X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Big White is dark

...dark comedy/drama that is. It stars Robin Williams as a near bankrupt owner of a travel agency in Alaska. His wife ( Holly Hunter ) is possibly afflicted with Tourette's Syndrome and he loves her deeply and wants her to be the way she once was. But that will take money he hasn't got. However, his brother ( Woody Harrelson ) has been missing for 5 years and has a million dollar insurance policy with Williams as the beneficiary. Insurance won't pay without the body as proof. Fortunately for Williams, a couple of zany hitmen dispose of a body in a dumpster just outside William's travel agency. Williams finds the body and, you guessed it, decides to develop a plot to make it look like his brother returned and met with an accident so he ( Williams ) can collect the insurance. To help things along, Williams plants bacon all over the dead man's face before he dumps the body off a ledge and wild life chews the face off. From here on out things get messy and, at times, funny. The killers, who now need a body ( they need proof the hit was done before they'll get paid ) and a persistent insurance investigator, plus the return of the long lost brother all combine to make things a complicated mess for Williams.

Williams plays it straight and subtle and doesn't make you laugh: that department belongs to the two inept hitmen, Woody Harrelson and Holly Hunter who steals the film as the wife with Tourette's Syndrome.

PQ is quite good, but the snow white Alaska scenery sometimes made me wish I was wearing sunglasses. Audio is nothing special, though there are some interesting songs. Most will probably find this a one time but enjoyable watch.

:3:
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'll have to check it out, especially since there's a chance I'll be moving to Alaska in the next year!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
      I'll have to check it out, especially since there's a chance I'll be moving to Alaska in the next year!
      If you see The Big White I think you'll agree you may need to take along a few pairs of sunglasses. 8) 8) 8)
      Last edited by Chris D; 05 December 2016, 12:18 Monday.
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"