X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Blade Runner : The Final Cut - Blu Ray

I just watched this movie for the first time ever.

Being that I was only 2 when this movie came out maybe you can understand why. A long time Harrison Ford fan (hes such a badass!) I was quite excited to see this one. Knowing "of" the movie for years, but not knowing what it was about left me interested. However, not a fan of slow paced boring movies of the early 80s (what can I say, I stereotype? LOL) I love action, I love special effects. Blade Runner was always put on the back burner. Shame on me!!

The transfer to BR was nothing short of spectacular! The color was so vivid and the sound amazing. What a great score on this movie.... 26 years ago!

Ive had this movie sitting on the shelf for a few weeks now and didn't want to watch it until I had a sub in the house to enjoy the film with, and it was worth the wait! I believe if this movie was released in the theaters today it would be a hit!

With the quality of this film there are very few tell tales that let you know how old it really is. Something about square monitors and green text just screams early 80s! :W

I thought the story was great, the action was great, and the ending was a bit of a suprise, yet zen like? :lol: This movie was more than just eye candy, it had substance to it.

As a bonus, after watching it I know now were some of these random quotes I hear tossed around came from! "Wake up, time to die!" 8)

Anyways, im not all that good at describing movies, im more of a :T or :evil: type guy.

Blade Runner The Final Cut on Blu Ray gets :T :T from me.
    This is one that I will watch over and over rest assured. This just became one of my new (old) favorites!
    B&W
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I thought Han shot first? :rofl:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I have this on HD DVD and it is spectacular. I've been a fan of this film in all its incarnations and to have looking so pristine is nothing short of outstanding. Any serious film fan will have this in his collection--regardless of how one feels about sci-fi. The immense influence this film has had on its medium (and beyond) cannot be overstated (though it has, at times, been poorly aped). I would have paid triple without hesitation for this set.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Christopher:

When this film was released in 1982, it was kind of a sleeper. People didn't quite know what to make of it. But over time it developed a cult status. Today it is probably one of the most watched and discussed sci-fi films of its time. I have owned many versions from vhs tape to laserdisc and dvd. And now I will be getting it on Bluray. From what I've read about it, this is the ultimate version, finally dotting the i's and crossing the t's in meeting Ridley Scott's original vision of the story.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I recently heard an interview with Scott where he was talking about working with Ford on his character development. One of the issues Ford was trying to work out was wether or not his character was actually human or android. As not to be a ‘spoiler’, I’ll just say the actor and writer/director never did agree on the correct answer, which the film leaves up to the viewer to decide.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
            As not to be a ‘spoiler’, I’ll just say the actor and writer/director never did agree on the correct answer, which the film leaves up to the viewer to decide.
            Oh, yeah, Bill, I've had more discussions on that than I can remember. As for me, I'm one of those who feel he was an android.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Interestingly enough, Ford felt otherwise!
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Not sure about the BD edition, but on the HD-DVD disc, Ridley has a commentary track where at the end, he discusses the unicorn origami, and his thoughts on Deckard's makeup.

If you get a chance, watch some of the other versions. Each version adds, or takes away certain elements that can completely change what you take away from the film.

Best sci-fi film of any generation, IMO.
                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Yes, I'm sure this latest edition will stir up a lot more interest. And it is definitely one of the best sci-fi films ever made.

Bill, I read that about what Ford thought, but it didn't change my mind. Will we really ever know the answer ? Heck, it would no longer be any fun if we did. :cry:
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    Christopher:

When this film was released in 1982, it was kind of a sleeper. People didn't quite know what to make of it. But over time it developed a cult status. Today it is probably one of the most watched and discussed sci-fi films of its time. I have owned many versions from vhs tape to laserdisc and dvd. And now I will be getting it on Bluray. From what I've read about it, this is the ultimate version, finally dotting the i's and crossing the t's in meeting Ridley Scott's original vision of the story.
                    Yep, there was a little intro by Scott he mentioned he oversaw the whole transfer process and that it was done from the original negative and that this was the version he always wanted, that it is his "final cut" of the movie.

As far as the cult status I dont doubt it one bit, when I heard the quote "more human then human" in the movie, I immediatley thought of White Zombie's song "More human then human" came to mind. Not ever knowing what that song was "about" but knowing Rob Zombie was a sci fi I thought that song HAS to be based off this movie...

Just one viewing of that movie has opened my eyes to a lot of little "facts" that I never knew about. I cant wait to enjoy it again and again.
                    B&W

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by littlesaint
                      Best sci-fi film of any generation, IMO.
                      Interestingly enough, my dad feels the same way about "2001: A Space Odyssey". He says that when he grew up, all the sci-fi films were about "Attack of the Killer Blob from Mars" and stuff, and that was the first film that could really be taken seriously. Felt that it established a new mark in the genre. I can definitely appreciate films that meet that kind of criteria such as 2001, Blade Runner, Matrix, etc.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I've got a couple of versions of the standard DVD Blade Runner lying around so I'm holding out for next year's (cough, cough) final release in HD. All 4 (or is it 5, or 6?) variations, all the extras, etc.

I absolutely agree about it being one of the seminal "true" sci-fi films. It's one of the trilogy, along with 2001 and Star Wars, that basically shaped this type of cinema today. Ridley Scott hit one out of the park with this film, and he'll leave you thinking and talking about the story long after you've turned off the film.

"Would you come after me? Hunt me?"

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Um, it is next year and that's the one's in discussion..

BR:

Blu-ray on Amazon

And HD-DVD too:

HD-DVD on Amazon

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                            I've got a couple of versions of the standard DVD Blade Runner lying around so I'm holding out for next year's (cough, cough) final release in HD. All 4 (or is it 5, or 6?) variations, all the extras, etc.

I absolutely agree about it being one of the seminal "true" sci-fi films. It's one of the trilogy, along with 2001 and Star Wars, that basically shaped this type of cinema today. Ridley Scott hit one out of the park with this film, and he'll leave you thinking and talking about the story long after you've turned off the film.

"Would you come after me? Hunt me?"
                            All the variations are in the HDM sets. No reason to wait any longer if you have either HDM player.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                              All the variations are in the HDM sets. No reason to wait any longer if you have either HDM player.
                              Yep yep, mine came with 5 discs.
                              I am going to watch the theatrical cut tonight.
                              B&W

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I was reading an article last month (in my Widescreen Review, I think?) that said this Ultimate set wasn't really the ultimate set. This one has a limited production run to act as a bridge to one last uber-set. I may be wrong, but I'll see if I can dig up that article from whatever I was reading it in. If I'm wrong, it'll be on order tomorrow. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

The set has all known releases. If there's an uber set coming it will probably have the new 're-invisioned' version by Rob Zombie..
                                  The five discs in each set are identical:

disc one contains 'The Final Cut' and several extras;

the mammoth 3 hour-plus documentary "Dangerous Days" gets disc two all to itself;

disc three features three additional cuts of the film accessible via seamless branching (the 1982 domestic and international versions, plus the 1992 Director's Cut);

disc four houses the "Enhancement Archive," which is loaded with featurettes, deleted scenes and more; and finally,

the fifth disc features the ultra-rare "Workprint Version" of 'Blade Runner' that had previously only been seen at rare theatrical screenings and on poor-quality bootlegs.

Regardless of which high-def format you choose, tech specs are identical -- you'll get the same video encodes of the film (all 1080p/VC-1), plus Dolby TrueHD audio on 'The Final Cut,' and standard Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks on the other versions of the film.

Now there is a US broadcast version of the movie, but who wants that?

I still need to order mine copy as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                    ...With the quality of this film there are very few tell tales that let you know how old it really is. Something about square monitors and green text just screams early 80s! :W ...

Not really… Just about everything in the film looks old, used, desperate, nostalgic, lonely, abandoned….
                                    Just look where Sebastian lives… (or ppl clothes)
                                    I think it’s the films magic and it would look out of place lets say a squeaky clean extra modern computer screen…even new technology should have a look of “outdated” so to contribute to the general gloomy feeling…..
                                    I think everybody (and everything) - but those who couldn’t – left the earth and now are off world

Just my thoughts tho

Comment

• H.T.C
                                      • Nov 2003

there is a atari sign somewhere in that film.
                                      Robert

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                        • Feb 2006

Right! Also coca cola, TDK, Budweiser, Bulova, pan am, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"