X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Chronicles of Riddick - 2004 Unrated Director's Cut

Having seen Pitch Black just this year I was intrigued by the sequel(I'm hearing that 2 more are wanting to be made now..) also having missed this at the theater and liking this type of movie I knew I'd buy it. My expectations were rather low going in due to a piss poor showing at the box office plus the buzz surrounding the film(mostly negative).

First the story:
    Riddick is a bad ass from a distant planet. He has what I'd call some sort of night vision and is not a guy who likes or can handle light. Picking up where the last movie ended, this is in the future by some 5+ years. A new religious race is running around taking over the galaxy wiping out and or converting anyone who stands in their path. They are called the Necromongers. Riddick OTOH doesn't really care unless something/someone gets in his way of living life. People want him much like the previous movie but in this case its much more personal.

Unknowing what this movie entailed I'd say the story is pretty much a far out Sci Fi movie with action mixed in. The movie has a long sequence that I think is pretty much unneeded as I felt the movie dragged a bit.

Watching this film you knew what kind of film you were getting yourself into. The plot is a bit frenetic and the acting is rather bland. Riddick while still a bad ass is stuck with mundane dialog that is suited for a low brow action movie. Judy Dench plays an interesting character called an Elemental. She is a nice addition to what appears to be a hack of a cast. Lots of no names here. The SFX are rather decent but get obvious from time to time. They are not very subtle like I'd prefer.

Still not a bad way to spend 2 hrs and 15 min(the extra 15 minutes is due to the Director's Cut). The DC would have been R Rated if it was resubmitted. The original cut was PG-13.

Dvd Wise:
    Video quality is very top notch. While not reference its a stellar transfer. The video appears to be a bit dark but that is due to the nature of the flick.

Audio wise: this is an aural knockout. The DD 5.1 track is all over the place. Every channel is active. The subwoofer is used ALOT. There is some serious deep bass here. Near Reference quality. Would have been nice to see a DTS track but I'll live as the Video would have likely suffered.

Extras: tons of them. I haven't had a chance to check them all out.

If a far out Sci Fi action flick is up your alley, then this would be a keeper.
    It's hard to recommend a blind buy given the various tastes but it's a stellar concept that stumbles alot.

I personally bought it and don't regret it. The movie is complex enough where I'm going to watch it again this next weekend.

Film: 7 out of 10
    DVD: 9 out of 10.

There are some easter eggs as well depending on which menu you select. I don't think the choice of menu matters as far as the film is considered.

Pop some popcorn and crank it up.
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Watched this movie this afternoon and it rocks :righton: Grab your opcorn: and :beer2:, sit back and watch/listen to why you bought yourself a HT. This movies will give it a helluva workout.

ht_addict

Comment

• Sithlord
      • Aug 2004

Thanks for the reviews guys I will probably pick this one up when it comes out here.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Oh yeah, this is a no-brainer. At least for a popcorn-sci-fi junkie like me. :yesnod:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I've watched my copy of Pitch Black several times so I am looking for to the sequel.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I don't think it's as good but its different. The unrated DC supposedly helps alot so it's hard for me to judge if it is better than the original cut. I would easily say its R Rated though.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Maybe I'll rent first before making a purchase.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

George, rental is a good idea even if you liked Pitch Black. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll like Chronicles as it is more a sci-fi-action-with-some-mysticism movie as opposed to Pitch Black's somewhat unique survival-in-hell premise. There is a bit of continuity from the original as the characters of the Imam and Jack are in the sequel also, but the two movies share them, Riddick and little else.

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

I have to go against you guys on this one. The movie was terrible. And like David says, the only commonality between Chronicles and Pitch Black is Keith David's Imam, who's IQ seemingly dropped 20 points between the films, and Vin Diesel. They are about as different from each other as Tootsie and Platoon. But you might still enjoy this movie if you liked the shaky camera and hyperediting tricks in Bourne Supremacy.

Comment

• markusp
                    • Jul 2004

I rented this movie last night and thought it was awful. I really liked Pitch Black (saw it on a whim in the theater) and felt it was really well done, especially given its miniscule budget. Chronicles was in comparison a giant ego trip for Vin and just proves that a massive budget cannot overcome a clever storyline or clever film making.

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I enjoyed the film. As it was always promoted as a "totally different film" from "Pitch Black". I thought it delivered exactly what it said it would. Though I very much agree with Will 1066:
                      Pitch Black is Keith David's Imam, who's IQ seemingly dropped 20 points between the films
                      . This was a little disappointing. However, I still thought it to be a fun ride.
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Watched Riddick last night and wasn't surprised at the content after reading the comments in this thread. I enjoy a sci-fi action flick now and then so I didn't feel cheated after watching Chronicles. But I have to say that it seemed to drag at times, and perhaps the theatrical cut was the proper cut. I don't know what was put back in for the Director's Cut. If it was in the extras I would have missed it because I only rented the dvd.

Though the picture was very dark overall, the PQ was right up there. And the soundtrack was nothing short of sensational with a low end that scared the heck out of me.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I picked this one up at a good price, but between the Cowboys and Texans both being on TV yesterday, I didn't get to watch it. In retrospect, I probably should have. :roll: I'll try again tonight.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                            Former Moderator
                            • Jan 2002

GEORGE, I am sorry I totally missed this thread. :unsure:

I see from the comments that members here have the same mixed feelings as I about the film. Last night when sitting to write a comment, I sat for a good three minutes trying to figure out how I really felt about the film........MIXED :??

However, I do believe their are merits to the movie. I will definately watch it again.
                            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                              • Sep 2003

great movie and dvd

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                              GameTracker -My List-
                              Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• NMyTree
                                • May 2004

I loved it! Very good Sci-Fi movie.

I rented it last night.

I will buy it this week.
                                Tony

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

I also have mixed feelings about the film, but I did enjoy it, particularly the audio. It's basically a good vs. evil SciFi, with a twist.

In the words of Riddick himself, "It's an animal thing".

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"