X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Hooray for the BluRay of "Fiddler on the Roof"

When I went to see this movie when it was first released in the commercial theater, I had the misfortune of sitting behind a little snot who "sang along" through the entire movie despite numerous requests to be quiet from people around them. I knew the movie had a great soundtrack, but it was almost inaudible through that brat's nasal vocalizations. (Of course in today's commercial theaters, people that age would be texting or chatting all through the movie and would, of course, be equally oblivious to its effect on the rest of the audience).

Thankfully, the soundtrack is reproduced in all its glory on the recently released BluRay disk, along with stellar visuals. With no one seated in front of me in my home theater, singing or otherwise, the music was beautifully rendered and dialog was easy to follow. Although being released on BluRay is a good bet, but not an automatic guarantee, this film has never looked or sounded this good in a home video release. And frankly, the video didn't look this good in the commercial theater a few weeks into its run after the film prints had been through the projector dozens of times.

I started to make a note of some "film grain" in certain scenes, but realized on closer inspection that it was time to clean (dust off) my wall mounted projection screen! In many scenes, the video has an uncanny almost-3-D realism, even though that fad, er, technology, was not employed in its filming.

I'm not going to "review the movie" -- did that on another forum several years ago upon release of the first DVD version, and there are a lot of other reviews out there for the film itself (88% favorable Rotten Tomatoes rating). But I will say that the production still holds up well and the experience of watching and listening is well worth repeating, particularly when the sound and video is so well reproduced.

If this has been a favorite movie for you, it is well worth snagging the BluRay (and a certain big box store near where I live -- since it isn't a site sponsor, let's call it "Malwart" -- had it on sale this past week for only $15). If you've never seen it, then this is the time to give it a spin... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oy, vay!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"