We Were Soldiers

Fox:

Behind Enemy Lines
    Fantastic Four
    Ice Age
    Kiss of the Dragon
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Other notes:

Mi3 will be released on Blu Ray/HD DVD and DVD at the same date when ready.

Stargate Atlantis, Black Hawk Down and Bridge on the River Kwai will be the first 50 gig discs and released at a later date in 2006.

Rumored Disney titles include:

Kill Bill Vol 1
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Hero

The Disney titles are not yet official.

While not alot of compelling titles, it's a start. Not too many compelling titles started when DVD launched IMHO.
  • mitch57
    • Nov 2004

Great! But what are we going to do with them? Buy them and put them on our shelves while we wait to see which format comes to market first with a DVD player that will play them?
    Mitch
    :stupidpc:

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Like anything it's going to take time to ramp up to it all. It didn't help with the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray...if there had been only one, you'd have seen more titles (perhaps better ones). I know I'll definitely hold out for a while, probably the PS3 will be my first real taste of Blu-Ray, just to make sure I like it....then I'll really research the players.

Another problem is since it's only been recent that HD is really starting to take off, there hasn't been enough of a "populous" demand for HD style content. Once more HDTV sets get into the home, HDMI get really well standardized, you'll then start to see people crave for more Blu-Ray stuff.

I know as soon as they put Lord of the Rings on Blu-Ray... I'll have a tough time not wanting to buy them...this will really be made for those exceptionally beautiful movies. I'm thinking the recent "Into the Blue" comes to mind with the beauty of the picture (yes I mean the seascape, not just Jessica Alba). :P
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

There have been player announcements. HD DVD announced one today for $500. You can pre order it on Bestbuy.com. It comes out in April they are saying.

Blu ray players are looking to be more expensive($1k or so) but it's early.

Also Lionsgate added the following titles:

Independent distributor Lionsgate announced its own support for the Blu-ray format as well, detailing its first 10 titles, set to start hitting shelves in the spring: Lord of War, The Punisher, Devil's Rejects, Saw, T2: Judgment Day, Reservoir Dogs, Total Recall, Dune, Rambo: First Blood, and See No Evil, starring the WWE wrestler Kane

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Lionsgate, good local company :T
          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Stealth? They pick a group of movies to premiere this great new format, wanting titles that the public would be interested in, and they pick... Stealth?

Uh huh...

Yeah, I had heard that Rattle and Hum would be in the initial offering. That's cool... it's still my favorite DVD that I own. I don't think a high-def treatment will really get it that much better, but hey... anything to improve my favorite DVD.

On that note, you really have to wonder how much better a HD treatment of these older movies that were filmed in non-HD is going to be, compared to standard def DVD's that are upconverted. My guess is... not a huge jump.

Now... NEW movies, FILMED in HD... those are going to take your breath away.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
              • Feb 2005

And what happens when HD-DVD comes out with some titles, are we supposed to keep 2 DVD player so that we can watch both Blu ray and
              HD-DVD.

This is just crazy.
              Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Ah, yes... it will be years, if ever, I think, before somebody releases a player that can play both. And my guess is we'll never see a TRULY universal player that can play both plus SACD, DVD-A, etc.

Like I posted in TTP, realize that this also means that you're going to walk into Best Buy and have THREE sections of movie discs, many of them duplicates in different formats.

First, you'll have the standard-def DVD section, for those who can't afford a new high def player. Then you'll have the HD-DVD section over there. If you walk this way, you'll find the Blu-Ray section. Good luck finding your movie! What's that, you want to buy a specific title on HD-DVD? Sorry, that was produced by a studio that is owned by Sony and is only available on Blu-Ray. Don't have a Blu-Ray player? Ah, too bad... looks like you can't watch that movie.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

That's why I wish they'd just get to one format... We are at a point where we don't need another VHS vs. Beta.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

Yeah, I had heard that Rattle and Hum would be in the initial offering. That's cool... it's still my favorite DVD that I own. I don't think a high-def treatment will really get it that much better, but hey... anything to improve my favorite DVD.
                    The difference is ALOT. I saw it on InHD a while back.
                    On that note, you really have to wonder how much better a HD treatment of these older movies that were filmed in non-HD is going to be, compared to standard def DVD's that are upconverted. My guess is... not a huge jump
                    A big jump if they properly conserve the title. Titles like Lawrence of Arabia will look fabulous in HD. They show quite a few classics on the HD movie channels in OAR. The most recent of those was Ben Hur in OAR on Cinemax HD and the PQ was mind blowing.

Like I posted in TTP, realize that this also means that you're going to walk into Best Buy and have THREE sections of movie discs, many of them duplicates in different formats
                    There is a pretty strong rumor that BB has a deal with Toshiba to shut out Blu Ray releases at BB. They'll give you the choice between HD DVD and DVD and that's it!
                    are we supposed to keep 2 DVD player so that we can watch both Blu ray and
                    HD-DVD.
                    Samsung has a rumored dual format player. They mentioned this some months back.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                      The difference is ALOT. I saw it on InHD a while back.

A big jump if they properly conserve the title. Titles like Lawrence of Arabia will look fabulous in HD. They show quite a few classics on the HD movie channels in OAR. The most recent of those was Ben Hur in OAR on Cinemax HD and the PQ was mind blowing.
                      Shane, have you compared these pictures with a properly upconverted standard def DVD? I have the HD package from DirecTV, and occasionally watch movies on the channels that you mention. Specifically, I also saw Rattle and Hum when they showed it on one of those channels in HD. As I own the DVD, too, I was able to make a comparison with my DVD played and upconverted by my Denon DVD-3910. Both in 720p. I found that the satellite feed seemed a bit better, but not by a whole lot. Now shows on the HD channels that were FILMED in HD, like the Rose Bowl last night, many Discovery Channel HS shows, etc, those are mind-blowing.

There is a pretty strong rumor that BB has a deal with Toshiba to shut out Blu Ray releases at BB. They'll give you the choice between HD DVD and DVD and that's it!
                      Greeeaaaaaat... this format war will be bad for everybody...
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

I guess I just too long in the tooth. After all the farting around between Bluray and the HD DVD camp I just don't care. Standard dvd suits me just fine for now and probably for sometime until they see who comes out the winner. And I won't be triple-dipping to get those HD titles either: Laserdisc to dvd to HD dvd... uh, uh. Nuff's enuff.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

Shane, have you compared these pictures with a properly upconverted standard def DVD?
                          Yep upconverted dvd stands no chance against true HD. Remember that anamorphic dvds are downcoverted from HD masters. Then reupconverted using your player. In this case they will be downconverted from a 4k master down to 1080I/P and then rescaled to fit what resolution you feed it.

The comparison between Rattle and Hum is a very valid one but on my 1080I set the difference is not subtle.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

If you look at the various photos going on the net you will more titles yet unannounced like:

Armageddon
                            and everything you see on the HD-DVD release list.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Now, to continue the buffoonery of the "Armageddon" DVD's, this new HD-DVD release will also have to be non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                                Samsung has a rumored dual format player. They mentioned this some months back.
                                I wont buy any of them till I find a multi-format player and stick to my good old DVD's.
                                Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"