X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Gone with the Wind (BluRay)

Celebrating its 70th anniversary, the studio that currently owns Gone with the Wind has released it on BluRay in a multiple-disc special collector's edition that includes a ton of extras (well, at least a couple of pounds of extras, some printed, others on the addtional discs) in the oversized box, or, in a special deal with Target, a one disc "movie only" edition (which also includes a detailed commentary in a separately selectable audio track) at a somewhat lower price than the box set, but still a lot for a one disc release.

Presumably the movie disc is the same in both packages. There is no point in discussing the movie itself -- after 70 years of record theater audiences, multiple video releases and evaluations, reviews and commentary by many gifted movie analysts, you either know you want to see it again or you prefer to move on.

If you are possibly interested in another go at it on BluRay, you should be glad to know that the movie is framed as it was in its original theatrical release, 1.33:1, not the reframed theatrical re-release abomination that chopped off a significant portion of the top and bottom of each frame to make it "widescreen". That was the first look I had of this movie years ago, and I am glad to have had the opportunity since then to see it framed properly.

The restoration for this release is remarkable, not punching up the three-strip Technicolor too much, nor making the film grain texture too digitally smooth. I can honestly say that the BluRay in my home theater is the best looking rendition of this classic I have seen, at home or in a commercial theater. If you like the movie, you'll want to see it as portrayed on BluRay. (If you love the movie, you've probably already bought the BluRay and do not need any persuading.)

The sound is not artificially embellished by conversion to 5.1. It still has a sort of monaural feel even though sound is coming from several speakers, but it does not have the sensation of coming from the head of a pin that the truly monaural track seems to have. The soundtrack apparently was not re-worked to "add dimensionality" or "envelop" us with sound that we would not have experienced in the initial theatrical presentation (which was way before my time) and that is just fine with me.

Very highly recommended (for the movie). Decide for yourself if you want to pay more to get the boatload of extras, many of which have been available before and apparently all of the ones on disc are standard definition.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I've got the single-disc version on my Christmas list. Hoping, hoping....

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I have the last dvd that was released ( original 1:33 AR ) and it has a killer picture so I think I'll pass on the upgrade, but for anyone who has never seen this classic, they should definitely go for the Blu version and have it in their collection.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I'm thinking of doing a research project into Civil War films AND I've yet to see this film so I may well go for the fully loaded package if the extras contain interesting documentaries.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"