X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Natural -- Director's Cut

When I saw this film in 1984 in the theater, I felt it was the greatest baseball movie ever made, and after watching the newly released director's cut on standard dvd, my opinion hasn't changed.

There's probably few here who are not aware of this film, but basically it's about a talented young baseball player ( Roy Hobbs, played by Robert Redford) who has a bout of badluck while on his way to the big leagues. He has an encounter with a deranged female stalker who shoots him and takes him out of the game. When he finally is able to play again, he is middle aged and considered " granpa " by the other players. But all that changes and Hobbs, in one final season, shows what a great career he would have had if not for that streak of bad luck.

Redford is flawless as Hobbs and there is a terrific supporting cast including Robert Duvall, Glenn Close, Kim Basinger, Wilford Brimley, Barbara Hershey ( as the madwoman ), Robert Prosky, Richard Farnsworth, Darren MacGavin and a brief appearance by a very young Michael Madsen.

I only had this in vhs and since I haven't watched a vhs tape in many years, I really can't recall what would be different in the director's cut, but it is much longer so there is definitely new material there. Though I only have the standard dvd, the picture was terrific, and I'm sure it will look especially good on Bluray. And the 5.1 audio mix is quite good as well with extra low end during the thunder and lightning scenes.

If you like baseball movies and don't have this one in your collection, you are really missing something special. I am so happy now that I have it on dvd and in its original 1:85 widescreen aspect ratio.
    My Homepage!
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

I have to agree with you George. My fav. baseball movie and One of my fav. movies period. Every time it's on TV, it seems like I get drawn into it again and usually watch it to the end. :B I must get the new release, thanks.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"