X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

No Country for Old Men

Hello All,

Now this was a great film. I watched the blu-ray on Wed. evening. This is a must see. Now why it won 4 Oscars????? Oh, Javier Bardem yes I understand. I always rent before buying. This will be added to the collection.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have it on order on Blu. Looking forward to it. Love the Coen Brothers stuff.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• DelRay
      • Jun 2004

Watched this one tonight. The best movie i've seen in awhile. I would have to give it a big :T .

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

Saw this movie in theaters...

Going to buy on BR soon...
        -Joe

Comment

• Yasvanth
          • Jun 2006

Hi guys,

I also watched this at the cinema, I think it is a great film but the ending was just cut short, and the ending was weird. All because the French guy just walked off free without being hunted down by Tommy Lee Jones, and what did Tommy do, not much if you actually think about it.

But I still loved the menacing attitude of the French bounty hunter and the suspense within the film. I'll still give it (5 Stars).

Like Joe Tama, I will definetly buy it, when it comes out on DVD here in the UK!

Cheers

Yas :T
          Last edited by David Meek; 16 March 2008, 17:47 Sunday. Reason: added spoiler tags

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Spoiler code, anyone?

Comment

• Yasvanth
              • Jun 2006

What the hell is a Spoiler Code?

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

This is a spoiler code

Comment

• Bmac
                  • Aug 2006

First, I loved the movie, and I've started to read the book. The movie is almost word for word with the book. This is the closest screenplay I've seen. I loved the ending, and the interaction between the actors is great....anyway this was a must own for me.
                  Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Bmac
                    The movie is almost word for word with the book.
                    Yes it is. In fact a lot of Tommy Lee's dialogue in the final scene is right out of the final page of the book. I know many didn't like the ending, but the Coen Brothers are not known for Hollywood endings, and that suits me just fine. In my book, No Country For Old Men will become a film classic. And the picture on Blu was stunning, as was the soundtrack when it needed to be.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• blk100rr
                      • Dec 2007

great movie. It shows that you really don't need mood music or special effects to build suspense. Great dialog and acting throughout

Comment

• joetama
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                        Yes it is. In fact a lot of Tommy Lee's dialogue in the final scene is right out of the final page of the book. I know many didn't like the ending, but the Coen Brothers are not known for Hollywood endings, and that suits me just fine. In my book, No Country For Old Men will become a film classic. And the picture on Blu was stunning, as was the soundtrack when it needed to be.
                        Thanks George, now I am going to have to go buy it on BR for sure...

-Joe
                        -Joe

Comment

• Club1820
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                          But I still loved the menacing attitude of the French bounty hunter :T
                          He was supposed to be French? Never picked up on a French Accent? Thought he was supposed to be of some Spanish descent as is Javier. ???
                          Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                            • Aug 2001

Wow...blown away by this one, best I've seen in years. Tommy Lee Jones gives a fantastic performance, and the ending is perfect (not everything needs to be spelled out/wrapped up neatly to make a good story). Lots of exceptionally dry humor, too...found myself laughing out loud with my wife wondering why.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
                              Lots of exceptionally dry humor, too...found myself laughing out loud with my wife wondering why.
                              Same here with my wife. The dry humor is so typically Coen Brothers.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Great movie just finished it. The ending was amazing. I sat there and just thought to myself.

Turned up the stereo too, kinda sad the end credits had the best score of the whole movie. LOL.

Anyways, the whole movie was a suprise, didnt expect any of the high drama scenes. Two thumbs up.
                                B&W

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                  • Aug 2001

Great movie just finished it. The ending was amazing. I sat there and just thought to myself.
                                  Yup. Perhaps it's because that story really hit home with me personally, but I just sat and stared as the music played.

I also don't remember a movie which built up tension so well, friggin' palpable in the room at times.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Two things that I really liked about this movie: The first was the tension. Absolutely superb! The creepiness of the Anton Chigurh character (Prince Valiant hairstyle, sauntering, emotionless, monotone, antagonistic demeanor & plain damn scary) is superb. The other thing that I liked was the use of silence to create terror. Enjoyed. :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

The Coen brothers have outdone themselves, yet again!

It was the diatribe between T L Jones and the other small town sherif that pulled all the parts of the movie together for me. The sense that they both shared of how the world had changed so much in their lifetime, that they felt powerless to even understand it, let alone function within it.

It is so refreshing to see such great cinematic work come from Hollywood. Shame it happens so infrequently.
                                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                        The Coen brothers have outdone themselves, yet again.

It is so refreshing to see such great cinematic work come from Hollywood. Shame it happens so infrequently.
                                        I had read the book before seeing the movie and was really pleased that the Coens pretty much stuck to the original story.

I'm looking forward to their next project entitled: Burn Before Reading, starring Brad Pitt. It has something to do with the CIA and it's said that this film will be a return to their zaniness which includes colorful, idiot-savant characters. I can't wait.
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"