to consider re-watching them again, so you remember all the little details, as this final chapter does heavily wrap up details from the other movies. (i.e. you need to know what the "Deathly Hallows" are)
    I just re-watched all the others starting on Wed. Night and finished them up at 12:30 last night and headed to the theater this morning.I really enjoyed it as well a big :T from me & I recommend all the films. Excellent movies I liked them all but starting with the 3rd one they really picked up IMO.

As for your questions this is my impression: I believe it was the "resurrection stone" that was inside the golden snitch that allowed him to return after Voldemort killed him. As Dumbledore said Harry was the Horcrux Voldemort never intended to make, I assume Voldemort was unaware of it. As to why he sacrificed himself prior to killing Nigiri, I assumed it was because Voldemort kept hiding/moving Nigiri & the best way to get a shot at killing her was to get Voldemort to believe that he had won. With the connection between them I figured Harry felt they couldn't get a shot at Nigiri any other way. Judging by the conversation he had with Ron & Hermione I don't think Harry knew he would make it back, I think he thought Ron and Hermione would have to kill Nigiri and the rest would have to finish off Voldemort as he would then be mortal. That's my take on it but having not read the books either I'm not really sure. I do plan on reading the books now though.

I'm actually kind of bummed that there won't be any other Potter movies. I've seen everyone of them in the theater opening weekend, they've been kind of a tradition.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ah, but I actually thought about the Resurrection Stone as well... Harry drops the Stone in the forest (could be some debate as to why he did that) BEFORE he went and confronted Voldemort. So he didn't have the stone and its powers with him when he died.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• M.Roberts8
        • Jan 2006

Ah, but I actually thought about the Resurrection Stone as well... Harry drops the Stone in the forest (could be some debate as to why he did that) BEFORE he went and confronted Voldemort. So he didn't have the stone and its powers with him when he died.
        I thought that as well but perhaps one only needs to use it and then is protected for a period of time. When his family re-appears and talks with them I took that as an indication that he used/activated the stome. I did however think it was odd that he simply drops it in the forest. I was like dude why wouldn't you take it with you, just in case?
        Anyhow there are many questions I have, I believe the best solution is to read the books. I'm picking up all seven in hardcover. Found them on ebay for like 100.00 in a trunk like the first 5 blu-rays are in.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I thought the same thing when he dropped the stone. Perhaps Harry just isn't power hungry, and didn't want the power (and typical corruption) that came with the stone. But he was about to go face his arch nemesis. Why wouldn't he want all possible power with him, going into the penultimate battle?

If the answer was that he didn't WANT to be resurrected, that he was resigned to sacrifice himself so that Voldemort could be vanquished, then why after that would he not only come back to life, but be the first to realize that it was even an optilon?
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

I thought the same thing when he dropped the stone. Perhaps Harry just isn't power hungry, and didn't want the power (and typical corruption) that came with the stone. But he was about to go face his arch nemesis. Why wouldn't he want all possible power with him, going into the penultimate battle?

If the answer was that he didn't WANT to be resurrected, that he was resigned to sacrifice himself so that Voldemort could be vanquished, then why after that would he not only come back to life, but be the first to realize that it was even an optilon?
            You know looking back on it maybe he didn't realize he had used the stone at all. This wouldn't have been the first time he spoke with dead family members. Though when the stone came out of the snitch I thought I saw the symbol for the deathly hallows on it. If it did Harry would have to be a complete idiot to not realize what it was & even dumber for not taking it into battle. Maybe he had resigned himself to dying. In all honesty the guy has to be getting tired of all this crap happening to him.

Harry's definitely not power hungry as he simply throws away the elder wand.

What did you think of the expansion on Severus Snape's character? I thought it was pretty good. Especially after re-watching the first 7 films. I love loss-less audio you can actually hear pretty clearly small bits of conversation when people walk in. Like in Half-blood prince when Harry goes to Dumbledore's room and he walks in on Snape and Dumbledore talking. Right before they go get the Horcrux & Dumbledore dies when they get back.

I was also curious if Harry's cloak was the deathly hallows cloak? They never really say but I suspect not because it would seem Dumbledore knew he was in Haggred's hut in the Chamber of Secrets. If death can't find the wearer it would seem odd that Dumbledore would know he was there.
            But they never really look for it or seem to care about it at all.

I got to be honest it is starting to seem like I can't get these books fast enough.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
              • Jan 2006

I also am having a hard time thinking we are the only two on the forum that has seen this movie?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

This thread looks like a bunch of censored government documents released to the press... :lol:

I haven't seen any of the Potter films. Just not my cup of tea.

But don't be surprised at the lack of participation at The Guide. It's been this way for some time now. I sometimes think it's a waste of time posting dvd reviews over at DVD Director, but what the heck. :roll:
                My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                  • Jan 2006

I confess I spend quite a bit more of my time at the blu-ray forum than anywhere else. Well there and a couple of motorcycle forums.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Heheheheeee....

Yeah, although it's not ever clearly stated, I think we have to conclude that Harry's invisibility cloak is the one from the Deathly Hallows. There aren't any others that are even mentioned in HP's world. Could be a coincidence, but it'd be a big one.

It was funny seeing Hermione's, Ron's, and even the audience's reaction when Harry breaks the Elder Wand and throws it away.

Perhaps we'll see another sequel series with the kids. Son of Harry?

I always thought Ginny was a cutie.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                      But don't be surprised at the lack of participation at The Guide. It's been this way for some time now. I sometimes think it's a waste of time posting dvd reviews over at DVD Director, but what the heck. :roll:
                      George, be happy that more people read your reviews than read my music DVD reviews!

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by bigburner
                        George, be happy that more people read your reviews than read my music DVD reviews!

Nigel.
                        Really ? Okay, misery loves company.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Silver1omo
                          • Sep 2010

Heheheheeee....

Yeah, although it's not ever clearly stated, I think we have to conclude that Harry's invisibility cloak is the one from the Deathly Hallows. There aren't any others that are even mentioned in HP's world. Could be a coincidence, but it'd be a big one.

It was funny seeing Hermione's, Ron's, and even the audience's reaction when Harry breaks the Elder Wand and throws it away.

I just watched it yesterday In the book Hermione does mention that the cloak is one of the hallows I don't remember the details I read it at release date... over all is a good movie, they just ignored some details that make Albus's character deeper.
                          Ivan.
                          My Statement monitors

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                            • Jan 2006

Heheheheeee....

I have to admit I thought it was odd their(Harry & Ginny) reaction to seeing each other the first time in such a long time. I would have thought they would've hugged at least.

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Yall are not the only two that watched it! I have just been crazy busy lately.

I'd definitely say Harry's cloak was the Deathly Hallows cloak... in the story they mentioned it as kind of a one of a kind item, and it makes sense that Harry ends up with all three pieces of the Deathly Hallows in the end.

I did find it interesting that they ended on the note of all their children getting on the train to Hogwarts... wonder if it was left that way to allow for a whole series of Aldus Severus Potter books/movies?

Anyhow I thought it was a great movie, and great end to the series. I'll have to go out and get the books now too . Can't wait to get my hands on the last bluray and see if I can do that crazy marathon.
                              -Chuck

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                • Sep 2010

it is Ron who mentions the cloak:
                                “Hang on, though,” said Ron. “The Chamber of Secrets was
                                supposed to be a myth, wasn’t it?”
                                “But the Deathly Hallows can’t exist, Ron!”
                                “You keep saying that, but one of them can,” said Ron.
                                “Harry’s Invisibility Cloak—“

Then Harry finds a letter and puts all together:

“My mum told Sirius that Dumbledore borrowed the Cloak!
                                This is why! He wanted to examine it, because he thought it was
                                the third Hallow! Ignotus Peverell is buried in Godric’s Hollow . . . ”
                                ...“IT’S IN HERE! He left me the ring—it’s in the Snitch!”
                                “You—you reckon?”

Then Dumbledore comfirms it:

“But the Cloak, I took out of vain curiosity, and so it could
                                never have worked for me as it works for you, its true owner. The
                                stone I would have used in an attempt to drag back those who are
                                at peace, rather than to enable my self-sacrifice, as you did. You
                                are the worthy possessor of the Hallows.”

If you enjoyed the movies and like to read then you have to get the books. The first one is not that great, but she got more experience and better editors so the last 3 are really good. IMHO.
                                Ivan.
                                My Statement monitors

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Yeah Carolyn and I will likely head to the last one once the wedding over.

I've read all the books and Carolyn's going through them right now :lol:
                                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"