X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

What Is Your FAV Recorded CD Best Sound

I'm not talking about your fav cd, but the best sounding cd the one that makes your system sound at its best. The best one i like :

Joe Stanley: King Of The Honky Tonk Sax- R&B 96/24 #1
    Blake
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

I have several that come to mind, but the one that stands out the most, is Dire Straits, "Brothers in Arms" remastered. Rock genre. At any volume level, it just seems to come across nice and clean. And it is one of the rare cd's that you can push play and listen to it's entirety.

Comment

• comeup
      • Jul 2005

I think I started this thread on the wrong forum it should have been on Audio Hideout sorry.

I have another Michael Mcdonald: Motown/soul-dvd audio
      Blake

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

If it doesn't have to be redbook CD, I agree, my DVD-A of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" is unbeatable.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by comeup
          I think I started this thread on the wrong forum it should have been on Audio Hideout sorry.
          Your wish is my command.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Brothers In Arms is a good candidate.

Comment

• Gump
              • Sep 2005

Multi-channel: "Brothers In Arms" SACD (although Mcdonald's Motown DVD-A is quite good also.)

2-ch: Hayley Westenra "Odyssey" track #6 "May It Be" from Lord of the Rings. Always leaves them mezmerized.

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Wow, got a quorum. Out of my collection, I'd probably go with Brothers in Arms too. Or maybe what's her name costello's wife. Oh yeah, a Diana Krall CD I bought for such purposes.

I jave a Jeff Lorber Fusion CD that is pretty nice too though.

BB

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

CD Steely Dan 'Two Against Nature'
                  SACD Ray Charles 'Genius Loves Company'
                  -Joe

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                    • Jan 2004

For Redbook, the latest Donald Fagan Morph the cat would be hard to beat. I read an article that some in the industry are saying it’s the best recording ever. I also like the quality of the latest collective Soul “Youth” the track “Him” is about as good as it gets IMO and gives many of my SACD a real run for the money.
                    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

XRCD recording of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" two disk edition, especially the 2nd disk, which many folks never have heard. (the original album and CD were only the 1st disk.

Mind you, my concerns are timbral nuance, imaging, and reporduction of the sense of an acoustic space, not necessarily ear splitting levels at the frequency extremes.

In a more conventional mode, the hybrid layer from the recent RCA Living Stereo release of Saint-Saens Symphony #3, with Charles Munch (recorded about 1959 on tube Ampex gear) is hard to beat, as well as the Water Lilty Acoustics CD layer of Nature's Realm.

If you see a pattern here, it's because in my opinion the best CD's I've heard have all been downconversions for the CD layer of SACD's. Cheating, I guess. ;^) It does raise the bar, though.

My nomination for best sleeper in a "conventional" commercial release is Keb Mo "Slow Down". VERY clean recording, great blues in a mostly acoustic vein, very clean drum and bass recording and vocals. The louder you play it, the better it sounds (on a good system).
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by joetama
                        CD Steely Dan 'Two Against Nature'
                        That is one of mine also.
                        Along with Santana 'Abraxis', surprisingly clean for it vintage.
                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JKalman
                          • Nov 2005

Best sounding, too many to name. I've been listening to Eric Clapton's Unplugged a lot lately though, and Grateful Dead's Reckoning, both of which bring out great qualities of my setup.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Jon, thanks for mentioning Jazz at the Pawnshop--I searched for it on Acoustic Sounds, and found that the XRCD version currently sells for $60! 8O When you recommend the XRCD version, is that in comparison to all the versions out there? I see redbook CD, HDCD, XRCD, and SACD. It looks like something I'd like to buy, but I'd like to get the "best" version.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, that "volume 2" has just been released on SACD.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

You ALL are giving me some great ideas... Kingdaddy, your thing about Fagen, is that just the redbook CD? Or have you compared it to the DVD-A that has been released?

I really don't know Steely Dan, either, and their music--not sure if I should make some blind purchases of their albums, as good as the recommendations have been.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

As far as Steely Dan goes, I have to give the nod to Gaucho as the best sounding recording. It too is top notch. Chris, you've probably heard the title track and just don't recognize the name.

Comment

• JKalman
                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                  You ALL are giving me some great ideas... Kingdaddy, your thing about Fagen, is that just the redbook CD? Or have you compared it to the DVD-A that has been released?

I really don't know Steely Dan, either, and their music--not sure if I should make some blind purchases of their albums, as good as the recommendations have been.
                                  You can't go wrong with Steely Dan IMO. You probably know 75% of the songs on "A Decade of Steely Dan" album or more, e.g. Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Reeling in the Years, Do It Again, Deacon Blues. You can hear sound clips on Amazon. "Gaucho" you can get on SACD though, while "A Decade of Steely Dan" you can't get on SACD. BTW, Donald Fagen is one of the two founding members of Steely Dan, if you didn't know.
                                  Last edited by Chris D; 13 August 2011, 23:47 Saturday.

Comment

• JKalman
                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                                    You can't go wrong with Steely Dan IMO. You probably know 75% of the songs on "A Decade of Steely Dan" album or more, e.g. Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Reeling in the Years, Do It Again, Deacon Blues. You can hear sound clips on Amazon. "Gaucho" you can get on SACD though, while "A Decade of Steely Dan" you can't get on SACD. BTW, Donald Fagen is one of the two founding members of Steely Dan, if you didn't know.
                                    Oh, I own both and recommend them, even though the greatest hits versions of the songs and the versions of the songs on Gaucho SACD are at different speeds.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                      • Jan 2004

Yes, I'm talking about the Redbook CD of Morph the Cat, haven the setup to listen to DVD-A, I'm stuck in SACD land for now. Another great recording and beautiful music IMO is Blackfield, my favorite disc since it came out and every song is good to great and the recording is very nice as well.

Blackfield
                                      Last edited by Chris D; 13 August 2011, 23:47 Saturday.
                                      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Martyn
                                        • Feb 2006

I like the idea of this thread (I'm in need of some fresh music) - let's hope it gains enough momentum to really take off.

I second Brandon's suggestion of Diana Krall. I like fewer than half of her recordings, but the ones I do like are generally good enough to justify buying the CD.

In particular I recommend her interpretation of the Tom Waits song: "Temptation" from the CD "The Girl in the Other Room". Not only do I like her interpretation, but it's a satisfying mix of acoustic and electric instruments including double bass, percussion, and electric guitars, plus, of course, her voice. I find it to be a good showpiece for my system; I also use it to A-B equipment. Also on that CD, "Love me Like a Man" is a little less subtle, but is still musically entertaining.

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Alison Krauss and Union Station--Live (SACD MCH) is the best sounding recording I've ever heard (whether the music is your cup of tea or not is another matter). Even the CD layer is top notch--as is their latest release (no SACD ), Lonely Runs Both Ways.

Anything on AIX is superb (DVD-A)

Standard Redbook--I really like my re-mastered (1994) Genesis--Selling England by the Pound. Perhaps not audiophile quality, but for its genre, it is among the best sounding recordings I've heard--and its over 30 years old.

There are many more, of course, but these stand out for me.

Comment

• chinets
                                            • Jun 2005

Yes, anything by Diane Krall especially on DVD-A Multi-Channel is mesmerizing.
                                            Four play Jazz on DVD-A is sensational especially with B&W speakers!!!!!!!!!!!
                                            I buy my DVD-A and SA-CD through Amazon .com...Where do the rest of you guys buy your music???????????????
                                            Please In the U.K. besides Amazon.con where can you physically pick out a DVD-A or SA-CD from the shelf??? I've tried everywhere in the U.K. from Virgin stores to HMV and they don't have such types of Fromat ,as they only stock normal CDs. I found only once SA-CD in Harrods under the LINN section, as they demo there equipment there but that is it. I have no clue where you can buy DVD-A and SA-CD besides Amazon.com ,and I mean of the shelf.
                                            Anyone out there that can help?????
                                            ARGENTINA CAMPEON!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                            Cheers

Comment

• earwit
                                              • Jun 2006

Whenever I want to show a recording that really has a soundstage, a recording that you think you are there at the recording session I highly recommend: Muddy Waters Folk singer on SACD.

For a really fun,crazy surround mix Flaming Lips Yoshimi 5.1 Dvd-audio is like no other,The perfect example of what Dvd-audio can be utilizing all speakers....

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                • Aug 2004

The best sounding CD that I own is one that was made live...
                                                My oldest daughter was at the New Orleans jazz festival two years ago.There,shortly after the concerts,CDs of the just completed sets were available.She purchased a Toots and the Maytals for me.That CD,the music just seems to jump out at you...it is clearer,more crystal than any other recording that I own.

I once said to her,that the CD quality is so good on that..."I felt Toots sweat on me"....

And it isn't all the shows...I have a couple of others and the quality is nowhere near that one...funny....

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

Originally posted by H.Donald
                                                  I once said to her,that the CD quality is so good on that..."I felt Toots sweat on me"....
                                                  I guess that's better than feeling a sweaty toot on you! :rofl:

chinets, I research all my high-res audio on www.acousticsounds.com
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• autio
                                                    • Mar 2005

H donald,

How Ironic I am listening to that Toots bootleg as I read your post(I cant believe it) one of my favorites for sure I am glad he made it there the year before all the devastation what a gem...

Lee

Comment

• adinfinitum
                                                      • Apr 2006

I have to second Steely Dan - 'Gaucho'. Probably one of my best reference CD's.

Also Jennifer Warnes 'The Well' SACD/CD hybrid but the CD layer is one of the best.

Roxy Music 'Flesh and Blood' - the HDCD version only as the original CD has none of the range of the HD version even on non-HDCD players.

Van Morrison 'What's Wrong with this Picture?'.
                                                      http://www.couchpotatosolutions.com.au/

Comment

• adinfinitum
                                                        • Apr 2006

Also,

Chris Isaak 'Baja Sessions' has great presence, his voice is in the room with you.

And for something a little different - Metallica (the black albumn). Just to test the system with rock. It sounds like it's recorded in analogue rather than digital (don't know) but those drums on 'Enter Sandman' are REAL through my system.
                                                        http://www.couchpotatosolutions.com.au/

Comment

• Gump
                                                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by adinfinitum
                                                          Also,

Chris Isaak 'Baja Sessions' has great presence, his voice is in the room with you.

And for something a little different - Metallica (the black albumn). Just to test the system with rock. It sounds like it's recorded in analogue rather than digital (don't know) but those drums on 'Enter Sandman' are REAL through my system.
                                                          I agree. The Black album is impressive especially the DVD-A version. Another pretty good rock song is Ozzie's "Mama I'm Coming Home" on his best of CD. The acoustic guitar that opens up the song has a soundstage that's wall to wall.

Comment

• Bluespower
                                                            • Sep 2005

Don't overlook anything by Flim and the BBs. Play the third track off of "Tricycle" and be prepared for your jaw to drop.
                                                            Bluespower

Comment

• dknightd
                                                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by H.Donald
                                                              The best sounding CD that I own is one that was made live...
                                                              My oldest daughter was at the New Orleans jazz festival two years ago.There,shortly after the concerts,CDs of the just completed sets were available.She purchased a Toots and the Maytals for me.That CD,the music just seems to jump out at you...it is clearer,more crystal than any other recording that I own.
                                                              Any chance I could get a copy of that concert CD? Please? It can't be bought so we are not cheating anybody out of their due income. (heck I've bought alot of the toots stuff on both lp and cd. . .) I'd be happy to coverr your expenses.
                                                              Thanks for your consideration of this request.

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                • May 2006

SACD - Dire strait's Brothers in arms' first 3 songs "so far away from me", "money for nothing" and the "walk of life".

XRCD - Kenny G's "Joy of Life" album (I really love the No. 7)

Norah Jones' "I turn your picture to the wall" (don't know what album it is)

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

Music4life, I can't find that Kenny G album. Do you have a source?
                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2005

Here is a good one for showing off bass:

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (The ambience bass in the "change" moments of Suddenly Everything Has Changed is incredible on the 802Ds and the bass in What is the Light? and The Observer especially are incredible)

Comment

• earwit
                                                                      • Jun 2006

Another great recording is Beck Sea Change available on Dvd-Audio or Sacd,

The sonics and soundstage of this recording are off the chart.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2005

I really don't know Steely Dan
                                                                        They're well worth a try Chris. I would recommend Pretzel Logic. Donald Fagen has released 3 solo albums too. The Nightfly is excellent.
                                                                        Attached Files
                                                                        Last edited by Chris D; 13 August 2011, 23:52 Saturday.

Comment

• miner
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005

Give a listen to Double Trouble's (remnants of SRV's band) 'Been A Long Time'. Many guest artists plus a fantastic HDCD recording. Another is Boz Scaggs 'Dig'.

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 105

I just got lucky. Only one copy in the rack (last one). I bought it in HMV-Hong Kong for US$30. It is also available in regular CD version (my brother in law has that). XRCD version is more clearer, fuller and bass is stands out.
                                                                            Last edited by Chris D; 13 August 2011, 23:53 Saturday.

Comment

• norpus
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Oct 2005
                                                                              • 60

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Music4Life
                                                                              I just got lucky. Only one copy in the rack (last one). I bought it in HMV-Hong Kong for US$30. It is also available in regular CD version (my brother in law has that). XRCD version is more clearer, fuller and bass is stands out.
                                                                              I was in that store last month, but just couldn't justify paying XRCD price (for Diana Krall over the sacd version at 109HKD.)
                                                                              Cheers
                                                                              Norpus
                                                                              "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 105

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by norpus
                                                                                I was in that store last month, but just couldn't justify paying XRCD price (for Diana Krall over the sacd version at 109HKD.)

XRCD sometimes are 2x or 3x more expensive than the regular CD.

Comment

• dbphd
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 6

#41
                                                                                  Chris D,

I have the multichannel SACD hybrid of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" FIM SACD M 034. I play the stereo SACD layer, and it is one of my favorites, very like siting in a jazz club. Also, highly recommend Bill Evans Trio at "Shelly's Manne Hole" and "Sunday at the Village" Riverside XRCD 20 bit recordings. For some reason, I also have a JVC XRCD of Sunday, but the Riverside recording seems better -- probably my imagination.

db
                                                                                  Last edited by Chris D; 03 February 2007, 00:00 Saturday.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 8938

#42
                                                                                    Chris, it's on several albums but the original release is on Breathless. Track # 1.
                                                                                    Last edited by Chris D; 03 February 2007, 00:01 Saturday.
                                                                                    .

Comment

• comeup
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2005
                                                                                      • 356

#43
                                                                                      Time to pull out the plastic lots of music to choose from.

Thanks for all the responses I now have a new list of music to buy looking forward to it. (Brother of Arms) will be the first it was mentioned a few times never heard it before.
                                                                                      Blake

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 105

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by comeup
                                                                                        Time to pull out the plastic lots of music to choose from.

Thanks for all the responses I now have a new list of music to buy looking forward to it. (Brother of Arms) will be the first it was mentioned a few times never heard it before.
                                                                                        Bet you will only enjoy the first four songs. The rest are :Z

Comment

• rav934
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                                          • 50

#45
                                                                                          go to Mapleshade.com.....their recordings are so good you won't listen to others

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"