X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Baby Mama didn't quite do it for me

As much as I like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler and admire them as top class comedic actresses, I felt the script let them down here. Fey is an unmarried, infertile businesswoman who hires Poehler ( a trailer trash type ) to have her child after artificial insemination. For me, the stark differences between the two ladies and their background just wasn't handled as well as it could have been and just caused the plot to drag. Also, although the writer of this script was written by and directed by Michael McCullers who co-scripted the Austin Powers films with Mike Myers, and has been pretty good at writing Saturday Night Live skits, he just wasn't capable of handling the balance between comedy and drama that this kind of film demands. In other words, the movie was more like one angonizingly long skit. Too bad, because the talent was there.

Steve Martin appears now and then as Fey's off the wall boss and Sigourney Weaver brings a lot of class to her little role as the head of the company who matches infertile ladies with surrogate moms. Greg Kinnear has a small role as Fey's eventual lover.

The last time I saw Tina and Amy together on screen was in Mean Girls, so although Baby Mama was a letdown scriptwise, I really enjoyed watching these ladies working together once again. Their chemistry has always been great right from their time together on Saturday Night Live as the news co-anchors. So if you like these gals, this will probably be a worthwhile rental. Just don't expect much.
    My Homepage!
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Steve Martin was so funny in this movie.
    I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. I never really heard anything about it, but when I saw these two SNL stars (and no Will Ferrel), I automatically had to give it a chance. The movie is pretty predictable, but it was still funny.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ah, yes, the movie trailers didn't seem to indicate much quality, to me. Will be passing.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
        Ah, yes, the movie trailers didn't seem to indicate much quality, to me. Will be passing.
        I thought the trailers were great. They told me that there's no reason to even consider watching the whole thing.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Don't you love it when that happens?

However, I've initially avoided films owing to their trailers and when I eventually got around to seeing them, I was annoyed at how misleading the trailers had been--so it's not a bulletproof shield against bad movies.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
            Don't you love it when that happens?

However, I've initially avoided films owing to their trailers and when I eventually got around to seeing them, I was annoyed at how misleading the trailers had been--so it's not a bulletproof shield against bad movies.
            Sure. They often take the flashiest, noisiest and provocative moments. One result is that interesting and subtle rarely make the cut. In this case, I doubt if interesting and subtle are in the repertoire of this crew.

Kal (not an SNL fan)
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson

Kal (not an SNL fan)
              Coulda fooled me... :lol:
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                Coulda fooled me... :lol:
                I keep trying. Most Saturday nights, after the movie, I watch the opening sketch and, usually, at least one more before becoming convinced that hope for entertainment (without stupidity) is over. Every few months, they nail one.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                  I thought the trailers were great. They told me that there's no reason to even consider watching the whole thing.

Kal
                  Ain't that the truth.

I enjoy SNL some of the time. Thought the start of the season premiere was great, but the latter part dropped off. This past Saturday wasn't much good. But there's been some great spin-offs from SNL. (as well as some stinkers)

Just in case anybody forgets, SNL gave us greats like Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, etc.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                    Ain't that the truth.

Just in case anybody forgets, SNL gave us greats like Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, etc.
                    ... and Tina Fey who happens to have one pair of gorgeous legs that she really shows off in this movie.

As far as SNL is concerned, I agree it only hits the mark occasionally these days. They just don't have the writers they once had. A lot of times I find the host can make a difference. Anytime Christopher Walken is on you can be sure it will be a hoot. Alec Baldwin also has done some hilarious skits whenever he has hosted. I don't watch every night because with Atlantic time it doesn't come on until 12:30 at night and it's difficult for an old timer like me to stay up much beyond 10:30 to 11.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"