X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ghost Rider - hmmmmph

The title of this thread pretty much sums up my feelings on Ghost Rider. I bumped this up in Netflix queue because it looked like some good, silly fun with Nicholas Cage. In brief, it wasn't fun. It wasn't good. It felt like something that was thrown together to get Nick another paycheck or two. The characters are shallow - even for a comic book-spawned movie. It did get better when Sam Elliott's character showed up, but not even his chops were able to help this poorly written, poorly acted, piece of work. The FX wasn't bad but it wasn't enough to carry the film either. Unless you're a die-hard fan of Nicholas Cage run away. Fast.

I've never read the comic book so I came in with few expectations to disappoint. It still only gets a :2: out of :5: IMHO.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Really? I liked it. The way I see it is, any comic book movie that stars a famous movie star is bound to fail. Yes, it could have been a lot better with a no-name actor. But I think it has been the best comic movie with a famous actor so far.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Well, Tex, you just saved me some money. I was going to buy this but now I'll settle for a rental.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

looks lame just from the cover to me, lol.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I saw it in the theater for free. I wanted my money back
          B&W

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm going to side with audioqueso on this one. I liked it too! Thought Fonda and Elliott did a good job with what they were given. As for Cage, he's pretty much the same in most that I've seen him in. I think Cage's best performance is in "World Trade Center".

Anyway, I didn't expect much going in. So, I was happy to have enjoyed. Good CGI, a few laughs and a hot girl to look at...what's not to like? :lol: But I have to agree, not more than a rental for most.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Club1820
              • Jan 2006

I fell asleep a 1/4 of the way through the movie! Returned it, didnt care to finish watching it. That's how bad it was. IMHO.
              Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Well I watched it last night. As much as I wanted to like this film, it just didn't work for me. It really seemed to just plod along. And unless I fell asleep somewhere near the end, what happened to the Sam Elliott character ?
                My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

George,

I'm sorry my friend! I thought you might like this one. You and I are usually in the same camp on films. Though, I can see where many would dislike it. I guess I'm just getting easier to please in my old age! :B

Elliott's character did what all good-guys in westerns do...he just road off into the sunset; err sunrise in this case. :lol:
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by John Holmes

Elliott's character did what all good-guys in westerns do...he just road off into the sunset; err sunrise in this case. :lol:
                    Thanks John. When they were riding together I thought they were going to fight the bad guy together and that was the last I saw of the cowboy. Anyway, good to know I didn't fall asleep. And John, don't be sorry. We're bound to have a different taste now and then. And heck, it wasn't a total write off; it just wasn't quite what i expected.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

I'm running out of Blu-rays to rent at my local rental store. So I picked this one up to see what it was line. I got to admit it was not as bad as I was anticipating. By no means a classic but it was entertaining enough to raise a grin or two. There's no doubt it could have been lots better. The cgi was a little cheezy and Cage was wooden. However, I enjoyed the humour of the rider. 2.5/5 for me.
                      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• rattmann316
                        • Aug 2005

typical hokey paycheck of a movie for cage. thumbs down.
                        RB-1070
                        RC-1070
                        RCD-1072
                        B&W-DM602 s3

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"