X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chasw98
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Volver w/Penelope Cruz

My wife and I rented the movie 'Volver' yesterday and we/she watched it last night. I would like to tell you what it is about but I don't have a clue, except that the title loosely translated in english means "The Return". She lived in Spain for 16 years before we met and taught english to spanish kids over there so she has a good command of speaking, reading, and writing spanish. Now this is no ordinary spanish, according to her, it is catalan! One of her favorite pastimes is to read spanish novels. She even dreams in spanish. The point is she speaks and understands it very well.

Well, she did not want to be annoyed by the subtitles, so she turned off the english subtitles to take in the full experience of the movie. My son and I were soon off to the bedroom TV.

The next time you complain about a 'chick flick' you have to sit through, remember it could be in a different language. :B

Chuck

PS -I am pretty sure it is a good movie as the director has won 3 academy awards, I just need the subtitles to make sense of it.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by chasw98

The next time you complain about a 'chick flick' you have to sit through, remember it could be in a different language. :B

Chuck
    I'll keep that in mind, Chuck.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

I did not know this wasnt in english, bummer as I wanted to see it. I know this is a little closed minded but I dont watch movies to read, thats what books are for. I find it to really detract as I cant pay attention to whats happening on screen when I sit and try and keep up with subtitles.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Pez
        I did not know this wasnt in english, bummer as I wanted to see it. I know this is a little closed minded but I dont watch movies to read, thats what books are for. I find it to really detract as I cant pay attention to whats happening on screen when I sit and try and keep up with subtitles.
        I couldn't agree more, Pez. It's a shame because there are some good foreign films out there if you can handle the subtitle thing. I can't.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"