X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

X-Men: First Class

Saw this last night at the theater. Great show. Much richer plot than I had anticipated. Did a good job of telling the background stories as expected, but went above and beyond with some of the characters. It really is the story of Magneto, almost akin to the story of Darth Vader in the Star Wars prequels. Obviously excellent special effects. I don't get to the theater often, but this one was well worth it. :T :T

Btw, if you're a hard core Marvel person, there may be a few story hiccups that don't follow along the paths of the other movies. My buddy (who's an insane comic buff) said it well when, while it is a prequel, it's also somewhat of a reboot. If that makes sense. So don't expect everything to fall in line perfectly.

Also a couple of great cameos!
    -Chuck
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I saw the first X-Men and the second. I'm not sure if there was a third before the one you are referring to, I only know I have had enough. I'm not really all that big on comic book stuff going to film, though I did like most of the Batman and Superman films. That last Superman thing without Christopher Reeves just didn't do anything for me.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
      Saw this last night at the theater. Great show. Much richer plot than I had anticipated. Did a good job of telling the background stories as expected, but went above and beyond with some of the characters. It really is the story of Magneto, almost akin to the story of Darth Vader in the Star Wars prequels. Obviously excellent special effects. I don't get to the theater often, but this one was well worth it. :T :T

Btw, if you're a hard core Marvel person, there may be a few story hiccups that don't follow along the paths of the other movies. My buddy (who's an insane comic buff) said it well when, while it is a prequel, it's also somewhat of a reboot. If that makes sense. So don't expect everything to fall in line perfectly.

Also a couple of great cameos!
      Shades of Star Trek (2009)?

I will probably see this at the cinema (if I have the time--suddenly the relatively relaxed summer I foresaw is seemingly overwhelmed with activity).

Comment

• Silver1omo
        • Sep 2010

Hopefully they did a BETTER job than in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".
        Ivan.
        My Statement monitors

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

George: Understood, the superhero stuff is not everyone's cup of tea.

Ovation: I wouldn't say it's nearly as much of a reboot as Star Trek was. This is more like just a few things don't really line up correctly. Reboot is far too strong of a word.

Silver: What do you hope they did a better job of than Wolverine?
          -Chuck

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Yeah, they really are going overboard with all these comic movies.

Just watched X-Men: First Class last night.
            I watched all 16 movie clips/trailer prior to watching the movie, and thought I had the whole movie figured out, but that was not the case. The movie was actually pretty long, and had a good evolving story line. Honestly, I think this X-Men movie was better than the first 3. I really liked X-Men 2, but I liked that First Class had more a stronger story line. Some parts were cheesy, but the movie itself were pretty solid.
            The secret cameos were entertaining. lol.. but I won't spoil it.
            I didn't quite like the ending as it seemed too cliche for Hollywood. "We want to make a sequel so let's all of a sudden end it this way.." That kind of mentally.
            However, overall a good movie, and the best X-Men so far in my book.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

What I don't get yet is if they're somehow planning another one to go in between this one and the the X-Men trilogy... some things seem a little out of place, such as:

1. Prof X claiming Magneto helped him build Cerebro in X1
              2. X3 showing Prof X and Magneto both still apparently buddy/buddy when going to recruit Jean Gray
              3. Mystique essentially being raised by X for at least 10-15 years and they're very close, but then in the trilogy it's like blah whatever there's no relationship.
              -Chuck

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"