X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Children of Men

Hello All,

This DVD will give your system the workout it needs. Every speaker will get it's own workout. I was woooowed!!

Now I couldn't tell if the film was good or bad. Everytime I fell asleep, the sounds effects woke me.

Hopefully a DTS version will be released from dddhouse.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • DSGCobra
    • Feb 2003

The HD version was insane maybe one on the best HD-DVD's to date. Good story and incredible PQ and SQ.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Can't wait to see this one myself :T
      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Gonna rent it this weekend.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

No DTS

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_d...ProductID=6579 :x
          June

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

I have this coming tomorrow from Netflix tomorrow, cant wait to watch it. Moreso now.

Comment

• june
              • Feb 2005

27:40!!!

I watch a lot of dvd good & bad. But this is the dvd to show off your system.
              Time 27:40 is my new reference piece to show off the system. Listen to the separation from each speaker. Again I was WOOOOOOED!!!!!
              June

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

I think you might mean 1:27:40 (at least I hope you do).

Just watched this and was very pleased. I liked how the movie had a "grey" sort of feel to help set the tone. I am a big fan of movies using color to set a mode (Traffic and Pitch Black come to mind).

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Coming from Netflix this weekend.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Yikes, I had heard so many good things about this movie. But I must have missed something--I thought it was fairly mediocre as a film. It was okay, but certainly nothing like "Gattaca" or such when talking about humanity in future societies.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                      Yikes, I had heard so many good things about this movie. But I must have missed something--I thought it was fairly mediocre as a film. It was okay, but certainly nothing like "Gattaca" or such when talking about humanity in future societies.
                      I agree with you Chris. It was just plain OK. Nothing to write home about. I must have missed something as well. I also didn't hear anything spectacular on the sound track either. Definitely not a reference disk in my opinion.
                      Mitch
                      :stupidpc:

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I felt like something was missing from the end.. I was dissapointed by this flick from all of the hype around it.

soundtrack was decent though.

Can someone tell me if the pig balloon really floats outside the power plant or if that was totally a pink floyd reference?
                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• saurabh
                          • Feb 2005

Is already on my "to See" list, probably in the coming days.
                          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I have to agree with Chris and Mitch. It was entertaining. But, nothing to right home about. I even felt that a few to many holes where in the story.

It isn't a bad movie imo, it just isn't a good one either.

PQ was solid. SQ was avg. Did have good deep bass.
                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by John Holmes
                              I have to agree with Chris and Mitch. It was entertaining. But, nothing to right home about. I even felt that a few to many holes where in the story.

It isn't a bad movie imo, it just isn't a good one either.

PQ was solid. SQ was avg. Did have good deep bass.
                              After watching it over the weekend, you can add me to this list. For one thing, there was too little of Julianne Moore.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Pez
                                • May 2004

I also watched this again and dont feel as strongly about it the second time around. I liked it and thought it was a decent movie but it just seemed to be missing something.

Comment

• Gremal
                                  • Apr 2007

Spoilers--don't read if you haven't seen it

I saw this in the theater thanks to all the hype (I usually don't buy in but my defenses were down) and had MAJOR problems with it. Some of you have noted the movie is missing something. That something is a sane screenwriter. The more I think about the problems with the film, the more I realize Hollywood is starting to go insane with its misinterpretation of current events.

The apocolptic vision of the future: The very first thing we learn is that the army is occupying mosques. Terrorists are no worse than the government. Rebels are no worse than the army. All humanity is one big mess. Ok, yawn, nothing new there. You just have to open a newspaper to get the same bullsh*t message hammered into your head. The twist on the future is that humans are infertile and so the human race is not going to last. It comes across more like a PETA or hippy fantasy than a good idea for a sci-fi movie.

Martyr figure's father: pot-smoking Michael Caine who looks and acts not unlike an old, batty John Lenon, himself a martyr.

Messianic figure: who will save the world? Who is the only fertile human on the planet? A black woman of course. She is the only one who can save the humans from extinction with her incredible womb.

Martyr figure: and just to prove that not all white males are asses--well, at least one white male isn't--we have the protagonist ultimately dying to protect this sole pregnant female, deliver her baby and then deliver them both to freedom, far away from the horror of civilization.

This is Hollywood's idea of a good movie? 8O
                                  Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                  Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                  B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                  VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                  Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                    • Aug 2001

Originally posted by Gremal
                                    I saw this in the theater thanks to all the hype (I usually don't buy in but my defenses were down) and had MAJOR problems with it. Some of you have noted the movie is missing something. That something is a sane screenwriter. The more I think about the problems with the film, the more I realize Hollywood is starting to go insane with its misinterpretation of current events.

The apocolptic vision of the future: The very first thing we learn is that the army is occupying mosques. Terrorists are no worse than the government. Rebels are no worse than the army. All humanity is one big mess. Ok, yawn, nothing new there. You just have to open a newspaper to get the same bullsh*t message hammered into your head. The twist on the future is that humans are infertile and so the human race is not going to last. It comes across more like a PETA or hippy fantasy than a good idea for a sci-fi movie.

Martyr figure's father: pot-smoking Michael Caine who looks and acts not unlike an old, batty John Lenon, himself a martyr.

Messianic figure: who will save the world? Who is the only fertile human on the planet? A black woman of course. She is the only one who can save the humans from extinction with her incredible womb.

Martyr figure: and just to prove that not all white males are asses--well, at least one white male isn't--we have the protagonist ultimately dying to protect this sole pregnant female, deliver her baby and then deliver them both to freedom, far away from the horror of civilization.

This is Hollywood's idea of a good movie? 8O
                                    Try the book...different story altogether.

Comment

• Foxman
                                      • Jan 2003

My wife and I watched....er well I watched the movie, she was in and out of sleep to it.

Overall it was very drab to me and depressing. Not a awfull movie like Alone in the Dark, but I can't think of a scenario that would compell me to watch this again.
                                      IMO

My Movies
                                      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• cobbpa
                                        • Apr 2005

Just watched this and was pretty displeased. There were a lot of elements that probably made more sense in the book, but when unexplained in the movie, were pointless & distracting. Also, it seemed like all the characters kept making bad, non-sensical decisions. It was frustrating. A few individual scenes were well done, but the movie as a whole was pretty disappointing.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

I watched my Netflix disc last night. I can see why many are not overly impressed.

I, however did like it. Yes the apocalyptic theme seems to be run into the ground in just about any ‘futuristic’ movie. I think humankind has always had an intrinsic fear of what the future will bring, and hence, is obsessed with any means of predicting it. From the stock market to Nostradamus to the Oracle of Delphi there are uncountable examples of Shamans and fortune tellers since the beginning of recorded history.

As far as this movie is concerned, symbolism was used exhaustively throughout. I have not read the book, but I venture a guess that it may have been a means of getting as much of the book into the limited time which a movie is limited to. I interpreted the scene with the Pink Floyd balloon along with the collection of some of the most iconic examples of the greatest works of art in human history to represent how fragile and fleeting the greatest accomplishments of mankind can be when compared to mans ability destroy all things good that he has labored to create. When asked why one would choose to spend so much effort to try and preserve a few of the remaining artifacts of beauty and art that remained when the rest of the world was spiraling into total anarchy and facing its ultimate demise, the response was, ‘I don’t think about it’. IOW, if you contemplated the ethereal un-lasting nature of creating good, you would never expend the seemingly hopeless effort.

The scene when the main characters were leaving the apartment building and everyone simply stopped, stood still and watched as they passed by, then resumed their actions as they left, was rather poignant and well directed, IMHO.

AFA the ending, I think the name on the boat pretty much leads one to the implied conclusion.

I also enjoyed Michael Caine’s performance.

As always, all in my humble opinion.

I give it 3 ½ stars.

edit: or 3 ½ finger pulls...... :lol:
                                          Last edited by wkhanna; 08 July 2007, 16:27 Sunday.
                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I enjoyed it. However, my full appreciation of it didn't happen right away. I too found some irritating elements (mostly what appeared to be missing from the film--why are humans infertile, for example and a number of other issues like the lack of a definite ending). After thinking about it the next day, though, I came to see the film as not so much about the destination but about the journey. I don't really need to know why humans are infertile or where the only pregnant woman on the planet is going or whether she gets there. I see it as the journey of an everyman who rediscovers basic decency within himself and reconnects with the notion that there is something larger than himself worth caring about. It's not a profound, life altering film (though there are bits and pieces that suggest the filmmaker hopes to provoke that reaction from at least some viewers) but I think if it is viewed as being a film about the journey rather than as a linear plot-driven story, then its more redeeming qualities rise to the surface and its flaws (as it is certainly not without flaws) seem less problematic.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"