X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

Serenity

Saw it now.....

Overall its a decent movie for Sci-fi fans, decent CG and okay storyline. The best was the surround sound track, I was surprised that the initial Universal Studios clip was also mixed quite well.(Initially I thought something has wrong with my spks) :T .

See details here
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

I really like sci-fi/outerspace fantasy/adventure movies from the top-rate best-in-class (e.g. Star Wars, Gattaca) to ambitious but failed "best efforts" (Dune, Starship Troopers). I'm not a "fan boy" of the genre but I've even enjoyed "Battlestar Gallactica" and "Lost in Space".

"Serenity" came with rave notices from other online sites and from a few friends and coworkers who generally have similar tastes in movies. A couple of them made it sound like it had broken new ground and took us on an unforgettable adventure. So I expected a fun or at least intriguing look into an "alternate universe".

But I also appreciate at least some effort in the set design and special effects to make it look like they weren't left over from some industrial warehouse makeover or CGI 101 at San Bernardino. A little bit of rehearsing by the actors to make it sound like they believed their lines, like they were really part of this alternate universe supposedly being created onscreen, would also be helpful. (Of course, skillful writing helps with that, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on these unfortunate victims, er, actors.)

On the whole, this looks more like outtakes of ideas left over from several discarded pilots thrown together by a committee more used to working on soaps than a first class effort by a team of accomplished professionals who had an inspired guiding vision. I suppose my opinion could change if I were to ever get to the final scenes and discover that, somehow, the wooden acting and ridiculous plot pull together cohesively in a Gestalt revelation at the end. But I value my time more highly than that.

Frankly, I don't understand how this one got such positive buzz. The "User Comments" blurb for Serenity on IMDB says: "Not exactly like the TV show; judge it on its own merit." That's what I'm doing. Check, please. :>)

Burke
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 27 May 2006, 11:37 Saturday.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I added this one to my Netflix cue a few weeks back when somebody posted pics of the movie in HD-DVD format. Pretty pics.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

be sure to Netflix the series Firefly also. I watched the series before watching the movie and for me that was the way to do it.

I enjoyed both the series and the movie very much.
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Already added for me, too! :T Maybe I'll move them to the top of my list, though...
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Just watched it off of HD-cable last night... and I was pretty happy with it. It is scifi so I wasn't expecting Shakespeare and hence was likely a little more forgiving of the actors/writing than Burke :lol: Don't get me wrong, it can't compete with the top scifi movies out there (Alien, Matrix etc) but I found it to be interesting and enjoyable enough to hold my attention and make me want to get the DVD('s) of the TV series. PQ was good and the music/sound effects were good though I found the dialogue was overpowered and a little muttled due in some of the more raucous scenes, (though that could have been with my HD cable broadcasts sountrack. Anybody confirm this about the DVD?)

Overall a solid 3.75/5 IMO :T
            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yes, but Jason, which one was your favorite female character?

I'm still working on getting Firefly disk 4 from Netflix, and then I'll watch the Serenity movie. The thing that actually got me interested in the series to begin was seeing a screenshot of the HD-DVD version. Stunning colors. But seeing as how I'm not going to jump on the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray wagon for a bit, I'll have to wait for that.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I like teh exotic women :P
                Jason

Comment

• sirbogey
                  • Mar 2006

personally I thought it was like another episode of Firefly, just much longer! If you like Serenity make sure you watch Firefly. It's a shame they stopped it after only one season.

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Yeah, I am finally 6 episodes through my Firefly set. Won't get to this movie for another couple months, but I definitely like the series. No surprise considering I liked Buffy and Angel (up to a point) as well.

BB

Comment

• NMyTree
                      • May 2004

I have the TV series DVD box set and the movie DVD. I love it!

Well done, all around. Very entertaining.
                      Tony

Comment

• Glen
                        • Dec 2003

Just got the Firefly box set on the weekend (recommended by a friend).

So far I'm loving it :T

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I just finished the Firefly series via Netflix, and gave it 4 stars. Serenity is in the mail to me now. :dancenana:
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

Well, got to the movie sooner than later, as we finished off the series last week.

Was a bit disappointed. I liked it, but felt it missed the mark somewhat. The actors seemd like they had lost touch with their characters a bit for the first half. Thought the whole feel of the show got "movie-ized" too much for the expanded theatrical audience (i.e. extended action scenes).

I don't know, it just felt like the TV episodes manage to put a more cohesive story and more character development into a smaller chunk of time than the film, and the whole "let's sacrifice ourselves to expose the Alliance's complicity in the death of a planet" seemed to go completely against the crew's whole "let's make our own way and try and not hurt more than we help" attitude they displayed throughout the show. If they had been trying to SAVE a planet of 30 million people, it would have made sense to me. But to risk pretty certain death for a simple exposƩ? Nah..

I'd give it a 3.5/5 using the series as context. Probably on its own too.

BB

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

I didn't think the movie could match the incredible TV series. Fortunately the movie didn't disappoint, great characters, storyline and writing. If you don't like cowboys in space the series isn't for you. TV show was one of my all time Favourites and I have to give the movie :5:/:5: :T Hope the DVD sales are huge so they'll do a Serenity II. -Russ
                              Russ

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Me too Russ, me too.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I checked into that a bit, and from everything I can see, there is NO chance of a recontinuation of "Firefly" or another Serenity movie.

I hope I'm wrong, though, I'd like to see more.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

Well, seems like I should give it a second and third spin. The more I read opinions, the more it seems my reaction is semi-common for first viewing by those who really really liked the series.

I would definitely reiterate that anyone who liked the movie is missing a great show if they haven't watched the Firefly disks. Worth 5X their price for enduring entertainment value.

Comment

• soho54
                                      • Dec 2005

Sorry to raise a dead thread, but...

Brandon B's coments in post #14 in the spoiler section had me thinking. I think you missed why they did this. Remember none of the crew like the Aliance. Several fought together against them in the war. Not only was it a western, there are shades of the civil war there in the series to. With the crew of Serenity from Dixie Land.

I'm trying not to give away anything from the movie here, but I think you will understand.

If not someone is going to have to tell me how to black stuff out. :B

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

all you have to do is put brackets, or [], around "spoiler", and then at the end, "/spoiler". Like this!
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jun 2001

Didn't miss that at all, and I might buy that for the captain and first mate, but the rest, seems unlikely to me, anyway.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

You do get that feeling from the captain and first mate, and even though the captain makes noises like he's moved on, his actions say otherwise. Also, he didn't give the crew any choice about what was going to happen except for "my way or get off the ship".

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• soho54
                                              • Dec 2005

Ok here is my take.
                                              1) The Settlers disliked the Alliances control over them.
                                              2) The Settlers who colonized the outer planets were the only ones who had to deal with the Reavers. All Settler planets were under threat from the Reavers. The Alliance home worlds were not though.
                                              3) Everyone on Serenity was there in order to continue living beyond Alliance control, the sooner the Alliance was gone the better.
                                              4) While running from the Alliance the crew learns of a planet that the Alliance was hiding, in the heart of the Reavers territory.
                                              5) They discovered that the Alliance was trying to create "sheeple" out of the colony there, and made a mistake and created the Reavers.

These things lead to three things running though the crews heads.
                                              1) The Alliance was responsible for the Settlers continuing plague, the Reavers.
                                              2) What better way to prevent another "rebellion," than to render the colonists as passive sheeple.
                                              3) This info would be enough to unite the outer planets and convert a few of the Alliance members as well, in overthrowing the Alliance rule for good.

To each his own though. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Mmm.... I'll just sit and drool while watching Kaylee. She's a cutie.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2006

Dead thread revival

Recently discovered Firefly and watched the series on DVD before I saw (bought) Serenity. IMO,the thing to look for in sci-fi is a good story-the sci-fi part is only there for cool FX.
                                                  Having said that,I thought the FX were pretty good. I think the perception that a selfless act is inconsistent with the "attitude" of the Capt. misses the character's ongoing hatred and resentment of the Alliance. Also the loss of the last great battle , in which he participated. Mal was willing to risk his life to defeat the Alliance as the precursor to Firefly and the basis of the story. Throughout the series , he took advantage of opportunities to tweak the nose of the Alliance.
                                                  Finally , wasn't the movie an attempt to put the second season into one movie? Much like The Peacekeeper Wars was the 6th season of Farscape compressed into one film? My $ .02
                                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                                  Marantz CD5005
                                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alaric
                                                    Finally , wasn't the movie an attempt to put the second season into one movie? Much like The Peacekeeper Wars was the 6th season of Farscape compressed into one film? My $ .02
                                                    That's a pretty apt comparison, I think. A typical season has shows not connected much with the primary plot arc, as well as ones pivotal to it; in Peacekeeper Wars or Serenity you get just the main points.

I loved watching Firefly, and enjoyed the movie at the theater; haven't watched my HD DVD of Serenity yet, I'm saving it for when I get my NEC 10PG fully tweaked. The Westinghouse LCD does the resolution justice, but not the contrast ratio. Firefly was gorgeous on 9PG I used to have in the living room.

For me, this is a real classic series, good story and writing, good character acting, and a great mix of drama and humor (Battlestar Galactica is a recent series I like but it's just so darn "heavy" much of the time - it does also follow in the "documentary" style filming and FX techniques which Firefly pioneered.
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alaric
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

I agree about BG. The show seems to take the whole Gothic atmosphere pretty seriously. Also agree with your take on the structure of Firefly. Along with the story/writing skill displayed , I really enjoyed the character development. Jayne was a favorite , along with Kaylee. The "twixt my nethers" line had me rolling. :rofl:
                                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                                      Marantz CD5005
                                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

One of my all-time favorite film lines comes from Firefly, the "My Dear Mrs. Reynolds" episode. The Shepherd is rebuking the Captain for taking advantage of the girl pledged to him, and says,

"You're going to a special place in hell for that. A special place. One reserved for child molesters and people who talk in movie theaters."

(not to devalue at all the horrors of child abuse, of course)
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"