X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

I saw this last night in a Cinemark "XD Theater" (very nice theater over here, 3D Imax with awesome seats and amazing sound).

Anyone expecting Academy award winning acting is just silly, so I did not have those expectations. The expectations I did have was some awesome action, mildly compelling story and some cool new ways to present the transformers themselves.

I hate to say this thing was just horribly done. The last 45 minutes of the movie I was just ready for it to be over with. The story jumped around so much it was as if they just sat around a table pitching ideas and took every single idea as something to throw into the movie. There were way too many pointless characters. Even the love story portion was extremely lame. I think the general plot was solid, just very poorly executed with way too many offshoots and twists.

The action itself was just over the top. I felt like I was watching a cartoon. Not that the CGI wasn't awesome, which it of course was, but in that how the action happened. One example: When Sam & the military squad were trapped in the building which was being cut in half by Shockwave, and they're all sliding around inside the building and on the outside like rats in a maze. And meanwhile the building is remaining intact in large sections which is ridiculous. Reminded me of Wile E. Coyote or Tom & Jerry.

I was hoping to see some creative new ways to present the Transformers themselves. That didn't really seem to happen. Of course there were new Transformers we hadn't seen before, but equipped the same old ways with the same old weapons and fighting in the same manner. The only "new" things I noticed was Optimus' "bag O tricks" aka his trailer, and Shockwave's tunneling thing (which seemed extremely overpowered for a "lower ranking" decepticon. Megatron seemed like a completely pointless character, and having him wear that hood thing was freaking stupid.

Even bigger spoiler here that continues the thought The ease with which Optimus killed Megatron was ridiculous and made him an even more pointless character really. If Megatron was really that weak, any other decepticon could have taken him out and taken his place (especially Starscream who was already leaning towards mutiny in the first two movies).

The jokes were funny but seemed more like just a way to break up the action. It was all way too deliberate. It honestly felt to me like a group of young children put the scene sequence together. There was absolutely zero flow to the movie whatsoever. It's like they had a deck of cards w/the scenes on it and played 52 pickup to figure out the order.

One thing I did enjoy was the NASA references. They actually filmed parts of the movie at JSC where I work, and some shots at Kennedy in places where I have visited. I thought it was funny that NASA didn't let them use the current launch control center at KSC, as the one in the movie is the old one. It was also great to see a cameo by Buzz Aldrin.

The 3D, as in most 3D movies I've seen, was more of a general afterthought and didn't add much to the movie except in a few specific places (where it was very intentionally a "3D" scene).

In all, if you were on the fence about heading to the theater to watch this one, I'd skip it and just make it a rental. I'm not going to bother buying this one unless I come across it very cheap. It saddened me to see them take the potential this movie had and just flush it down the toilet. My ranking of the series easily ends up with the first one being great, the second one being ok, and the third one being garbage.

edit:
    Oh and one more thing, I had no idea that Leonard Nimoy did the voice over for one of the major characters. I literally said "Oh my God, really?" outloud when he spoke his line "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" at the end of the movie. Lamest cross-movie reference ever.
    -Chuck
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, and I understand opening boxoffice receipts were disappointing. I bought the first one and found it okay, but after renting the second and being really disappointed, I decided to pass completely on number three.

Read a piece this AM where Shia is saying farewell to Transformers. Smart move because it looks like this franchise is now a sinking ship.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

You mean it is even worst than the last one? I didn't think that was possible.

Comment

• maseline_98
        • Apr 2005

I thought the movie was completely over the top, but what can you expect from a michael bay movie....

I did think it was better than the second movie though(by default, it had to be). I agree with the OP, I really couldn't wait for it to end. After the first movie, I had such high hopes for the series. It could have been a series that went 5+ movies, but the last 2 movies where no empire/jedi...lol...

I never understood the unnecessary use of cursing....it was in bad taste and certainly seemed forced. I didn't take my nephew to see because in the last movie those 2 idiot twin robots just had to say the word(pu$$y)....what is the point of it? I understand the need to make "adult" humor, but bay needed to be more tackful. Of course, in this movie, they just had to drop an 'F-Bomb', but only 1 so they could keep their pg-13 rating....they should have just slapped an r-rating on it just smack bay in the face....

This is certainly not a 'must-see'....If we didn't go with my wife's friends, I would have passed on it, but didn't have a choice...I think I would have had a better time seeing some stupid chick flick....

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
        Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• M.Roberts8
          • Jan 2006

impala454: Oh and one more thing, I had no idea that Leonard Nimoy did the voice over for one of the major characters. I literally said "Oh my God, really?" outloud when he spoke his line "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" at the end of the movie. Lamest cross-movie reference ever.
          You know he did a voice in the original 1986 movie as well.

I liked the movie though they definitely are more eye candy than anything else. The transformers movies are weak even by Michael Bay's standards IMO. Don't get me wrong I still like them and will watch them several times I'm sure.
          I thought the incorporating of the canvas cover on megatron was alright they are metal after all. Seemed logical to have him carry the canvas cover somhow. The hooded cloak deal was okay with me.

I too thought he killed Meagtron a little too easy. Megatron was apparently not in top form judging by the hole in his head. I could have stood a little better fight between the two. But maybe they felt it was a little much for a one armed Optimus Prime.

I think it would be nice if they focused on the Transformers themselves. Instead of the humans being the primary characters and the transformers being a supporting species it should be the other way around.

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

hello all,

is it true no DTS MASTER AUDIO??
            June
            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Huh... I don't recall whether it specifically has DTS-MA on BD. But the AVS Forum reviewer gave this BD a perfect 100 for BOTH audio and video! That's a pretty glowing review. I haven't seen the movie yet, (hear it wasn't the best) but that makes it an automatic purchase for me, to try it out for reference demo stuff.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

hello chris,

the special addition may have dts-hd sound. i'm going to redbox trans 3 and wait for the SE. some folks may buy twice but not me. same with the lord of the ring series. i waited for the SE. darm greedy marketing folks!!!!
                June

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

hello all,

the dolby true hd didn't sound bad.
                  June

Comment

• Industrial
                    • Mar 2009

I actually like it the most. Wasn't about Megan Fox being eye candy and more about the Transformers.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I actually enjoyed the movie, I was expecting so much worse with the way people talked about it. I guess I'm just not as critical as most.

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

It was a good audio ride as well and fantastic video.
                        The story seemed over done. Maybe I'm judging it to close but I felt the story was weak. Seems like they always go back in time , pull something out that has been here for years , fight the bad guys , win in the end , Prime sticks his hand out for others to follow. Ok he only had one hand left but yeah , thats all 3 movies.
                        Honestly I did enjoy the movies , it was something to sit back and enjoy the ride, it you don't judge it to much , you can easily enjoy this one. The sound again was fantastic. They kept many of the exact sounds in this one as the last 2. Very well done.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"