• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

What's the deal with "reality TV"???

:lol:

Do people actually think and believe that these shows are real?. I mean, they are MAJOR TV productions with scripts...directors....sound people...caterers....tents etc. They are multi million dollar productions that are made for primetime television!!.

Like undercover boss for example. They are FILMING these people in their work places!!!. Do you really expect me to believe that they do not know they are being filmed?. Sorry folks, I cannot buy that for a second!!. They are being directed and by and large being told what to say and do, where to stand and when to start talking. Same for "Survivor". Do you really think that people in these shows are being given the liberty to say and do as they please??. I know people that actually believe that these shows are live and 'Real' !!!??. Oh my gosh!!!. :roll:

Reality TV DOES NOT EXIST !!!
    Dan Madden :T
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Who cares? Real or simulated, they are cheap and boring.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

True!! Well said Kal.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Cheap being the operative word as far as the networks are concerned. And yet so many of them have such huge followings. Ah well, I have plenty of other things to keep me entertained, thankfully.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Same here. There are only MAYBE one or two "reality TV" shows I actually like. In general they either piss me off, or just totally disinterest me.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Like them or not, all I was saying is that many people 'think' that they are 'real' when they're simply not......nor could they possibly be so when you actually think about it and what recording a TV show entails!!.

Comment

• baniels
              • Nov 2006

I think in the case of Undercover Boss, there is a facade premise that explains the presence of the cameras. Something like the new "employee" is competing with another person for the job - and that competition is the reality show being taped. I haven't watched this, but that is what I heard. A family friend was the "boss" on an episode a while back.
              •L&R Build•
              •Sub Build•

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

@baniels......hummmm....interesting but still very suspicious since many people know about the show and how it works. Also, many of these 'bosses' are quite old and that would not really be worth taping and putting on major, primetime tv, let alone the types of jobs these bosses are doing (ie..manual labour). Sorry but I still can't buy it!.

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

Cheap is absolutly the reason they are popular with producers and networks. But, also, they seem to be liked by a large audience.

I guess I am guilty because I watch the Great Race every season and record it to make sure that I don't miss a episode.

I can't speak for all reality shows but, I know that at least two of them are pretty much what they appear to be.
                  I know two people that work on the Great Race and about the only thing that you don't see is that there are timed meal and rest breaks. Everyone has to stop where they are so it doesn't really have much of an affect on the outcome. The other thing is the camera and sound guys constantly switch which couple they are with so not to get caught up in any one team's drama.

The other show is Extreme Makeover. The show came to our neighborhood and rebuilt a home for a police officer that was paralized from a gunshot wound. I was surprised that they really did do the work by working 24 hours a day and completed it in one week. Having worked in film for more than 4 decades I was amazed at the size of the production company and the incredible logistics involved. I have to hand it to the production staff, tremendous amount of work. Especially knowing that to make the show work they probably have at least four projects going on across the country at any one time.

What I find more upsetting than reality TV is that cable TV equals network TV in commercials. Those of you "old" folks like me remember that the original purpose of pay TV (cable, etc.) was to offer commercial free TV. The subscriber fees paid for it. Now you are pretty much obligated to get your TV from some sort of paid provider and have to endure commercials. Remember when the original Tivo boxes recognized commercials and did't record them? The lobbyist quickly paid off, I mean convinced, the politicians to end that practice.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Extreme Makeover Home Edition isn't exactly what I'd call Reality TV though.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

I get my TV in Hi def free over the air (broadcast) via the digital tuner inside my HDTV using a small outside antenna . Can't honestly say that I would ever pay for TV. The payment is having to put up with the constant, infernal commercials and it seems to be getting worse lately :M !!. It's simply not worth it otherwise. You get a limited amount of stations depending on your location but it's plenty of tv crap for me!!. I get NBC, FOX, CBS, ABC, and All the PBS and some Canadian stuff here in Montreal. More to come once all broadcast TV here in Canada goes digital this August!. Plenty for me. Otherwise, there's Netflix which is kinda' neat and commercial free for very little money. :T

Comment

• baniels
                        • Nov 2006

Amen. I'm plenty happy to watch the good shows (when I can find them) after the original airing... netflix, dvd, whatever. Anything to avoid the commercials.
                        •L&R Build•
                        •Sub Build•

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Agreed!!......Lets start a TV commercial revolt!!. Seems to be the flavor of the month. Anyway, with all the revolts going on around the World right now, our revolt would pale in comparison though......... but we might make it on CNN news if we shout loud enough!!??. Members of HTGuide Forum have finally had enough!!. Hehehehe!!

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

There's a kid in Merrimack NH (about 10 miles from where I live) who's spearheading his own protest/boycott of the Weather Channel since they've gone from providing good weather reports to putting on silly "reality" shows.

Teen calls for Weather Channel boycott

We really don't watch any TV anymore. Heather watches Dancing With The Stars. We used to watch Ghost Whisperer on CBS but that got canceled. That was probably the last really good show on TV.

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

I grew up just south of Merrimack (in Nashua). Of course, when I left, the second Reagan administration was just beginning, a 24 inch console TV was a "big screen TV" and I could still watch movies at Star Cinema on Main Street.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

The Weather Channel has anything on it now other than weather? When I'm travelling, and I need weather info, unless I have internet access, I turn on the weather channel and watch what's going on in the local area. I'd be pissed if I turned on TWC only to find a reality show.

Similar to how MTV used to actually play music videos?
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

@Chris D.....Since you are the Moderator and I know this is off topic but......can you tell me how to get a profile pic on this thing?.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Hey, dude... you mean put a pic or logo by where your name is in each post? In the top left of the page, go to "User CP", then on the left side select "Edit Avatar". From there it's pretty self explanatory.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

Actually that's right. I did figure it out and how to do it but it keeps telling me the file is too large or the wrong dimensions.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Right. I'm pretty sure it says there, something like "max size 100 kb", or xxx by xxx or something. Gotta keep it tiny.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2010

Too tiny for me!!. Even if I take a pic on my 3 megapixel cellphone camera set to low quality it still doesn't work.

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Oh, right. You need to use a photo editing program of some sort. I personally use the standard "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" that is included with most versions of Microsoft Office. If you have Office, it will be in the "Office Tools" folder. Then just crop and/or shrink down the picture until it's less than the limit required. (is it 35 x 35 pixels?) Taking a pic with ANY camera will result in a raw picture that is too big. You must crop and/or shrink.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

Avatars need to be no larger than 150x150 pixels and 48.8 KB or smaller.

Even MS Paint can shrink an image down to that size, or you can get the image resizing powertoy off the MS site if you don't have something else to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"