X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Slow moving but ...

THE GOOD SHEPHERD still interested me greatly. Many reviews I have read found the film boring and less that factual in some cases ( such as the Bay Of Pigs fiasco), and maybe there could have been a little more left on the cutting room floor, but overall the subject matter intrigued me. For those unfamiliar with this film, it supposedly deals with the first 20 years of the CIA and does features at least two real life characters ( Deniro and Crudup's). Matt Damon portrays Edward Wilson, a member of Yale's highly secretive Skull and Bones society. He is recruited by the OSS and does some spy work during the 2nd world war and then becomes a member of the OSS offspring, the CIA. Damon does a good job in showing us a transformation from a fairly decent human being to a cold calculating officer of the CIA, and how that transformation affects his relationship with those he purportedly loves. Jolie plays his wife and though her part is small I found it convincing. So, do I recommend it to others ? Only if you don't mind slow moving plots and are interested in the subject matter. If not, then better stay away and avoid the chance of falling asleep.

:35:
    My Homepage!
  • DSGCobra
    • Feb 2003

I too found this to be a very interesting movie. I have no idea how factual it really is but overall I enjoyed this movie as well.

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

George - I think you summed it up perfectly. While I enjoyed this movie I would have a hard time recommending to "casual" movie fans that want hot chicks and loud explosions. What I found most interesting was Damon's character, he did a great job and showing how lonely of an existence someone in his postion would have.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It was a good film, if not one for action junkies. I would recommend a rental before purchasing just in case it's not your cup of tea. The characters are interesting, even if not fleshed-out fully. Matt Damon is the focus of 90% of the film but at the end you still don't know his character well. He keeps himself walled away behind a stoic expression, an almost monastic level of not speaking, and a pair of horn-rimmed glasses. Hero? Villian? Maybe a little of both, and the movie leaves it open for you to decide.

I rate it :3: out of :5:.

One question for those that have already seen it: Did he have his son's fiance thrown out of the plane? I think he did. Not only to get rid of someone with emotional leverage on his son, but to eliminate a Soviet agent.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• DSGCobra
          • Feb 2003

^^ yes he did.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I agree with DSGCobra. And if you note what Angelina Jolie said to Damon after learning of the event, it pretty much sums it up.
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"