X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Body of Lies

Interesting Ridley Scott movie pertaining to the Middle East "troubles".
    Leonardo DiCaprio plays a CIA undercover agent in Jordan. Russell Crowe is his unsavory supervisor.

Well acted movie that held my interest.

Grade: B

Just learned that Scott and Crowe are teaming up to do a "blockbuster" new movie about RobinHood. That should be interesting...
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Body Of Lies is in my Blu-ray collection. I really enjoyed it. Crowe looked a tad overweight, but that was obviously for the role. I do hope he peels some of it off. As for DiCaprio, well I wasn't a big fan and never saw him in this type of role until he did Blood Diamond and The Departed. After those two films, my entire opinion of him changed. He is a natural for these kinds of characters. I particularly liked how he and Crowe played off each other in Body Of Lies. This has a complicated plot so you have to pay attention. And there are some blood curdling scenes toward the end that made my hair stand on end. Great film, but then, I love anything by Ridley Scott.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Decent flick--not quite as good as I expected, but not disappointing. I quite enjoyed the character of Hanni (head of Jordanian security).

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Sir George and I must have been separated at birth. For the longest time, I felt DiCaprio was an overrated, baby faced, flash-in-the-pants, light weight actor who could be counted on to draw a specific sector of movie goers / watchers. However, I am man enough to admit, I truly respect some of his recent work. He is maturing into a 'real' actor.

Crowe was his usual fantastic self, pulling off that Southern drawl accent to the ‘T’. And it worked to communicate the idea of the amount of separation between the agent in the field, the commander at headquarters, and the motivations of the security branches of certain governments.

A great movie, in my estimation, that shows a bit more ‘mature’ view of how the world really works.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
          Sir George and I must have been separated at birth. For the longest time, I felt DiCaprio was an overrated, baby faced, flash-in-the-pants, light weight actor who could be counted on to draw a specific sector of movie goers / watchers. However, I am man enough to admit, I truly respect some of his recent work. He is maturing into a 'real' actor.

Crowe was his usual fantastic self, pulling off that Southern drawl accent to the ‘T’. And it worked to communicate the idea of the amount of separation between the agent in the field, the commander at headquarters, and the motivations of the security branches of certain governments.

A great movie, in my estimation, that shows a bit more ‘mature’ view of how the world really works.
          I mostly agree but in the "real world", "Buddy" would have died--there would not have been a last minute rescue. Of course, such an ending would have been a serious downer for a commercial film, but it would have been consistent with the rest of the story.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Absolutely, :T

Hollywood's influence is inescapable in most instances.
            Once again, the requisite 'happy ending' roars it's deafening voice.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"