X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fnou2
    • Aug 2003

ET special edition and DTS ES

I recently bought the 2 disc ET special edition. The cover mentions that the sound formats are dd ex and dts es. When I look at the sound option in the menu none really specify the 6th channel.

I understand that some discs are badly flagged and by pressing the right button on the face plate of my rsp 1066 I will have the DD decoded for ex, but what about DTS ?

Is this a false advertisement from universal or my Rotel can actually decode the Matrix version of DTS even without a flag? Or I get the proprietary xs processing creating the equivalent?

Not a very important question but this has been bugging me for some time.

Anybody can help?

Thank You in advance
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

It's a matrixed track (6th speaker processed from a mix of both surrounds) and not discrete (separate 6.1 channels)

BUT the Rotel would still have to decode the DTS-ES track automatically, the flag thing is just for the DDex tracks I think.

Weird...what is your Rotel ??

I have a RSX-1055...
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• fnou2
      • Aug 2003

RSP 1066.

It is weird.

Does anybody have that disk and faced the same probleme or is it just me?

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

I would like to check, but I don't have that disk...
        - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
          • May 2004

Matrixed 6.1 on Rotel's displays

Hi fnou2,

The “E.T.” problem bugged me to. I have an RSP 1068, and the same special edition discs with the same labeling. Today I remembered that when I had played “A.I.” and “Minority Report” on my previous receiver (an NAD T752) I had been pleasantly surprised to see “DTS 6.1 Matrixed” come up on the screen even though the packaging did not mention 6.1 8O . I played these DVD’s on my RSP 1068 and got the same results as the E.T. DVD. There was no mention of DTS 6.1 on the DVD’s menus, and no change on the 1068’s display when playing them. I thought maybe I remembered incorrectly. However, auditioning these discs revealed significantly better use of the center rears compared to other DVD’s. (I must say, WOW! You’ve gotta love Rotel products even tough they take forever to break in.) :P So, I checked the DTS website and sure enough, all three DVD’s are listed as 6.1 matrixed. I no longer have my NAD to check to see if “matrixed” did show on it’s display, but I’m sure it did. Come to think of it… I have never seen “Matrixed” on the 1068’s display. Do any matrixed 6.1 DTS DVDs on any Rotel products indicate when a 6.1 matrixed DVD is being played or do we just have to trust that all is O.K.?

Cracking Oboe

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

My 1098 will display DTS, DTS + XS (if selected), DTS + PLIIx-C (if selected), DTS-ES Matrix, and DTS-ES Discrete.

Not sure how it would display on a 1068 or 1066..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Don
              • Feb 2003

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get the rsx-1056 to show DD Ex?
              I tried the LOTR (ROTK) but it only shows DD (I even select it from the menu option of the DVD). This one says DD 5.1 EX on the cover.
              I also tried other DVD's that have the DD EX version but it does not show but DD.
              Am I missing something?
              Thanks.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Don,

Do you actually have 6.1 or 7.1 set-up?

The Rotel processors and recivers (like the Denons) only show EX and ES if they are set-up with 6 or more channels - since otherwise they do not need to do the decoding of the extra channels.

Geoff

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                  • May 2004

"DTS-ES Matrix" on the displays of RSP 1066 or 1068

Thanks Kevin D ,

What DVDs were you using when you saw the 1098's display indicating DTS-ES matrix? Any of the ones mentioned?

Anyone out there with a RSP 1066 or 1068 (or a Rotel expert) who has seen 'DTS-ES matrix' on the display when playing a properly encoded DTS-ES matrix DVD? :blink: If so, on which DVD? :thud:

Thanks,

Comment

• Don
                    • Feb 2003

Geoff

I have it setup in both 5.1 and 7.1 just to make sure but still no display of DD Ex. The dvd label says DD 5.1 EX.

Don

Comment

• Tha Freak
                      • Jul 2003

Don, you have to press the "right arrow" on your remote to enable the EX decoding...(trhe flag issue)

Aussie, sorry to say that, but I have set my RSX-1055 as a 5.1 set up and is does decode the DD-EX and DTS-ES tracks properly...they simply redistribute the 6th channel into the L and R surrounds...

And many of my DVD are decoded as "DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete" and "DTS-ES 6.1 Matrixed"

By memory:

Cast away is matrixed
                      LotR are discrete
                      Gladiator is discrete
                      Blade II is discrete
                      - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

The Freak,

Good point & Interesting - I know it should decode in 5.1 for EX and ES but does it show it? (essentially both formats ar backward compatible with 5.1 and require no special deciding for 5.1 - for example DD EX has the 6th channel matrix econded between the rear left and right, in the same way that the centre was encoded in the old DPL. No rear channel and you still have the sound in the left and right)

I haven't checked my latest firmware on the RSP-1098 but it wouldn't show EX unless it was in 6 to 7 speaker mode. Then it does show the option. Either way it would decode the format.

Perhaps they have changed this for the new firmware becuase of confusion by the public?

Sill even on the RSP-1098 with 7.1 I often need to use the SUR+ and then the + key to get EX becuase I have DPL IIx Cin as my default...

Geoff

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Cracking Oboe
                          What DVDs were you using when you saw the 1098's display indicating DTS-ES matrix? Any of the ones mentioned?
                          Thanks,
                          It was a DTS demo disc that has pretty much all the different types of DTS (including DTS 96/24). I just clicked through the tracks seeing what would come up. I would imagine that since it's produced by DTS, all the flags are set correctly..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"