Saving Private Ryan. Is it worth the upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

Saving Private Ryan. Is it worth the upgrade?

I have the old release of this wonderful movie but Im contemplating on getting the 50th anniversary 2 disc edition. Is it worth it to spend the extra money in terms of sound quality and picture quality and extras?
  • Sithlord
    • Aug 2004

Private Ryan SE

My brother purchased the 50th edition region 4 and the sound (DTS) was poor IMO compared to the Region1 which was much better for P & S. The bass was just too boomy on the region 4 and I was expecting the picture to be better and it wasn't on my display. I'm sure the extras are better and thats the reason for getting the new one. I hope this isn't the same for you Region 1 owners.

Comment

• theMaximus
      • Jul 2004

I had a original DVD release and later upgraded to a DTS edition. I'm not sure if 50th anniversary edition has DTS tracks, but I can definitely say that the DTS edition was better than the original Dolby Digital 5.1. I don't think they did any video remastering since the original release. I just bought a DTS edition off of eBay since DTS edition is hard to find at common retail stores.
      Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

The region 1 50th anniversary that is out now DOES NOT HAVE DTS unless you buy the $39 boxset.

Buying this movie w/o DTS is not a good idea. The sound difference is dramatic.

Comment

• theMaximus
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Shane Martin
          The region 1 50th anniversary that is out now DOES NOT HAVE DTS unless you buy the $39 boxset.

Buying this movie w/o DTS is not a good idea. The sound difference is dramatic.
          Just as I thought. However, DTS version is really worth it but does not have any special features due to huge disc space taken up by the DTS track.
          Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Sithlord
            • Aug 2004

Another strange turn of events where Australia gets DTS over the US release. I can honestly say that the Region 4 DTS 50th Anniversary is not as good as the Region 1 DTS track. Thanks for the info Shane.

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

As others have mentioned, the DTS version is far better than the 5.1 --- I couldn't believe how much more detail I heard.

Jim
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Another strange turn of events where Australia gets DTS over the US release. I can honestly say that the Region 4 DTS 50th Anniversary is not as good as the Region 1 DTS track. Thanks for the info Shane
                So no real loss for the US

I will say this much: If you have heard the DTS DVD, You pretty much know how good the DD Laserdisc is. It's VERY VERY SIMILAR. And it appears from what I understand there were atleast 3 different mixes.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"