X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Prince Of The City is one powerful film

I know. I know. This is an oldie, released theatrically in 1981, but it is much better than many films released today. Directed by Sidney Lumet and based on the book by Robert Daley, it stars Treat Williams as Danny Ciello (inspired by the real life undercover cop Robert Leuci).
    For his dad's sake, Danny always wanted to be a good cop, but his father knows he isn't, and so does he. Eventually his conscience gets the better of him and he makes a huge, life changing decision by agreeing to help a New York City DA clean up an out of control situation invloving police corruption. Though he swears he will never rat on his working partners, it just can't happen. And the toll it takes on Danny, his wife, his family and friends, makes for a powerful drama that will keep you glued to your seat, even though it is just under 3 hours long.

A terrific screenplay, great direction by Lumet and acting by Williams, Lindsay Crouse ( as his wife ) and especially by Jerry Orbach, as one of Danny's partners. It has been recently released in a 2 disc special edition, and if you haven't seen it, you should.

A big :T
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 09 July 2007, 13:28 Monday.
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You know George, I feel I owe you one for "Ghost Rider"! :P
    I'll put this in my Netflix queue.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by John Holmes
      You know George, I feel I owe you one for "Ghost Rider"! :P
      I'll put this in my Netflix queue.
      Naw, John, you don't owe me. But I have a feeling you will enjoy Prince Of The City.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Club1820
        • Jan 2006

Saw it way back in the 80s. Good Film.
        Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

[QUOTE=Club1820]Saw it way back in the 80s. Good Film.[/Q]

So did I. But seeing it the second time years later gave me a new appreciation for it.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

Made me think of another 80s film I wouldn't mind seeing again - The Pope of Greenwich Village - with Mickey Rourke & Eric Roberts.
            Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

George'

I watched it over the weekend. This is a very good film. I really enjoyed the dynamics in the relationship of the various D.A.'s and Danny.

I even got a good laugh out of seeing the replica paint job of Starsky's "Striped Tomatoe" ! :B

George, I would have never picked this film if it wasn't for your review. Not that it's not my type, just too many newer films that I'm behind on seeing. So thanks for the gentle reminder that, it is really about the content!!!
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

My pleasure, John. Glad you enjoyed it.
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"