X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Spiderman - Superbit

If you are like me and always in search of that ultimate sound experience on your system, then you probably have bought the same DVD title more than once as soundtracks are upgraded through re-release. Superbit versions are one of those re-releases that without question sound (and look) much better than the original (especially if the original is only released in Dolby Digital which quite frankly doesn't hold a candle to DTS). LOTRs is of course another example.

Anyway, I bought the Superbit re-release of the Spiderman DVD lastnight and found it to be a completely new viewing experience. Kudos to the Superbit engineers as their DTS version very noticeably blows away the soundtrack and picture quality of the original DD version. I just had to switch DVDs between the movies in certain scenes and its only a handful of times this one included that I noticed a more than subtle (bordering on significant) difference. If you are a Spidey fan (or just a crazed sound-junky like me) this is not a waste of $20. Check it out.
    Adz
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Sounds tantilizingly tempting. I may just do that.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Me too Adam, me too

All right! Another DVD upgrade-aholic. :later: I picked up the Superbits for Spider-Man and Starship Troopers at Best Buy on Wednesday. Spidey, just because it's such a good movie and I'm looking to squeeze the last little bit out of the picture. It'll get a viewing tonight. Troopers, because it was a gorgeous transfer already and I'm curious about how much better the PQ is over the original. I didn't buy Troopers because I consider it a good movie - as a popcorn sci-fi it's okay, but I'm still PO'd at Verhoeven for the travesty he made out of one of my favorite books.

Anyone want a pristine copy of the non-Superbit Spider-Man at a reasonable price? :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Preacherman
        • Jan 2004

I have to concur, a much better viewing and listening experience than the original transfer. :T I will be picking up the Superbit edition of The Fifth Element next. And, I too will have to join the Upgrade-aholics club.
        Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Deacon, we meet on the 6th Wednesday of every month. 7:00 PM at George's house. Don't be late. :B

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

Thanks for the review ADZ!

I have the Superbit version of The Fifth Element and can easily see the additional clarity over the (already fantastic looking) standard DVD.

It's hard to upgrade when the DVD quality is already so good looking, but for some special movies that I know I'll be rewatching several times, I'll rebuy the superbit version of the DVDs.

-Dean.

Comment

• Adz
              • Jan 2004

No problem - I wouldn't necessarily call that a review; more of a recommendation, I guess.

Anyway - lets keep this going and see where it takes us - I also recently got the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan and it smoked the DD version (especially the famous first 30 minutes and the final bridge scene). I didn't even realize that it had been released in DTS some time ago. I definitely definitely (did I say that twice ) recommend buying it again.

Besides the obvious LOTRs upgrades, does anyone else have other similar experiences... enough to recommend coming out of pocket for the same movie title?
              Adz

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

5th Element Superbit
                Air Force One Superbit
                Desperado Superbit
                The Patriot Superbit

Die Hard 5-Star Collection
                Speed 5-Star Collection

The Rock Criterion Collection

The Last Of The Mohicans Extended Director's Edition DTS

I'm not saying you'll like these movies, but you'll definitely see an increase in PQ and/or SQ. Especially, if you have a larger (36" or over) 16:9 display.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

First and foremost, go "Superbit" on Lawrence of Arabia". I have seen this film several times in 70mm commercial theatrical presentations in its original theatrical run and after the restoration (as well as at home on Beta, VHS, Laser Disc and DVD) and can tell you that the previous DVD edition was not a satisfying rendition. Better than VHS and better than nothing, but FAR surpassed by the Superbit, eliminating annoying edge enhancement and color balance issues among other things in addition to a generally cleaner, sharper video image all the way through. It does the disc break at a strange point, but I'll take that along with the improvements over an edition that does so many other things wrong.

I bought "The Fifth Element" Superbit edition to be able to make a comparison, and when I am looking for the differences, they are certainly there. But since the original DVD release was so good, (especially considering how early in the DVD game it came out), it is still highly watchable. If the Superbit version had not been among the first available (and the only one of that batch that I already had on DVD, so it was the logical choice for comparison), I'd probably have passed on it. That is not taking away from its visible improvements, but is more a commentary on my very conservative DVD purchasing policy these days compared to a few years ago.

OTOH, the original "The Rock" from Buena Vista looked like a 3rd generation video tape copy. In stark contrast, the Criterion edition has drop dead gorgeous video -- true system-demo reference quality. Well worth replacing the almost unwatchable original with the Criterion.

Same story on "Spartacus" -- the Criterion is the one to buy, even if the original release is in the Wal Mart "give away" bin. :>) The initial release was non-anamorphic and had strange coloration in some scenes that was NOT part of the director's artistic vision.

"The Patriot Special Edition" looks pretty darned good -- I have not felt motivated to check out the Superbit version because I know I wouldn't buy it anyway. But if you don't already have it, and the price difference isn't too huge, then the Suberbit would probably be a safe bet.

Bottom line, all the Superbit and Five Star collection titles that I've compared with their previous editions are "better", but how much better varies, and whether the improvements are worth a re-investment varies too. Some titles, like "Air Force One", are good movies, and I'm glad I have them on DVD, but marginal to me compared to a handful of other titles that scream out for replacement. However, if that (or some other) title is your personal "fave", then the Superbit "upgrade" will be a virtual no-brainer.

Enjoy.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Getting back to Spiderman for a moment...

I didn't buy this when it came out on dvd, but rented it. I am not a big comic book hero to movie fan, but have liked some like the first two Batmans, Superman one, Blade and The Hulk, to name a few. But I like what I am reading about Spiderman Two and will likely buy it when it is released on dvd, and since I like collecting sets, I went and bought the Superbit version of Spidey One. Well it was almost like seeing it for the first time, and the PQ certrainly looked much better than I remembered. Actually, I now find that the first Spiderman film wasn's that bad after all. It just took a second viewing I guess.

As for SUPERBIT dvds, I have most of the ones mentioned here and also have ANACONDA, THE BIG HIT, HOOK, and I hope to add Lawrence Of Arabia soon.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                      As for SUPERBIT dvds, I have most of the ones mentioned here and also have ANACONDA, ...
                      On the "regular" DVD, the giant snake in ANACONDA is obviously CGI. In the Superbit version, is the snake more "realistic" or is it just higher-resolution obvious CGI? Is Jon Voight's acting less hammy? Does Jennifer Lopez have a smaller butt? :>)

Burke

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                        First and foremost, go "Superbit" on Lawrence of Arabia". I have seen this film several times in 70mm commercial theatrical presentations in its original theatrical run and after the restoration (as well as at home on Beta, VHS, Laser Disc and DVD) and can tell you that the previous DVD edition was not a satisfying rendition. Better than VHS and better than nothing, but FAR surpassed by the Superbit, eliminating annoying edge enhancement and color balance issues among other things in addition to a generally cleaner, sharper video image all the way through. It does the disc break at a strange point, but I'll take that along with the improvements over an edition that does so many other things wrong.

Enjoy.

Burke
                        Out of curiosity, which previous version did you have? I had the "special edition" with the cloth book bound type case, and thought the transfer on that was fair, not terrible. The superbit version is markedly better as you say, but I find myself unable to part with the other version due to all the other aspects of the case/disk etc. Wish they had packaged the superbit as they had that version. Guess I could give just the disks to someone with a small TV and keep the rest.

This is also one of my favorite all-time films BTW.

BB

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Brandon B
                          Out of curiosity, which previous version did you have? I had the "special edition" with the cloth book bound type case, and thought the transfer on that was fair, not terrible.
                          That's the same "previous version" I bought. I like all those extras too, including the classy cloth-covered case. (I'm pretty sure that both non-Superbit "previous" versions -- the one with the fancy case that we bought and the other one in a standard case -- had the same transfer.) Compared to "The Last Emperor" or the non-anamorphic non-Criterion "The Rock" or "Spartacus", the first Lawrence of Arabia DVD transfer was spectacular. But compared to my memories of commercial release 70 mm presentations of the film, the previous edition, with its grossly exaggerated edge enhancement, was like looking at a pop-up cartoon book on my front projection system.

The superbit version is markedly better as you say, but I find myself unable to part with the other version due to all the other aspects of the case/disk etc. Wish they had packaged the superbit as they had that version.
                          Since I had already paid for all that extra stuff I was kind of glad I didn't have to buy it in "deluxe trim" to get the markedly better transfer. Too bad, though, that they didn't offer two packaging levels for the Superbit like they did with the original DVD release to give buyers a choice (although with the original transfer, they came out with the "deluxe" edition first and only later added the lower-priced "bare bones" edition.)

Guess I could give just the disks to someone with a small TV and keep the rest.
                          That sounds like a good use for those discs. In fact, I have loaned out my "previous edition" discs of Lawrewnce of Arabia in a plastic two-disc carry case to several relatives who view their DVDs on small TVs. On a small TV, the differences are not nearly as apparent.

Burke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Burke, Re: ANACONDA

NO, NO, and NO,( thank heavens to the latter )
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

First let me say George :laughat: :roflmao: :yesnod:

Second, here's a suggestion of what to do with your old doubles of DVD's. I plan on giving any doubles that are age appropriate to our local childrens hospital. Everything else to local charities for the holiday season. Just a thought

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Nice thought, too, Jason.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"