X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goe2112
    • Feb 2005

finding an old movie

Hello all,
    Just wanted to know if there is a good website that helps people find out the title of an old movie without knowing the title.

Just in case your curious, I'm searching for an older B sci-fi movie. All I remember about this movie is the ending, it takes place on a space ship or space station with a man and 2 robots. Both robots are are there to help this man but one ends up dying for what reason I'm not sure. Also the ship or station had a vegetable/fruit growing section. I've seen this movie when I was younger, in the 70's, and every now and then it pops in my mind. I'm quite sure this movie is a B movie and was probably not very good at all but I always wanted to find out what the title of that movie.

So if anyone knows of a good website to assist people in locating bad B movies please let me know.

Thanks for your time
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hi, Joseph. The film you describe sounds like SILENT RUNNING, starring Bruce Dern as a rebel botanist. I believe it came out in 1972 and it could be available on dvd. Other than the usual movie and dvd review sites, I don't know of any that may help you find a title by description only, though a Google search may get you there.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

It could be The Black Hole too. There were robots in it and a garden on the ship.

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I have a feeling it's Silent Running.

www.imdb.com is a great resource, but I don't know if it would have helped if you didn't have the title.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's Silent Running. I do believe that Black Hole came out later than the 70s, the time frame Joseph refered to.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
            • Nov 2003

Yeah,thats it silent running,the black hole was a disney picture starring enerst borgnine and maxamillon schell.
            Robert

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Actually IMDB is usually THE place to search for a title when all you know is something about the plot. On the home page, click on "More Searches" in the upper left hand corner right under the input boxes in the "Search IMDb" box. Then scroll down to "Word Search", input a few key words that characterize the plot and select "Plots" from the drop-down box. Click "go" and if you are lucky, the ensuing list will yield the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, it might not have helped in this particular seach, since even though "Silent Running" has a listing in the data base, it requires a lucky guess on the key words entry to pull up its plot outline and title ("space greenhouse" works; "space robots" does not). So it was good you came here -- nothing like the collective knowledge of movie buffs. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• goe2112
                • Feb 2005

Thanks guys,
                I appreciate your replies and I looked at both movies through IMDB and it appears to be "Silent Running". I'll be ordering it some time soon.
                Joe

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Anytime we can help, Joe.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"