X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Revolutionary Road is high drama

Sam Mendes, husband of Kate Winslet, co-produced and directs this film based on Richard Yates 1961 celebrated novel of the same name. Kate stars as April Wheeler and her co-star from Titanic, Leonardo DiCaprio, stars as her husband Frank. It starts off sweetly enough but descends into a modern day version of hell in a marriage gone wrong. April had dreams of a glamorous life as an actress, but she fell in love with Frank, had two children and everything from then on became nothing more than regret and she ends up taking out her frustration on her confused husband- one day she loves him, the next day she loathes him. Using the excuse that a change of scenery will change their ( but really her ) life, she talks Frank into selling everything and moving to Paris, where she will work as a secretary and he can do whatever it is he wants to do with his life. Frank loves April dearly and would do anything to have things the way they were in the beginning, so he somewhat reluctantly agrees. But April becomes pregnant again and Frank, on the verge of a promotion at his job, argues against the decision to move, feeling it is no longer practical, thus setting things up for an intense and dramatic conclusion .

The film is set in the 1950s and captures the era beautifully. Even the acting and style of the film are reminicent of the 50s. In fact, I wondered if Sam Mendes watched Greg Peck and Jennifer Jones in The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit before he decided to make Revolutionary Road.

The Blu-ray picture is excellent, audio is nothing special as the film is dialogue driven, but overall I loved this powerfully acted film and will watch it again often.

BTW, I don't use spoilers so I won't say why, but there is an interesting bit of irony when comparing Leo and Kate's roles in Revolutionary Road and Titanic. You'll know what I'm getting at if you watch this film.

:T :T :T :T
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Just watched this. Powerful, great film (though certainly not a "warm and fuzzy" picture). The period detail is great and there isn't a false note in any of the performances. A splendid, adult (in the "clean" sense of the word ) drama. I will be adding it to my collection as I enjoy watching excellent acting performances more than once. I think I will even read the novel upon which it is based.

As for the irony and Titanic, I'm afraid I didn't clue in as I have never watched Titanic.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"