X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

LOVE SONG FOR BOBBY LONG proves...

Just how wonderfully versatile an actor John Travolta really is. This is a little ( independent) film that also stars Scarlet Johannsen. Got a feeling Travolta did this for next to nothing just to play the part of Bobby Long, a character you won't quickly forget.

A wonderful ( but quiet) story about believable people, down to earth acting, excellent PQ for a little film, and some great New Orleans atmosphere, with a very nice soundtrack to boot.

See it. You won't regret it.
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The listing on IMDB really makes this sound interesting. Thanks George. :T

I've always enjoyed John Travolta as an actor (I'll forgive him for Saturday Night Fever, Staying Alive, Perfect), but I didn't think he had serious chops until Phenomenon. That convinced me.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

There is a twist in the story affecting the three main characters and Travolta's and Johannsen's in particular so I have not said much about the story. Basically Johannsen's mother ( a very important off screen character we never see but get to know intimately) has passed away. Scarlet travels from Florida to New orleans for the funeral but is too late. Her mother's house ( a horrible dirty mess) is occupied by Bobby Long ( a former English professor, now a useless drunk) and a young writer Long has taken under his wing and who will write his ( Long's ) autobiography. The house was supposedly left to Long, the writer and her daughter. When Scarlet enters the picture things happen that allows us to get to know all three characters, and things build to a mildly surprising but believable conclusion.

The movie is really all about character and the acting of all three main actors ( I forget the name of the writer) is top notch, but I'd have to say Travolta steals the film. I believe his acting here surprised a lot of people.
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"