X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind... true or false

This true or false BIO written by Chuck Barris makes for an interesting film, especially if you are familiar with Chuck Barris and the tv shows he was involved with from The Dating Game to The Gong Show. These were shows somewhat similar to the so-called reality tv shows we see today, but Barris's work began a few decades ago, which put him a bit ahead of his time, considering how risque these shows were back then.

The crux of the whole thing is this: While producing and hosting tv gameshows, Chuck Barris claims in his Bio that he was also a CIA assassin.

The film covers a good part of Chuck Barris's career, from his early days in tv ( and the CIA ) right up to when he finally crashes and burns after being trashed unmercifully by critics over what he was doing on tv, especially The Gong Show, where average people made fools of themselves on tv in front of millions of viewers. Sound familiar ?

We never really know whether or not Barris was an CIA assassin. Even he won't say it's the truth. When asked during an interview in the extras, he smiles and says. " I'll never tell."

This is a very stylistic film, directed by George Clooney, and done quite well for his first attempt. The color palette is somewhat strange at times, going from blown out high contrast, to pastel fleshtones to normal. The film stars Sam Rockwell as Chuck Barris and man, does he nail it. He has the Barris mannerisms down pat. Rockwell is even built like and looks like Chuck Barris. George Clooney co-stars as the CIA contact who gets Barris involved. Juilia Roberts plays an assassin who worked frequently with Barris. Drew Barrymore plays Chuck's main squeeze . And aside from a cute cameo by Brad Pitt and Matt Damon on a Dating Game sequence, the highlight of this film is a small part played by Rutger Hauer as one of Barris's co-assassins. A small role, but Rutger the ol' pro milks it for all it is worth.

An interesting evening's watch.

:4:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

I well remember The Gong Show.

For that reason, I'll definitely be renting this and, moreso, trying to believe that everything is factual. It will just be more of a hoot that way. And they say that truth is stranger than fiction.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Keith, let's have your thoughts on this film after you've had a chance to view it.

One thing you have to remember about Chuck Barris: he had a VERY active imagination. That's why I am skeptical about his CIA assertion.
      It's still intriguing though, isn't it.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George
        he had a VERY active imagination

Delusional psychosis is more like it. :crazy:

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yeah, could be, Tex.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Hey, finally got around to watching it. Sam Rockwell and Drew Barrymore are absolutely great!!! I used to watch Chuck Barris on Gong Show and it is uncanny how well Rockwell does. Usually, if it is a movie on a celebrity I'm familiar with, the fact that it is obvious that an actor is playing the celebrity's part kind of ruins it for me. Not in this case.

Now, the big question. Is it true? Still find it hard to believe, but the movie does such a credible job of presenting the story, that I, at least, am left unsure. You know the saying that the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. I just don't know if this isn't one of those cases.

By the way, the extras were pretty sensational. Hope you had the opportunity to see some of them.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah, Keith I watched the extras. I was hoping to catch some clues as to the truth of the story. But like you, the film presented the CIA thing in such a way that you really have to wonder about the whole thing.

Very intriguing film, and a real good first effort for George Clooney as director. It certainly wasn't an easy subject to tackle.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

George, I really think Clooney has all the goods as a director. He really seems a perfectionist with a vision of how he wants the film to be realized. He seems to be an actor's director too, with a lot of mutual respect flowing back and forth. He gets them to believe in his vision. Most of all, I see him as someone who takes on projects that are dear to his heart, not just ones that will be projected box office hits. To get people like Julia Roberts to work for free says a lot about both Clooney and the actors involved. He really impressed me.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

That's a very good assessment of Clooney, Keith. I really think Actor/Directors make some of the better directors because they see things from both the actor's and directors's perspective. Look at Clint Eastwood and Ron Howard as a couple of other good examples.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"