X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

White Noise

Well I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie.

With that said, I think the story could've been soooo much better (it needed to be a longer movie to draw you in more), but it was a good movie despite that. It definitely kept you wanting to know exactly what was going on and to keep watching until the end.

As the story starts off, I would’ve liked to see a little more background info on what was taking place, you are thrown into this family that Michael Keaton is the father of and has a girlfriend/wife/fiancée...I wasn't sure at first but then you find out they are married and have a son. It takes the first five minutes or so to realize the son is from a previous marriage/fling/or whatever that he had, but they never really went into the background story of what all has lead up to this point. The whole “background info (before his current wife disappears) all happens within the first 15 – 25 minutes of the movie. Just seemed a little rushed and hectic like they were pressed for time (yet the movie is only an hour and a half). I would’ve liked to have seen more done here.

Now I'm one of those people that wants to know as much as I can about something like Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) when it’s in a movie, and while they do go into it somewhat, they could’ve done a better job explaining it. For me there was a lot of questions I had that I wished they would explained... For lack of spoiling the movie I won’t say what my questions were, but I would imagine you’d find them yourselves after watching the movie…

Anyways on to the more important stuff…

The video on it was a little bit dark for my tastes (but I think it was supposed to be that way to add to film). The colors were very vivid and video quality was clean and sharp in most cases. The “images” in the static you could tell was computer generated (DUH!?), but a few of the sequences they showed were really neat looking and to the point where it was tough to tell what you were looking at and blended in with the “snow” on the television screen images. Over all I think they did a very good job! I would’ve liked to see a studio like ILM do those images, I think it could’ve been really cool.

The sound, being it was only DD 5.1, did a fantastic job. While this isn’t reference quality, it definitely has it’s brilliantly scary moments that made the film so enjoyable. Most of the film is very very quiet, I normally listen to films around the 55 – 60 mark on my Rotel RSP-1098, but found with this film I had it upwards of 60 – 65+ at points. In thinking more about it, I believe this is intentionally done to make you crank it up, so when the “action” takes place… BOY, does it get you! The panning of the sound effects across all channels is very well done and sounds come at you from every direction. The surrounds while they aren’t used all the time, when they are used, they really come to life. The score for this movie is very well done and blends perfectly in the movie and is only around when called for. I did have moments where I thought I had muted the movie because there’d be hardly any sound. The film works very well in this aspect because all the sounds and music along with it seem to jump out at you.

Overall, I think this movie is definitely one to rent, and if you are like me, one that likes to have a collection of movies for anytime you want to view a good one, this would be good to add to the collection!

I give it a :4: out of :5: and might have gone as high as :45: if the story had been a little bit better.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Saw it tonight.

I was dissapointed. Just another Hollywood spook-story off the assembly line. The previews even included a trailer for "The Ring 2". I could probably have seen that tonight and not have known the difference.

I'm just waiting for one to come out that is based on a Ouija board, or mysterious crystal ball. It wouldn't suprise me. Maybe the ice cream fairy from "Candyland" will battle the man in the game operation to see who can consume the most souls, and download them on USB thumb-drives. Just add some matrix effects, the singer who helped score gladiator, bake it in the oven for 20 minutes and lay it down with some good ad-placements from pepsi and mcdonalds. :roll:

I'm ready for a real thriller. Hopefully hollywood will put one out sometime soon.

:15: out of :5: - A waste of $7.00
    I guess we have vastly different opinions... oh well :B :lol:
    ~Nick

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

I don't do scary stuff I know I am a girl, but I got freeked out watching the trailer! ops:

There is NO way I am going to see this flick!

aaaahhhhhhhh
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Excellent, thanks for the review, I wanted to like this movie, but haven had a chance to screen it yet. Maybe this weekend if not maybe next.
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I'll go as far as a rental but wouldn't buy based on what I have heard and read about this one.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I plan to view this over the weekend. I like Keaton's work.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I liked it, especially Michael Keaton's work. I also liked the fact that it doesn't run off into "slasher" land, and leaves your imagination to do some of the work. It does have a nice eerie feeling to it, and if you are susceptible the subject material itself will help give you a case of the willies.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

I found it entertaining.I like letting out a good scream during a movie.The sound and picture are also very good. :T

Comment

• Foxman
                    • Jan 2003

We watched it this past Saturday night and thought it was excellent. I was not familier with EVP and frankly I do not know what to make of it but if you watch the extras and see the husband and wife do their thing you might either think they are nuts or you might begin to wonder if it is legit. I was in suspense and enjoyed the movie.
                    IMO

My Movies
                    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Well, I slao got to watch it over the weekend. As stated, it is a well done film. Keaton does a nice job. And the story has great imagination. :T
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                        http://htguide.com/forum/showthread....ht=white+noise

I guess we have vastly different opinions... oh well :B :lol:
                        I'm with you mostly on this one Nick... just not quite as harsh :lol:

I agree with Pewter that the buildup was lacking as was the ending IMO, very abrupt and heading towards anti-climactic, though I guess the fairly "cookie-cutter" story had more than a little to do with it. (How big of a climax can you have if you've already guessed the ending...?)

That said, it was more entertaining than the crap that was on TV lastnight so... I'll give it a generous 3 out 5 for the decent acting and sound but it's definitely a renter at most. Even better wait until it's on your digital movie channels like I did
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"