X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Proposal offers some good laughs

Sandra Bullock is a tough publishing exec who is destined to be deported to her native country ( Canada ). To save her job and keep her US visa status, she forces her exec assistant, Ryan Reynolds, to marry her. He reluctantly agrees, but only if she promotes him to editor. She complies and thus begins a series of humorous events that result in a change of outlook on life.

The film has some very funny scenes, and Bullock carries them off like the true comedienne she is. And Ryan Reynolds has his moments, too. But the lady who steals the film is Betty White as Reynolds's eccentric grandmother.

It's an entertaining 108 minutes that passes quickly. Well worth the rental for anyone who enjoyes romantic comedies.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Should be a good one to watch with the wife. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
      Should be a good one to watch with the wife. Thanks for the heads up.
      Definitely a "you and your significant other" kind of film.

And thanks for your response, Ovation, you're one of the few who do so regularly. When I look at the number of views on some of my threads and , sometimes, not even a one word response, I sometimes wonder if I'm wasting my time here.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

No, no, no....

I just don't always have something meaningful to contribute back!
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Ditto to Chris' statement. I like Sandra Bullock , so I may stretch my budget for this one.
          As always , a well-done review , George. We appreciate your take on things even when we can't respond intelligently! Well , when I can't , anyway.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

I don't make it to HTGuide as much as I used to, but I certainly always check your review threads.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Well, now, that makes me feel better fellas.

To clarify things, though, if anything I am writing about is of no interest, then by all means don't bother to respond. But if I have interested you in a particular film, it is nice to know so, and even better it is nice to get your opinion after you have watched it. Just because I liked a particular film doesn't mean everyone will like it, and hearing so is good because it gets a little discussion going.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

This sounds like a good one for us to check out. Jen and I both like Sandra Bullock, so it should work well for us.

George, don't you dare stop posting. I'd have to drive to Nova Scotia and take you to task. After reading your comments, I didn't have anything to add to the Surveillance post.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek

George, don't you dare stop posting. I'd have to drive to Nova Scotia and take you to task.

Now if that's what it would take to get you up here, I'm tempted to stop posting... :rofl:

After reading your comments, I didn't have anything to add to the Surveillance post.
                  Understood, Tex.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• DelRay
                    • Jun 2004

Well, I got a chance to watch this one with the wife. We both liked it, kinda predictable, but arn't they all. Betty White was great and the bathroom scene with Bullock :E . She's got it going on.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"