X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Serenity on BR

FYI, I see that Josh Weldon's neo-cult classic Serenity is on BD now.
    I saw it on sale at Buy.com for $17.50.

I remember that this was a favorite for its CG and resolution a while ago.
    Those that now have BD players might be interested.

Me, I'm still saving for a 40 “plasma to replace my old Sony 36" CRT.
    Hey, for some of us, the music must come first. :W
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

It looks great on HD DVD, so I expect the BD should be equally fine.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yup, I've got it on HD-DVD. Got it in my Amazon wish list on BD. I enjoyed the Firefly series, and was one of those that was disappointed that it got canceled.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

If you're going to deliver a speech then make sure that the opening gets people's attention because if you don't they probably won't listen to the rest. I watched this film two nights ago and it has a great opening scene that lasts about 5 minutes. After that opening I just had to watch the rest, even if a lot of it wasn't quite up to the same standard.

I really like sci-fi so I'll give just about anything a go. This one is a rollicking yarn that's a cross between a cowboy movie and Mad Max, except it's in space. It stars Nathan Fillion who plays Castle in the cop show that my wife enjoys so much. He brings the same semi-serious attitude to Serenity that he does to Castle.

The violence in films intrigues me. Most of the action in this film reminded me of a puppet cowboy TV show that I used to watch when I was a little boy where the good guys shoot the guns out of the hands of the bad guys, i.e. no-one gets hurt. However in this film the soft core violence is interspersed with the occasional bit of blade work that would never have been acceptable in my childhood puppet show.

Anyway, in summary this film is a worthy way of passing a couple of hours as long as being intellectually challenged isn't your main priority.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Nigel, do make sure you watch the "Firefly" series. The Serenity movie was an attempt to placate Firefly fans and wrap up the series, but wasn't complete. Much more in Firefly.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"