• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Something from 1957

HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON

It is a 2nd world war film, set in the Southseas. It stars Robert Mitchum and Debroah Kerr.

Mitchem, a tough US marine, has survived an attack at sea and washes up on what appears to be a deserted island. But he soon discovers the only inhabitant is a nun ( Kerr). For the rest of the film they fight to survive when the island is re-inhabited by a batallion of Japanese soldiers.

There is plenty of action, but the underlying theme here is love as Mitchum falls for the pretty nun.

It is directed by John Huston and you can't help but notice the resemblance to another of his films about a man , a woman and survival: notably The African Queen.

This is a 20th Century Fox dvd and the Cinemascope picture quality is okay, considering the age, but the soundtrack is very poor. Still, it is a film I last saw in a theater in 1957, so I am pleased to have it in my collection.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I 'll have to give this one a look. I enjoyed the African Queen (saw it as a child) so I'm sure this will be equally entertaining.

Thanks for the tip George! 8)

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"