X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Spider-man 3

Just picked this up last weekend. I watched it twice already. Can't comment on audio since I have no HT setup at this time, just my tv speakers. The video gave me mixed feelings. I can't tell if it's my setup (I'm using my laptop and outing it via DB-25 to my LCD), but some night scenes (when the Sandman is running away) seem a bit grainy. At the same time, the night scenes with Black Spider-man is awesome. It seems so... 3D. Very smooth and all.

I think it was bad to watch this on the same weekend as Transformers though. Transformers video quality was superior. However, it doesn't mean Spider-man 3 transfer was bad. I just think Transformer was too good compared to the rest.

I love this movie! Definitely worth buying.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

I saw the Blu-ray, as I got a screener of the trilogy from Sony. Absolutely amazing video and audio quality, with the most wow factor going to Spidey 3. There is some visible grain, but it's very fine. You probably can't fully resolve it if you're watching the NTSC version.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Hey Gremal,

Check out the scene where he puts on the black spider suit and goes to fight Sandman. Is it me, or is doesn't that scene look like 3Dish? It looks awesome on my tv! I bet it looks better on your Blue-ray version.

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

Hello All,

I got my region 3 version on 09/15/07 from dddhouse.com. Can't wait to A/B the NTSC version on 10/30.
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
          Just picked this up last weekend. I watched it twice already. Can't comment on audio since I have no HT setup at this time, just my tv speakers. The video gave me mixed feelings. I can't tell if it's my setup (I'm using my laptop and outing it via DB-25 to my LCD), but some night scenes (when the Sandman is running away) seem a bit grainy. At the same time, the night scenes with Black Spider-man is awesome. It seems so... 3D. Very smooth and all.

I think it was bad to watch this on the same weekend as Transformers though. Transformers video quality was superior. However, it doesn't mean Spider-man 3 transfer was bad. I just think Transformer was too good compared to the rest.

I love this movie! Definitely worth buying.
          How is that possible? It's not out until October 30th. If I recall you moved to Japan. Do the releases come out a week or two earlier? Did you compare the DVD or HD versions of both Spiderman 3 and Transformers? The HD reviews I have seen put them at equals.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
            How is that possible? It's not out until October 30th. If I recall you moved to Japan. Do the releases come out a week or two earlier? Did you compare the DVD or HD versions of both Spiderman 3 and Transformers? The HD reviews I have seen put them at equals.
            Oh? Sorry, I though the US released it at the same time. It was released here (in Japan... very good memory Rebelman) on October 17th. I don't have an HD or BR player. I bought standard DVD from Japan. I picked up Transformers from the American military base.. so that's region 1. Both are regular DVD.

As far as regular DVD, Transformer video quality is superior. Actually, it's the best looking DVD I've ever watched. Spiderman 3 looks really good on some scenes too.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
              Do the releases come out a week or two earlier?
              Forgot to answer that question. Actually, most American movies come out later in Japan. Disney movies are usually 6 months later compared to the US. The only reason I can think of why the DVD was released earlier here is because Spiderman 3 came out on theaters in Japan a week before the US. If you recall, the world premeire was in Japan.

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Finally got to see this movie last night. Saw it on bluray. PQ was impressive and sq too. I felt though that this was the weakest of the three movies so far. Not that I didn't enjoy it though, I did but it just felt a bit disjointed.
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I'm not that big a Spiderman fan, even though I own the first two, and right now I'm thinking that I may just rent this rather than buying it. So far I have only watched the first spiderman film more than once, so why waste space on my already crowded shelves with more episodes.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Just watched this movie again (for the 4th time) with my new Oppo DVD player. Yeah, this movie definitely looks real good! One thing I keep noticing about this movie... I don't really like the score. It sounds like... they tried too hard. At some parts (after the jazz club) sound really good, but throughout most of the movie, it just doesn't blend in as well as the first two Spiderman movies. Seems overdone. Is it just me, or does anyone feel the same way?

Comment

• Dave999
                      • Mar 2007

I really think this is by far the worst Spiderman movie, but the picture quality and audio no the blu-ray are very good. Hopefully Spiderman 4 will be better from a plot perspective.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Yeah, I was let down by the film as well. It's raking in the disc sales, though. Just got the record for the largest sales of any HD disc movie yet.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

So, have they already said there will be a 4? If so, not the time to buy the box set?

I saw number 3 on the shelf of a local store for 40.00 yesterday. I said geesh! You got to be kidding me? I walked away and left it there. I already knew I could smoke that deal on Amazon, but you know, if a 4 is coming out, not sure whether to get 1-3 in HD or wait. Of course, I am not encouraged by the reviews anyway. I did love 1. 2 was ok. I think 1 will always be the best, because it was him discovering his spidiness, it was all so new.
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Well, Toby Maguire has said that he will NOT come back for number 4, but they're still in talks. I just don't want this to take a downturn to become a "Police Academy" series, or something like the Jurassic Park sequels. Spidey 3 already was a letdown as it is.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Yeah, I was thinking about this after posting, if they can't get 3 right, 4 has little hope, so I may as well get the first 3, and buy 4 on reputation only if there is a 4. I still think 1 will always be the best. I guess I will go ahead and get the trilogy at 62 bucks with free shipping probably if I can fork out the cash, is tight right now...

Doug
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Yup... I think that's what I paid for the trilogy on BD.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• laneza01
                                  • Feb 2007

I got my BR trilogy at the Wal-mart for 65, I didn't wanna wait for the shipping...great series tho, but i will agree that the third is a little bit ridiculous as far as plot...definitely liked the first one best!

Comment

• sirbogey
                                    • Mar 2006

trilogy is more than enough... I'd love to stay away from spidey 3, but my wife is obsessed with it... so will have to rent it eventually..

thinking of spidey 4 and 5... what comes to mind is Sly's Rambo 4 and Rocky 5, 6, 7... 23 etc...

Comment

• sirbogey
                                      • Mar 2006

rented and watched it last night... definitely the weakest of the 3...

Comment

• laneza01
                                        • Feb 2007

well i finally got around to watching the blu ray of #2 and i must admit, my favorite scene was the one at the end where the bad guy turned his second machine on...the BASS is awesome! good ol' SVS!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"