Anyone looking forward to Blade Runner 2049?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Anyone looking forward to Blade Runner 2049?

I watched the Final Cut edition of Blade Runner Friday night, in anticipation of seeing the new one. It had been quite some time since I last watched it (probably close to the 10 years that have gone by since I picked up the 5-disc HD DVD set in 2007). Been a favourite of mine since I first saw it in the mid-80s.

Wasn't a smooth viewing experience, though. I have about 150 HD DVDs and still keep them in rotation. Unfortunately, Warner discs had a quality control issue and I'm almost always having problems with my Warner HD DVDs (about 90 of the 150). And Blade Runner was the latest victim. I went to see on Amazon if the 5-disc Blu-ray is available--it's not. At least, not new. There are copies out there but for well over 100$CDN. I'll keep an eye out (maybe a new release of the 5 discs plus the new one will be out next year), but in the meantime, I wanted to finish the movie. Fortunately, iTunes came to the rescue. It was 7$ for the HD version (including a number of extras) and it was available right away. But I'm down on the audio side from TrueHD to regular Dolby Digital.

Oh well, my gamble didn't pay off ten years ago. Still, as far the movie goes, still great (and I can't wait to see the new one at the local IMAX).
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Wasn't even aware of it. I just watched the trailer and I'm pretty sure I figured it out, though. That's kind of a bummer. LOL. I'll see it, but not at movie theater or new release prices, so it will be a while. It should be amazing in a good theater though, considering the advances in visual and surround tech since the original. I have to wonder about casting choices. Ryan Gosling? Really?
    I agree with you on the original. It was a masterpiece and is, IMO, among the top three sci fi movies. I've almost always been disappointed in the results of trying to make good science fiction in to a movie (Frank Herbert's 'Dune" stories come to mind along with Doug Adams' 'Hitchhiker' books.) I'll watch BR 2049 just because it's the continuation of the original story and Harrison Ford is in it, but real enthusiasm isn't going to match the level I had for the first one. I think the only times I looked forward to a movie as much as the source book were Jaws and Heavy Metal.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I was able to see it on a full 15/70mm IMAX screen. Was worth the premium ticket price. Denis Villeneuve is a local boy who made it to the big leagues and he hasn't disappointed me yet (Sicario and Arrival are among his previous efforts). I will be adding this to the collection and having Blade Runner marathons on a regular basis.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

My copy of 2049 is on its way. Maybe it’ll motivate me to mount my new, bigger screen (84” replacing 64”) so I can do a back to back viewing. :T:T

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Have my 4K 2049 Bladerunner as well as the limited edition 4K version of the original.

What I'm lacking is time to put my SI screen together, connect up the system, or to watch them... unless I want to give up needed sleep! no can do that... maybe by summer time!
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

My copy arrived today from Amazon France. I ordered it from there because A) it was cheap, even with the Euro to CDN$ exchange, B) I wanted to start "future proofing" my new stuff (much like I started buying BDs even before I had a proper HDTV, knowing I was going to move to that in short order) and C) because, unlike N. America, the European market does not force you to choose 4K OR 3D--I got the 4K, 3D and 2D Blu in one package (for less than either the 4K or the 3D North American release).

Of course, it'll probably be summer before I get to watch it as well, but maybe I'll get lucky and get some time to put up the new, bigger screen before June.

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

On a whim I ordered the 4K Blade Runner Final cut (still not 4K capable) but it has everything in the HD DVD 5 disc set I bought 11?! years ago (which, like many of my Warner HD DVDs, has developed the dread 403990s--or something--error). I tried to find the regular BD set (long out of print) and the 4K set was about 20% of the best price for the original BD, so a no brainer.

Still won't have time to watch until summer, but at least they're both here now.

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

rented via version fios.....

.....this one hits on all cylinders for me...... i was quite surprised as i did not think the first one could be matched with the depth & sophistication it has.....

one if the few movies i look forward to seeing again....
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"