• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Recruit - A Review

The Recruit - A Review February 10, 2003

Is it real? Is it training? Is it a mind game? Is it something else? When you are a recruit at "The Farm" trying to become a field agent for the CIA, you never know.

Directed by Australian Roger Donaldson (No Way Out, Cadillac Man, Species) this is one taut, head-rush of a mind-game thriller. With a cast including Al Pacino (The Godfather, Scarface, Heat, Insomnia), Colin Farrell (Tigerland, Hart's War, Minority Report), and Bridget Moynahan (Coyote Ugly, Sum Of All Fears, Serendipity) this movie started out ahead of the game. Donalson takes his cast, mixes in some able photography and a good soundtrack and gives us a non-stop whirlwind journey into the land of mis-trust, doubt and wondering who is and who isn't on your side. Pacino doesn't take this role over the top as he did in earlier efforts like Scarface and Heat and that in itself lets you get closer to his character, to see the subtle shadings he creates. For what it's worth, my wife isn't a Pacino fan, but at the end of this film she was going on about how good he was in it! Farrell continues to impress me as he gains more experience and exposure, although he did put a little too much into his lost-father-angst. Moynahan is a gem - perky, strong and independent - and brings a nice dose of spunk into her character.

Walter Burke (Pacino) is a recruiter/master trainer for the CIA. As he puts it, he's a "scary judge of talent", and his judgement has led him to James Clayton (Farrell), about to graduate top of his class at MIT in computer science. James may just have the mental and physical skills to get him through training, but does he want to work for the CIA? After all, there is the fact that his father disappeared in 1990 supposedly working for Shell Oil in a third-world country. Can he get answers from within the agency? Then there is Layla Moore, another potential agent - good looking, smart and motivated. But, is she everything she seems to be?

Visually, this film doesn't disappoint. The color palette is fairly neutral - leaning a little toward blue/gray - and doesn't exhibit any of the washed-out, even monochromatic scenes that are becoming the norm in action movies these days. There are a good number of night and interior shots which benefit from nice texture detail and the color range with lots of blues and grays to add detail and depth to the images. Daytime or bright shots are well balanced and clear - again there is a lack of grain that has also become common in films recently.

Audio-wise, the dialog is always clear and easily discernable. Surrounds are used frequently but not to the point of distraction. Gunshots are very pronounced and sharp sounding although there aren't that many occurences of them. The soundtrack itself is a fine one as it has some good music but doesn't interfere with the story, and does skillfully add to the atmosphere. I'll probably be picking it up on its own just for the listening pleasure.

I was engrossed in this film from the start. It sets a good pace and tosses in the right amount of tension at the right times, building steadily to its climax. And my what a climax it is! If you enjoy a good twisty thriller, go see this movie. It's one of the better ones you'll see.

I give The Recruit :35: out of :5:.

Rating: PG-13, for violence, sexuality and language
    Run time: 115 minutes

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

As usual, Tex, excellent review.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"