X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Monster House

This is, somewhat surprisingly, a Disney/Sony movie that is about the old, creepy house inhabited by a crotchety old man that every older city neighborhood has. The story stars neighborhood kids that start seeing odd events happen around the house when the old man screams irately about people on his lawn, making it seem that the house is haunted, or perhaps, alive.

This is NOT a film for young children, which should be indicated by the title, although it is made by Disney/Sony and in a computer animated format. There are scenes that, while not really in the "horror" category, would just be too scary for younger children. Older children should be fine.

The computer animation itself is really good, showing an incredible amount of life-like motion and detail in human and object actions. Watch the extras on the disc for "how it was made", and you'll see why--the movie was actually filmed live-action with the actors, using lots of computer sensors on their faces and bodies. Computers then used the sensors to create computer characters duplicating the actors' movements and facial expressions. The result is very nice.

Of course, as you know, all the computer graphics and cinematography doesn't matter a bit to me if the acting, and most importantly the STORY, isn't solid. Here, both of those elements are pretty solid. There is an all-star cast of Steve Buschimi, Maggie Gyllenhall, Kevin James, Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) Kathleen Turner, Fred Willard, Catherine O'Hara, and others that make it really enjoyable, and the story is cute and compelling in the fantasy sense. My only complaint might be that the house could be overly scary for the purpose of the story and movie.

Not the best film of the year, but an enjoyable watch, and recommended. :4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

What would you consider the line to be for older children? My kid's 8 and enjoyed it quite a bit, and is pretty sensitive to the "scary factor" in movies, but he also really likes haunted house type stuff.

On the motion capture, I was really surprised to see the used it on Kathleen Turner for the later "stage" of her character when she

was the house when it breaks loose from the foundations and goes rampaging through the neighborhood.

Definitely worth watching the making of short in the extras on this one.

I was also kind of pleased to see them cast kids of the age of their character throughout the movie.

Where are you getting the Disney connection though? I am pretty sure we had absolutely nothing to do with it.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Well, my little one is 3, so I don't have experience yet as to what age becomes appropriate for moderately-scary stuff like this. Somewhere between 3 and 8, then?

Huh... yes, the movie is listed as a Sony production, but I thought it was funded and distributed by Disney. Hang on, I'll check something...

Whoops, my bad! I had remembered a movie that Disney had put out on Blu-Ray, but it was "Haunted Mansion", not "Monster House". I guess no Disney connections after all.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
        Well, my little one is 3, so I don't have experience yet as to what age becomes appropriate for moderately-scary stuff like this. Somewhere between 3 and 8, then?
        I think it depends on the child. My children didnt have any trouble after watching this movie (9 & 11) but we have watched some movies were my youngest was like, is this real?

In fact my wife and I are watching season one of the x-files and I think it was disk 2 with the computer that was running this building and as silly as that was my youngest asked was the show real. I knew that even the fact that he asked, it concerned him. Some mature faster than others and I think younger brothers and sisters mature faster than their older siblings.
        Last edited by Chris D; 22 July 2015, 02:01 Wednesday.
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
          I had remembered a movie that Disney had put out on Blu-Ray, but it was "Haunted Mansion", not "Monster House". I guess no Disney connections after all.
          No quality connection either. Monster house was a good movie.

BB
          Last edited by Chris D; 22 July 2015, 02:01 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"