X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison... from my vault

Stars Robert Mitchum as Allison, a WW2 marine who washes up on a deserted island in the Pacific. Left behind on the island is a nun ( Deborah Kerr ). Allison takes it upon himself to become the nun's protector after the island is taken over by the Japanese. During their fight for survival, Allison falls in love with the nun and the closeness of the two causes the nun to question her vows.
    Based on a novel by Charles Shaw, the film, released in 1957,was co-written and directed by John Huston. Huston likes to throw an unlikely pair together in a survival situation. He did this in African Queen with Bogart and Hepburn and does it very well again with Mitchum and Kerr. Out of it all we get a great mix of drama, humor, action and some darn good acting. The dvd is wanting in its transfer but the good story, direction and excellent acting by Mitchum and Kerr makes the viewing still worth your while. :T

Every now and then I will pull an old classic out of my vault and post it here for those of you who may find them interesting and worthy of a rental.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I'll have to add it to my list. Sounds entertaining.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
      I'll have to add it to my list. Sounds entertaining.
      I think you'll like it. It's so nice to watch a film with some action and know it's not all CGI, too. These films are from my era, so I'm probably a little biased, but it just seems they really knew how to make a movie back then.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        it just seems they really knew how to make a movie back then.
        Yeah George it does. I think it was the better scripts that were a bit more subtle than today's fare, along with actors that really could act.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
          I think it was the better scripts that were a bit more subtle than today's fare, along with actors that really could act.
          That's pretty much it in a nutshell, Tex.
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"