X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bamaredwingsfan
    • Dec 2004

Chronicles of Narnia

Has anyone seen this movie on DVD yet? I saw 2 versions on Ebay of this movie and was wondering which one is the best. Any details about the DVD's would be appreciated.
    Quotes from
    The Matrix Reloaded

Merovingian: I love French wine, like I the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with. Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère. It's like wiping your ass with silk. I love it.

http://www.myspace.com/bamaredwingsfan19

• Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Have the deluxier version, have watched the movie twice (once on 56" HDILA set, once on 120" FP) and some of the extras. PQ is pretty decent, not absolute tops, but certainly in the very good category I thought. At least coming off Harry Potter IV, which was a poor film and a BAD transfer, IMO.

If you have read the books and are into the movie, by all means get the 2 disc version. Some nice stuff on it. Definitely worth buying.

BB

Comment

• Vinny
      • Mar 2006

I rented it as I expected it will come out more version like extended for 10times or 100features as new media(HD-DVD/BluRay or something better, who knows? :B ) permit in the future by next movie release.
      I agree with Brandon that PQ isn't the best that I've seen. However the DTS track SQ was decent, especially the griffons in battle scene(well it's disney movie so don't expect too much for the battle scene)

I'm not a big fan of collecting 10versions of the same movie that is. Even LoTR which I loved the books and the movies, I only got the extended edition DVD for the movie
      Pioneer KRP-500M
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Parasound 5125
      Oppo BDP-83
      Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I rented it about two or three weeks ago, the wife and I both watched it and she liked it very much. That sort of surprised me, cuz she won’t even watch 10 minutes of LoTR’s. But this fantasy has cute children and I think that is what gave it the high WAF.
        I myself also liked it, and while it is unfair to compare it to LoTR’s (which I read in the 70’s) because the two films are very different in so many aspects, I thought it held its own very well.

I watch on an old 40” Sony CRT, so I normally won’t comment on PQ, and I have yet to acquire my center channel and sub, but PQ & SQ were both very good from my reference point.

The rental box had two discs, but I don’t believe it had the extra footage, and I don’t often care for the all the extra feature stuff that they cram in to DVD’s these days.

As far as the story itself, some may think it a bit ‘mature’ for some younger children, but compared to the ‘The Brothers Grimm’ actual fairy tales (not the movie) that deals with witches baking and eating children and grandma-eating wolves, it seems fairly appropriate to me. A basic tale of good vs. evil, belief in ones self and how the power of forgiveness can right many wrongs. All good stuff for any child to be exposed to IMHO.

One issue that I noticed was the trite and minimal way the Lion’s ‘return’ is explained. There appears to be a gaping hole in the very short, matter of fact justification, which the book may have expounded upon in more detail. This may have been deliberate on the studios part in order lessen any controversy it could have spawned due to the theological deliberations it has stirred in the past.

If I had read the book, this film may have been even more more enjoyable; nonetheless, it was well worth the watch.

An overall solid :35: out of :5:

As a "family movie” :45: out of :5:

As always, IMHO
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• saurabh
          • Feb 2005

I enjoyed the movie and the SQ, its a fairy tale but well done.
          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
            One issue that I noticed was the trite and minimal way the Lion’s ‘return’ is explained. There appears to be a gaping hole in the very short, matter of fact justification, which the book may have expounded upon in more detail. This may have been deliberate on the studios part in order lessen any controversy it could have spawned due to the theological deliberations it has stirred in the past.
            Nope it was changed slightly in its explanation from the book, but was just about as simple and quick.

In the book, Aslan explains that the witch was unaware that a deeper magic exists which is older than the stone table, by which a willing replacement for the sacrifice will be reborn, rather than as in the movie, where the witch merely "misinterpreted" the deep magic.

BB
            Last edited by Brandon B; 22 June 2006, 03:29 Thursday.

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Interesting…….
              Thanks much for the clarification.

BTW, are you still in Asia?
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Yup. A week to go.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Finally got around to watching this last night. A fun movie to watch. The beavers really cracked me up. The cgi wasn't too bad, though the lion looked a bit strange at times, but Liam Neeson's voice made up for it. All in all I thought it a pretty decent watch and will view it again sometime in the future when I'm in the mood for this sort of thing.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Finally watched this the other day. PQ was good, above average but not FANTASTIC. Though I thought the sound was quite good. The part where Edmond first goes to the Queen's castle and walks over the wolf shot me up in the chair and made me pucker certain nether-regions :lol: Overall a job well done IMO. A good 4/5 :T
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"