• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Something unusual from Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe

A GOOD YEAR

Some may call it a romantic comedy but the romance is really secondary to the story of a highly successful London stock trader ( Russell Crowe) who changes from A-hole to a decent sort. This happens after he must return to the South of France ( winemaking country) to settle the estate left to him by his uncle and mentor ( Albert Phinney ). While there he rediscovers the happiness of his youth and meets once again, the woman from his childhood past, re-kindling their intimate relationship. It's one of those "come to realize stories" but, thanks to Ridley Scott is a little bit above the average sort. I rather liked it and the Southern France scenery is worth the price of the rental. A bit of something different from those two greats from GLADIATOR.

:35:
    My Homepage!
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Thanks for the review, George!
    My wife would most likely enjoy this one.

BTW, we just signed up with NetFlix yesterday, anxious to see how it works out. Also, my new Oppo 970 is due to arrive on Wednesday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

We got this from Netfix last week and started to watch it. I thought it was V good for its genre, and even though you pretty much knew where it was going, the editing, dialog, character development and cinematography were all up to the standards set by the cast and director.

The wife didn’t care for it at all, but liked ‘Holiday’, which I felt was trite and sophomoric in comparison , and so I never got see the last 1/3.

Oh well, It is the differences in people that are supposed relationships interesting, right?
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna

Oh well, It is the differences in people that are supposed relationships interesting, right?
        For sure.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"