X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

American Sniper

This past weekend, The Wife & I made the rare venture to the cinema for this one.

Lots of chatter out there on this film.

It seems to have riled up much emotion on both sides of the political, moral & patriot chasm.
    Sadly, I see this polarizing result more as a media driven consequence rather than one of actual merit.

This war created deep scares within our country.
    This war was in fact like no other previous war in our country’s history.

I believe we all, regardless of our political, moral, religious or ‘patriotic’ stance, deeply care about every individual who has sacrificed to serve our country with honor, pride & the sense that our mothers & fathers instilled in us that to defend our land, our way of life, our freedom & security and the right of all people to be free is honorable.

But wars like this have no winner or loser.

Unlike the 2nd world war, the world was not saved…. the world is not safer or better as a result.

And too, the victims of this war, as in any war, are the innocent.

Even those who participated & fought became victims, regardless of the ‘side’ they were on.
    This is the core of this film.

And it is presented in such pure, personal fashion so as to make it almost difficult to grasp.

As we left the theater, the first thing The Wife said was, “No matter which side anyone was on, if they tried to do the right thing, they became a "victim.”

Clint Eastwood is no stranger to violence in film acting or making.
    He has truly produced what in my humble opinion will eventually be regarded as a classic film that shows the human consequence & indisputable futility & tragic costs in any act of such intent.

Bravo, Mr Eastwood.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Very nice review Bill ! I'll be sure to check this one out when it comes out on BD/DVD !
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

As a Afghan/Iraq/HOA/Bosnia/etc veteran myself, "Lone Survivor" really hit me hard. I anticipate that "American Sniper" will as well. One of the reasons I haven't seen it yet. But I'll do so eventually.

Oh, and Jesse Ventura can go f%$# himself.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

"Lone Survivor" and "American Sniper" both made an impact on me. It's an extremely tough job and I don't envy any of the characters in either film.

Both are good films that I would recommend to others.

Nigel.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Haven't seen American Sniper yet but Lone Survivor was certainly a thought-provoking viewing experience (as well as a visceral one). I'm a big fan of Eastwood as a director, so I'm sure I'll be adding Sniper to the collection at some point.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"