X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Battle Of Britain 2 disc SE

I ran this last night and really enjoyed it. It's the first time I saw this film since its theatrical release in 1969 and they did an excellent job on the transfer. The audio is a remastered 5.1 and not all that bad either. It's really about how a small band of British Spitfire pilots took on everything the Germans could throw at them in the air and in doing so, changed the course of history. I'll bet Chris D would love this film. Gonna watch the 2nd disc extras tonight.
    Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 05:05 Monday.
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George, do you know if the video portion has been re-mastered for this 2-disc set? The original release wasn't bad, but. . . .

I hopped over to WSR and IMDB and neither had any info on audio/video.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Hi, George! :later: I'll have to add this to my Netflix list; I haven't seen it. I've got a suspicion it could be comparable to "Memphis Belle", which I loved. I'll definitely see this one sooner or later.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
        George, do you know if the video portion has been re-mastered for this 2-disc set? The original release wasn't bad, but. . . .

I hopped over to WSR and IMDB and neither had any info on audio/video.
        Tex, there is nothing on the cover or inside info that says the video has been remastered. It's called a Collector's Edition. I have never seen it on anything else in the past so I can't comment on any differences in transfer quality. I can say this, on my 92" wide screen the picture looked pretty darn good.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Takatakatakatakataka.... :wink:

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
            I've got a suspicion it could be comparable to "Memphis Belle", which I loved.
            The Battle Of Britain is a good movie Chris, no doubt. Just remember that it was made in 1969 whereas Memphis Belle was made 20+ years later. The camera and film technology was much superior in MB, but with TBOB the planes are mostly real and not CGI. 6 of one, a half-dozen of the other....
            Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 05:06 Monday.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

No cgi but they did have to use models at times because they didn't have many real spitfires to work with. The 2nd disc offers a lot of information about how the film was shot and the problems they encountered while trying to meet the director's demand for "showing it how it really was".
              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yeah, some of the exploding/burning/crashing aircraft were pretty visibly models, but heck, I'd have been REALLY p.o.'d if they'd been doing that to real Spitfires & ME109s. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"