X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Saw True Grit Today

Step aside Kim Darby, Hailee Steinfeld owns the role of Mattie Ross. I'll take Jeff Bridges over John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn also. But then, I had a run in with John Wayne on a Wells Fargo Commercial shoot and think he was a drunken blowhard. I was fresh back from Vietnam and he thought that acting the part of a soldier was the same as being one.

You take a already decent story and add in dialog rewritten by the Cohen Brothers and a great western is reborn. Of course that means dark humor and more action than the original. This is worth leaving your home theater and seeing on the big screen. Josh Brolin and Matt Damon are great also. The usual fantastic cinematography from Roger Deakins adds a lot to the movie making this more interesting then the original.

My wife and daughter also loved it.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

From what Ive read of the Coen Brothers version, it pretty much follows the book. I read the Portis novel before the original film was released. The Hathaway version strays considerably from the novel. Now, if the Coen Brothers do follow the book, I can see why it would be right up their alley as the book's dialogue and some of the situations were really off the wall, just like the Coen stuff.
    Unlike you, Bob, the Duke is a big favorite of mine and I really wasn't happy to see a remake. But after learning what I have, I will be seeing this and viewing it as a different film rather than as a remake.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Don't get me wrong, I like many John Wayne movies. I just don't respect him.
      I love "Long Voyage Home", "The Quiet Man", "McClintok".

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Merry Christmas, Bob. It's always a pleasure chatting with you at The Guide.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

Hey George,
          I saw a interveiw with Jeff Bridges after seeing the film. You are right, he stated that the new True Grit is based on the Portis novel rather than the older film script.
          He said that he stayed away from watching the John Wayne version but, read the book for information on his character.
          You have a great resevoir of knowledge on all things regarding fictional westerns. I read all the Zane Grey novels that my grandparents had when I was a kid. Now it looks like I should look up Portis. Who else is a good western writer?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

A big favorite of mine is Jack Shaefer who was more known for his two biggest selling novels, Shane and Monte Walsh. Another favorite of mine is the prolific Louis L'Amour. Then there is Luke Short, Larry McMurtry and Ernest Haycox. There are others, of course, but the names of those I mention here had many of their western novels made into movies, and many were good ones to boot.

I'm only aware of two books by Portis, True Grit and Norwood. I don't believe he was all that prolific.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
              • Jan 2006

I just saw True Grit last night and while I had my reservations going into it I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it as well. It has been awhile since I saw the original so I couldn't really say what all was different. I too got a kick out of the young lady who plays Mattie thought she was brilliant.
              I will be buying this one when it comes out on blu-ray. I second Bob's recommendation of leaving home and catching this one on the big screen. :T

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                I just saw True Grit last night and while I had my reservations going into it I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it as well. It has been awhile since I saw the original so I couldn't really say what all was different. I too got a kick out of the young lady who plays Mattie thought she was brilliant.
                I will be buying this one when it comes out on blu-ray. I second Bob's recommendation of leaving home and catching this one on the big screen. :T
                Seconded (although I saw it two nights ago and did not have any reservations--too big a Coen Bros. fan to worry).

The girl deserves an Oscar nod. And going back to an earlier thread where we talked about remakes in general, I would suggest the following:

Don't think of this as a re-make of the John Wayne film. Think of it as a fresh adaptation of the original source novel (just like Kenneth Brannagh's Hamlet is not a remake of the one starring Mel Gibson but rather a different adaptation of the original play).

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I enjoyed the flick. a bit different from the typical western, with strong character development. Very good.

Interestingly, like "King's Speech", I didn't feel that it reached the level of "Best Picture" in an average year, but yeah, still quite good.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

True Grit ( 2010) is now in my collection and i watched it last night. It is almost page by page from the Portis novel, including the ending. While the 1969 Henry Hathaway directed version starring the Duke will always be a favorite, I was never happy with how much they veered away from the novel. Now I can watch both versions for what they are and enjoy them both from a different perspective. I liked Bridges as Rooster, but not as much as I liked the Duke's version, and though I like Barry Pepper as an actor, I much preferred Robert Duval as Lucky Ned Pepper. On the other hand, Matt Damon was great as LaBeouf while Glen Campbell stunk in the original. I had a lot of fun comparing the two versions in all respects so the next time I watch either, I will just sit back and enjoy.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

According to Boxoffice Mojo, Coen Brothers TRUE GRIT had the highest boxoffice opening of any straight shooting western. And so far it is the Coen Brothers highest grossing film ever. Anyway, with such boxoffice success, there's always hope that maybe, just maybe, the western is positioned to make a comeback. I hope, I hope, I hope.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• David G
                          • Jan 2005

I have to say that I really disliked this movie.
                          Firstly for the lead female character who seemed more like a precocious brat from a 2010 sitcom than a simple girl in the harsh days of the 19th century. Any child, especially a girl who spoke to older men the way she did would surely get her ass whipped. How was she so knowledgable about legal matters? It's just not believable at all.
                          Secondly prepare for the mumbling Jeff Bridges. I would seriously recommend you turn on the subtitles.

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Mattie was supposed to be precocious , due to her education (knows "legal stuff"!) and taking care of her family after her father's death. The character was true to the original. The 'harsh days of the 19th century' made for some strong-willed individuals. At least that was my take on the character.
                            Last edited by Alaric; 23 October 2011, 09:51 Sunday.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Alaric
                              Mattie was supposed to be precocious , due to her education (knows "legal stuff"!) and taking care of her family after her father's death. The character was true to the original. The 'harsh days of the 19th century' made for some strong-willed individuals. At least that was my take on the character.
                              Mine, too, Lee.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Hi , George! :later: I'm certainly no film expert , it's just how I perceive the Old West in general I guess. The latter half of the 19th century saw the west settled by the survivors of places like Antietam and Chickamauga. These were folk who "Won't be insulted , won't be lied to , and won't be laid a hand on." if I may paraphrase and borrow one of the Duke's lines.
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by David G
                                  I have to say that I really disliked this movie.
                                  Firstly for the lead female character who seemed more like a precocious brat from a 2010 sitcom than a simple girl in the harsh days of the 19th century. Any child, especially a girl who spoke to older men the way she did would surely get her ass whipped. How was she so knowledgable about legal matters? It's just not believable at all.
                                  Secondly prepare for the mumbling Jeff Bridges. I would seriously recommend you turn on the subtitles.
                                  Actually, having taught the history of the American West, I can state the character was not unbelievable. She does not represent the typical 14 year old girl of the period, but she does not represent an anachronistic character either. Moreover, the character is true to the novel, so the adaptation does not fail on that count.

You are free to dislike the movie, of course--as is the case with any form of art. However, Mattie is not an impossibility for the period. Also, if you recall, LeBoeuf does indeed try to "whip her ass", so it is not that her behaviour and attitude are unquestioningly accepted.

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"