X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leef DaLucky
    • May 2003

Maria's Grammy and Exec's Beware.

Now, I don't usually follow the Grammy's.
    I've become my father in the fact that I'm now set in my own musical genre/gereration.
    I rarely hear anything that perks up my ears enough to say "new and noteworthy". When it does, i find myself comparing it to some old rif I've already heard in 30 other songs.
    (a conversation for a later thread, I'm sure).

Here's a topic that comes from my local news.
    A little known artist by the name of Maria Schneider has won a Grammy in the Jazz/band catagory.
    OK. She won... but what's interesting about this story is the way she won it.

Having laboured over song writing, development and production, she was able to produce an album for the cost of about $87,000. This, was financed by an "up and comer" online facility by the name of ArtistShare. Now Artistshare is a kind of brokerage/music facilitator in the fact that you can garner a fan base, have them critique your music, and then lobby to have it supported/produced. Over 10,000 folks thought enough about this particular music, that it eventually resulted in a completely financed album and its subsequent online promotion. All this, of course, happened quietly. Electronically. Subtly. At listeners own requests.

The end result is, Maria Schneider now has a Grammy award under her belt.
    And she never sold an Album.

In fact... the $87,000 that it took to produce the album has already been paid back.
    Not only that, but think about this:
    she's not splitting the profits with the distributors. Or the record stores. Or high paid middle-men record executives.

So, basically, you've produced an album with basically 100% return.
    It's not surprising she was approached by a lot of musicians asking How she did it.

Interesting.

Full Article Care of Toronto's Pulse24.Com's news
    Maria's Webpage Here.

Cheers, Mikey
    "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
    -Dark Helmet
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"