X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

An Unfinished Life

This film by Director Lasse Hallstrom ( Cider House Rules, Chocolat and The Shipping News to name a few by him ) was actually made in 2004 but for whatever reason only made to the theaters in the early part of 2006, and before you can blink an eye it is on dvd. Again, a film that critics were unkind to, except perhaps for Robert Redford's performance.

Along with Redford, the film costars Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Lopez and a very smart young actress named Becca Gardner. It's a character-driven story about acceptance and forgiveness. Redford's 21 year old son is killed in an accident. His young wife, Jennifer Lopez, was driving the car. Redford blamed her and she disappears. Unknown to Redford, Lopez was pregnant at the time of the accident. Lopez isn't too good at picking boyfriends and she flees from the last abusive relationship with her now 11 year old daughter. She heads to Wyoming hoping that her father-in-law will take her in until she can get on her feet. Redford is surprised to learn he has a granddaughter. He reluctantly takes them in but he is cold not only to his daughter-in-law, but the granddaughter as well ( though he warms up to her later). Morgan Freeman is a dear friend who was mauled by a bear that left him in severe pain and barely able to walk without crutches. Redford nurses and cares for his old friend. Morgan's character, and the bear play a huge part in the film's resolution.

Only once in awhile I watch a film where I become so engrossed in the characters that I hate to see the thing end. This was one of those for me. Redford as the grizzly, angry old father-in-law, and Freeman as the pain-wracked friend play off each other wonderfully. They, Redford in particlular, really made this film work for me. I was also very taken by the little girl playing Redford's granddaughter. Lopez, whose part is really not all that big, does an acceptable job as the hardluck daughter-in-law. I won't give anything away, but the bear that mauled Freeman returns and later in the film, it confronts Freeman once again, and I was sitting at the edge of my seat.
    The cinematography is breathtaking and the PQ is outstanding. That combined with some wonderful acting, made this a winner for me. I had only rented it, but I now intend to buy it. This film is not for everyone. But for those who like character-driven dramas, I highly recommend An Unfinished Life.

:T :T :T :T
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 17 April 2006, 10:59 Monday.
    My Homepage!
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Hello All,

I agree with George. But this film is only worth a rental. No need to add this to the collection.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Rented It.

I enjoyed it through and through. 'Nuff said.

:4: out of :5:

Even though I thought this film was excellent, it's one that I would only watch once. You get quite involved with the characters and how their relationships pan out. It's almost exhausting, but in a good way.

When I was a kid I grew up watching re-runs of "The Waltons" because thats what the older people wanted to watch. I kinda felt a bit of nostalgia as this film played in my HT, but rated PG-13 rather than G.

Can't think of anything bad to say. :T
      ~Nick

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
        Even though I thought this film was excellent, it's one that I would only watch once.
        I'm that way too with many films, but there is something about watching someone like Redford bring a character so much to life that I just want to watch it again and again. When I run across that kind of film I tend to want to own it.

Glad you liked it, Nick.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

There's just something intoxicating about watching seasoned actors such as Redford & Freeman portray characters such as these.

Excellent movie. Thoroughly enjoyed :T

Comment

• saurabh
            • Feb 2005

Yes, its a good movie to see and relax.
            Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

It's in the previously viewed bin now at Blockbuster so I'm gonna buy it.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

I watched the film this morning and think it is absolutely wonderful, like reading a great novel. Redford, in particular, is the most intriguing and dynamic, as he struggles with the control past events have cast over his life. He certainly has the grizzled toughness of one who has tasted how bitter life can become.

It was just my cup of tea and I'll definitely be watching it again as I told my family they better watch it with me in the next couple of days...or else. :B

To me, it's too bad they don't make more movies like this these days.
                Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Danbry39

To me, it's too bad they don't make more movies like this these days.
                  I'll second that, Keith.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Okay, added to the Netflix queue!
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Hey, Keith, the bait worked , we finally hooked Chris. Hey, Chris, I really think you'll like this one.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Well, right now it's #430 or so on the Netflix queue, so I'll get to it in about 10 years.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
                          • Feb 2005

Already saw it 3-4 times now.
                          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                            Well, right now it's #430 or so on the Netflix queue, so I'll get to it in about 10 years.
                            :rofl:

What you need, Chris, is a portable dvd player to watch movies on when you're flying on auto pilot.
                            Last edited by Chris D; 31 December 2012, 23:22 Monday.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"