X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

"Robots" in High-Def?

Well, if you go to the WMVHD website, (Windows Media Video High Definition) you'll see that "Robots" is listed as being a WMVHD DVD. However, if you follow the link from that site to purchase the DVD, you'll see that it's the standard version of Robots, not a specialized WMVHD edition.

That leads me to believe that every Robots DVD has the WMVHD movie on the disc, but I can't find the info anywhere. I looked at a copy of Robots in the store, and on the back it says that it has "High Definition clips" on it, but doesn't say anything about the whole movie.

Can anyone confirm that the Robots DVD contains the WMVHD edition as well? That would be a nice addition to my collection, but I'd rather not buy the standard DVD and then find out that it didn't contain the WMVHD data as well.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
    Can anyone confirm that the Robots DVD contains the WMVHD edition as well? That would be a nice addition to my collection, but I'd rather not buy the standard DVD and then find out that it didn't contain the WMVHD data as well.
    Curious Chris, where do you pipe the WMVHD output? I am assuming you are using your PC for video playback? BTW, is Terminator 2 part of your WMVHD collection?

Sorry if my questions are a bit off topic.
    Last edited by Chris D; 05 December 2016, 12:29 Monday.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

When I integrate my laptop into my theater, I can play the WMVHD in there. If I use the DVI port, I can play the clips in true 720p on my projector. (I could do more resolution, but my projector is 720p) The only thing with WMVHD, is that the multichannel audio is proprietary to Windows Media. So if you have a multichannel sound card, you can play the high-res audio, but you have to use your 5.1 analog inputs.

Yes, I have T2 and about 4 other videos on WMVHD.

Anybody have the answer to "Robots"?
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• rockethouse
        • Nov 2004

I had a look on the net and couldn't find anything but I would tend to agree with you that they all could contain the wmv hd.

Comment

• cinema bob
          • Apr 2005

rent it and check it out

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Well, I ended up buying the Robots DVD last night, and tried it out. You have to install a special "Llama" player program to access the DVD-ROM part of the disc, but I took a chance and installed it in the hopes that I could see the movie in WMVHD.

No such luck.

All there is for WMVHD is a sub-menu to three "Robots" clips, not the movie. They're not even contained on the disc, just hyperlinked for download. Pretty large files, too. (largest 216 MB) I just opened the smallest one and tried to play it, and it told me that my license had expired, so I can't even play the clip. The other two are still downloading for me, as they're pretty big, even with my broadband connection, so I haven't tried them yet, but I suspect they'll be the same.

So, it looks like I was suckered into it by hints that the movie might be recorded in WMVHD, but it's not. Just checked the WMVHD website, and Robots isn't even on there anymore. So I guess you have to be careful on that site and try to discern which links and ads are with WMVHD preview clips of movies, and which are actual entire movies in WMVHD.

I think a good indicator is if the DVD package comes with a 2nd DVD. All my other WMVHD movies contain a 2nd DVD that is just WMVHD. So single DVD's probably won't have the WMVHD version.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

At least I got a good deal on "Robots", and it's a decent flick, too, so it's not like it's a total waste of money or anything.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Yeah, had I known that you were ordering that, I would've warned you.

I've been fighting with the company to return my disc, stating it didn't have the WMVHD content. I was also fighting with MS to mark the thing correctly and it appears they have taken down the whole listing of Robots...

Frustrating to say the least...but that seems to be MS for you... never gives you a straight answer about stuff.

You are right, it's a decent DVD nonetheless.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

That's why I had started this thread. Oh, well, I got the movie cheap.

I AM rather irked that I can't even watch the WMVHD content that is "included" on the disc. How can my license be expired if I just bought the DVD yesterday?

Pewter, any ideas on how I can get some tech support regarding the license?
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

If you right click on the file and go to properties, it should be listed the licensing which group and you can contact them to get the new license for the media file.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Aha! Try it I shall...
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Hmmm... under Properties, and then the License tab, the License Details say "Protected Content". Under the Summary tab, Origin says "Protected Yes".

No other details that I can see...
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Watched this one the other night, pretty good PQ and SQ but while the animation is quite good... when compared to Pixar's better efforts, it falls short. Overall a pleasant and fun movie with good picture sound but nothing really revolutionary. If you have kids it's probable a decent purchase, otherwise a rental should suffice.

3/5
                          Jason

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"