X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Mega Box Sets of shows

I've bought a couple TV shows on DVD that I currently enjoy, like Heroes, Chuck, and Family Guy. I haven't been too attracted to buying other shows on DVD, though.

For kicks, I added "Quantum Leap" to my holiday wish list, and people bought the first 2 seasons for me, so I'll probably buy more of those later on. Really enjoyed those shows when they were on. But one of my favorite shows I caught occasionally at the end of its run was "Frasier". Quite funny, but also intellectual to a degree. I really liked the dry humor. I was out of the country, or younger and didn't appreciate the show for most of its run. So lately I've liked Frasier reruns.

I found the entire "Frasier" box set on a really good show, and picked it up, all 11 seasons. I realize that there are a lot of shows in 11 seasons, but this is what came in the mail. HOLY CRAP! This is going to take up an entire row on my storage shelf, all by itself. Something ridiculous like 100 hours of content over 40 discs or so.

So I'm wondering what all big box sets you all have gotten into?

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

I've only ever bought 3 TV series sets, one several years ago (Firefly), one over the last year (Star Trek OS BDs) and now Galactica BDs (only ever saw season 1).

First one hardly counts, since it didn't even really finish a season.

I have a hard time finding the value, as there are very few series I will rewatch often enough to justify it in my mind. Trek I can watch over and over, plus I am indoctrinating the kid.

Galactica, we'll see. I may end up regretting the purchase.

Can't imagine a series I'd buy double digit seasons of. And I like Frasier too.

Time for you to build a new shelf.

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

Most of mine are HBO series. Every once in a while Amazon will have a blowout on one or two box sets, so I pick them up on the cheap.

Band of Brothers
      The Wire
      Sopranos
      Deadwood
      Oz
      Lost
      Heroes
      Arrested Development
      Seinfeld
      Buffy the Vampire Slayer
      South Park
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

I have all the Star Trek TNG seasons, and most of the DS9 ones. Also got all the Family Guy, and would like to get all the Good Eats ones (got maybe 25% so far).
        -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

What's the Star Trek: TNG set like?
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PhyrraM
            • Dec 2009

Babylon 5 on DVD. I read something happened to the masters, so there might not ever be a B5 BD set.

Heroes on BD.

Star Trek TOS and NG on VHS :Z

I'd love to fill out the Star Trek collection on BD or DVD, but Paramount tries to charge at least 2x as much as other "regular" series.

Anything else is Netflix material for me, not really going to rewatch, so why invest? EVERYBODY says I need to see the updated Battlestar Galactica, but so far I just haven't sat down and gave it a chance.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm not much into collecting series, but three were must-haves:

Firefly
              Band Of Brothers
              The Big Bang Theory

If it lives up to its billing, I'll be adding The Pacific, too.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

While some of my collected TV on DVD (and BluRay) sets are technically not "mega box sets", since some of them dribbled out one season at a time, I do have complete or nearly complete sets of a few shows that I really like. Some shows that were released a season at a time, I got started collecting and then lost interest after a while.

On DVD:

M*A*S*H
                Cheers
                All In The Family
                The Twilight Zone
                The Bob Newhart Show (where Bob is a psychologist in Chicago)
                Home Improvement (seasons 1 - 5)
                Mary Tyler Moore (seasons 1 - 3)
                Band of Brothers
                LOST (Seasons 1 - 3)
                Prison Break (Seasons 1 -2)
                Alias (Seasons 1 -4)
                From Earth to the Moon
                The Simpsons (Seasons 1 - 7)
                The Prisoner (Sets 1 - 5)
                Arrested Development
                The Office (Seasons 1 -2)

On BluRay:

The Prisoner (Complete series) -- looks and sounds way better than it could have on our TV sets when originally broadcast. The intriguing story is still the same.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Oops, I forgot From The Earth To The Moon. Thanks Burke.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Looking over my list again, the thing that amuses me is that it might look like I'm some kind of TV fan(atic). However, I haven't watched broadcast TV since the Superbowl, February 2007.

These days, only reason the set gets switched on is to watch DVDs or BluRay, including, obviously, DVD sets of TV shows. I much prefer to watch the shows completely commercial free without fast forwarding or mis-timed "skip-gaps" and according to my own schedule. Tivo-type time shifting can achieve the latter for a few episodes although not the whole multiseason series, but did not seem able to quite pull off the former. Plus in most cases, the DVD/BluRay tends to look and sound better than the broadcast of the same program (even when purportedly broadcast in HD).

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
                      I'm not much into collecting series, but three were must-haves:

Firefly
                      Band Of Brothers
                      The Big Bang Theory

If it lives up to its billing, I'll be adding The Pacific, too.

:T On Firefly , with Serenity. Still working on Farscape. Also have the complete Sopranos and my wife has every episode of Emergency (!). I think my daughter has the Monster Garage set.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                        Looking over my list again, the thing that amuses me is that it might look like I'm some kind of TV fan(atic). However, I haven't watched broadcast TV since the Superbowl, February 2007.
                        Uhhhh... pi$$ed off at the winner of the game, and threw your remote control through your TV set?
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

Uhhhh... pi$$ed off at the winner of the game, and threw your remote control through your TV set?
                          Not quite -- pi$$ed off at ComCast for dropping and restoring the signal so many times during the game it seemed like I was in a disco. Cancelled cable the next day and haven't looked back (so to speak).

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                            • Sep 2009

I've got LOST seasons 1-4 on DVD. If I ever get back into the series, I'll pick up 5 and 6 on BRD.
                            -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"